They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

24" iMac

For our MAC users, questions about the various Video Editing software products.

24" iMac

Postby ryan_khoo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:54 am

Although I mostly use Sony Vegas now, I am now looking to learn another one or two other video editing program.

I am thinking of maybe Premiere Element but my experience last time was very frustating bcos I cannot master the Titles, it keeps doing thins which I did not want it to do.

I am also thinking of iMovie 6 or Final Cut since I was told that Final Cut is the "Industry Standard". To do this, I need to buy a Mac.

But I have been reading in the Apple forum that the iMac has hell a lot of problem importing from vodeo camera thru the firewire. See this link:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... &tstart=45

Any one uses the latest 24" iMac here ? Can attest whether this problem still persist ? Has Apple resovle it or it is still a problem ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: 24" iMac

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:55 pm

The iMac is a nice little computer, within its limitations. And you should definitely be able to FireWire miniDV into it with no problems.

If you do decide to go Mac, don't bother with iMovie. It's a nice toy but, if you're going to spend the extra money for a MacIntosh system, at least put up the $250 extra for Final Cut Express -- roughly the equivalent of Premiere Elements but with many more professional features and the usual MacIntosh user-friendly interface.

And never judge a product from the rants on the product forum, by the way. Remember, you only see the worst there. And I have no doubt that an iMac running Final Cut Express and a miniDV camcorder will be a very happy marriage indeed!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:52 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:The iMac is a nice little computer, within its limitations. And you should definitely be able to FireWire miniDV into it with no problems.
Can I humbly ask whether anyone here has succesfully FireWire miniDV into iMovieHD6 ? I really do not want to be purchasing a Mac and then faced with the same problem described by those in the Forums. Thanks

If you do decide to go Mac, don't bother with iMovie. It's a nice toy but, if you're going to spend the extra money for a MacIntosh system, at least put up the $250 extra for Final Cut Express -- roughly the equivalent of Premiere Elements but with many more professional features and the usual MacIntosh user-friendly interface.

I find the iMovie is better than Windows Movie Maker. Can I conclude to say iMovieHD6 is something Premiere Elements where as Final Cut is something like Premiere Pro CS3 ?

And never judge a product from the rants on the product forum, by the way. Remember, you only see the worst there. And I have no doubt that an iMac running Final Cut Express and a miniDV camcorder will be a very happy marriage indeed!

Actually, it worries me bcos there are so many of them complaining not being able to import via firewire and those guys are doing video editing for a living. So, I thought it must be a cause of concern.

Thanks & Cheers
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:18 am

Well, I can't speak from much experience with an iMac. I use a G5 at work, and have never had a problem running anything on it. (Well, all computers occasionally crash for no apparent reason -- but no more often than my car stalls when I let the clutch out too fast.)

When I was training to use the new CS3 suite of programs, I was surprised to learn that all of the trainer computers were Mac Minis -- even less powerful than iMacs. And they packed plenty of power.

Most major cities also have a MacIntosh store. (Even little old Milwaukee does.) And, if you do have any problems, you can carry your computer right in and someone will give you one-on-one tech support for it.

With MacIntosh you're buying a premium machine, Ryan. And, although no computer works 100% perfect 100% of the time, I would be very, very surprised if you had any problems.

If you want some real world testimony, try posting to the Final Cut Express area of this forum. There are a couple of very happy campers there.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:18 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Well, I can't speak from much experience with an iMac. I use a G5 at work, and have never had a problem running anything on it. (Well, all computers occasionally crash for no apparent reason -- but no more often than my car stalls when I let the clutch out too fast.)

When I was training to use the new CS3 suite of programs, I was surprised to learn that all of the trainer computers were Mac Minis -- even less powerful than iMacs. And they packed plenty of power.

Most major cities also have a MacIntosh store. (Even little old Milwaukee does.) And, if you do have any problems, you can carry your computer right in and someone will give you one-on-one tech support for it.

With MacIntosh you're buying a premium machine, Ryan. And, although no computer works 100% perfect 100% of the time, I would be very, very surprised if you had any problems.

If you want some real world testimony, try posting to the Final Cut Express area of this forum. There are a couple of very happy campers there.

Thanks Steve, actually I have no doubt that Mac is a good machine. I am also sure that Final Cut is great (was told that Final Cut is the industry standard).

But actually, I think if I purchase, I intend to use iMovieHD6 more bcos I haven't each the level of professional (I am doing all this video editing only as a hobby to impress my little boy. Hahaha). So I would be glad if the system can firewire MiniDV into the iMovieHD6.

Anyway, my perception is that Adobe Premier Elements is the equivalent of iMovieHD6 while Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 is the equivalent of Final Cut. Is this perception of mine correct ? Please kindly correct me f this perception of mine is I am wrong.

Thank you & Cheers.
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:30 pm

No. Premiere Elements is more the equivalent of Final Cut Express -- though it's not really "equivalent" since FCE costs twice as much as offers some very professional features.

iMovie falls somewhere between Windows MovieMaker and Premiere Elements. Even its HD6 version drives me absolutely bonkers with its limitations! One video track; three audio tracks; so many automatic things and no way to manually control them (like the volume levels for specific points in your video).

But, as I said, it all depends on your goals. Maybe you just want to slap together your videos, let the program do all the work and have something cool to show to your friends.

I much prefer working with a lot of video and audio tracks and using effects, transitions and motion paths that are infinitely customizable.

But THAT might drive you bonkers!

It all depends on if you're somebody who actually LIKES the process of video editing. I do. And I love spending hours and hours getting it just right.

That's not what iMovie is all about though. It's about making very little effort look very good, as automatically as possible.

So there is no right or wrong answer. It's just what workflow blesses your heart.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:58 pm

Thanks Steve for your insight.

On a separate question, what do you think of the rumour that Apple is gonna come out with "something" very soon.

Some speculated it is a new Mac Pro and some say it may be a new iMac. I wouldn't want to be purchasing an iMac today only to be told the next day that a new iMac is launched

What is your take on that ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:00 pm

The one thing I DON'T LIKE about Apple is that it hypes every new product like it's the second coming -- and the press cooperates with them.

You can't beat Apple, or any technology, at the wait-and-see game. No matter what you buy, 6 months from now the Next Big Thing is going to make it obsolete.

If you like the iMac, you should buy it. The Next Big Thing is likely going to be overpriced anyway. (Think of those poor guys who stood in line overnight for the privilege of overpaying for iPhone a couple of years ago.)

At least if you buy current technology, you're dealing with a known quantity.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:05 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:
If you like the iMac, you should buy it. The Next Big Thing is likely going to be overpriced anyway. (Think of those poor guys who stood in line overnight for the privilege of overpaying for iPhone a couple of years ago.)

At least if you buy current technology, you're dealing with a known quantity.

Totally agree with you, Steve.

That is why I ask you. The reason is because if there is a new iMac2, then the current iMac will be cheaper. :-D

I usually buy "one step below the latest" :)
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:12 am

You're a wise man, Ryan. :bigsmurf:
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:18 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:You're a wise man, Ryan. :bigsmurf:

That's why I need your opinion (or guess) on whether there is any credence to the rumour that a new iMac is coming out ?? :)

image062
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:39 am

There's is ALWAYS a new iMac coming out -- although they may call it something slightly different.

It's as I've said. This industry is built on the concept of making whatever you buy obsolete within 3-6 months.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:46 am

Hi all firewire experts,

Can I ask something about firewire.

The specs in the iMac says it has a firewire400 and firewire800 port.

What I know is the firewire in our video camera is either 4 pin or 6 pin.

So what is firewire400 and firewire800 ? Is it Apple's way of describing 4pin and 6 pin ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:42 am

ryan_khoo wrote:
So what is firewire400 and firewire800 ? Is it Apple's way of describing 4pin and 6 pin ?

Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire
There are two speeds for Firewire, 400mbps and 800mbps, most of us use the 400 version ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:45 am

Chuck Engels wrote:
ryan_khoo wrote:

Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire
There are two speeds for Firewire, 400mbps and 800mbps, most of us use the 400 version ;)

Thanks Chucks for the article. Didn't know a firewire can be so complicated :-D

I used to just buy either a 4 pin FW or 6 pin FW. That article says that

"firewire 800 is backwards compatible to the slower rates and 6-pin connectors of FireWire 400. However, while the IEEE 1394a and IEEE 1394b standards are compatible, FireWire 800's connector is different from FireWire 400's connector, making the legacy cables incompatible".

Since Apple is rumoured to get rid of FW400 in their future Macs, does that mean our camcorder that uses FW400 cannot be connected to Apple ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Next

Return to MAC