They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

apple imovie exporting question

For our MAC users, questions about the various Video Editing software products.

apple imovie exporting question

Postby grekdare » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:26 pm

HI there, and thanks in advance for even reading this.
I bought my daughter a new Apple Imovie, and she has produced and edited a political campaign commercial that needs to be at the TV studio tomorrow am. They need it on Minie DV, which is what she shot the spot on, and imported it on.
She is aving issues getting the finished product exported back onto a Mini DV tape.

Does anyone know what the correct procedure is for doinf that?

The instructions for the new imovie unit are not readily available.

Thanks

Craig
grekdare
New User
New User

Re: apple imovie exporting question

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:32 pm

Hi Craig,
Only a few Mac users here and most of them are Final Cut or Final Cut Express users.
Sorry to hear you are having trouble though.

Check out this link, it might be able to help you
http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/Idoc ... Movie.html

Please check back and let us know what happens :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:43 am

Hi, Craig.

iMovie is usually pretty intuitive about these processes. And, if you were able to connect and capture from that camcorder, you should be able to port the video back into it. Can you tell us more about what exactly you're doing and what is or is not happening?

Meantime, two mitigating factors:

1) Some newer camcorders strangely aren't capable of recording! I don't know why camcorder manufacturers are disabling this feature, but this could be the case. Can you confirm that your cam is capable of receiving and recording video?

2) By the same token, some older camcorders in Europe and the UK were designed with the record feature intentionally disabled! It's a copyright issue, and I guess they wanted to make sure people weren't copying commercial videos or something. I think the law was eventually changed -- but it could be that this is the case, if you're in Europe or the UK.

In both these cases, it's a design 'feature' in the camcorder itself. So, before we troubleshoot iMovie, let's confirm your camcorder does indeed record over FireWire.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:06 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:
...By the same token, some older camcorders in Europe and the UK were designed with the record feature intentionally disabled! It's a copyright issue, and I guess they wanted to make sure people weren't copying commercial videos or something......

I think that it may still be the case that on some cameras this feature is disabled for exactly the reason that you mention, Steve, because where the feature is not disabled the camera carries a higher tax, which is a bit of a disincentive to camera manufacturers who wish their products to be price competitive.

Of course the extra tax collected is used to re-imburse copyright holders.... :???: (don't be so cynical, of course it is! Just like all of those green taxes that are collected are spent on the environment).
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to MAC