They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Questions of switching to Mac and possibly Final Cut

For our MAC users, questions about the various Video Editing software products.

Questions of switching to Mac and possibly Final Cut

Postby Sara J. » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:38 am

I am looking at buying a new computer. I have used PE elements for a couple years and I am looking to move to Pro. I don't have any experience with Final Cut, but that has also been suggested to me.

I have used my Dell computer, but I have been looking into the Mac Pro with the 8-core. I am looking for opinions on PC and Mac change and using the Adobe software. (I can also use education discounts) Also is there more I need to think about with memory and video cards ect. when I build a computer. I mostly use the computer for video editing and Photoshop. I also need the ability to create presentations and my only experience has been with PowerPoint.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

P.S. - I have done a side business of video editing. If your interested you can look at my web site at http://www.SJ3Video.com

Anyway, I am looking for great performance. My small home business has just taken a big leap to working with 3 funeral homes on video memorials. So I need to be able to work faster. I have been using PE Elements to do all my editing, but I am interested in learning more and upgrading.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I really need to decide if I want to leap to Mac or stay with PC. Then of course I need to know what people think about PE or Final Cut.

thanks.
Sara J.

Re: Questions of switching to Mac and possibly Final Cut

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:47 am

Hi Sara,
Happy to hear of your business going so well, congratulation :)

You will find a few topics in this forum about Final Cut Express from Dee Dee, she has made the switch but still seems to prefer Premiere Elements.

I for one don't know why you would want to switch to Pro or Final Cut, there aren't a lot of things you can't do with Elements.
I do lots of professional work and 90% of it I do in Elements, even though I have CS3 and After Effects. It doesn't make sense to have a bunch of features you don't need or won't ever use.

I suggest spending the extra money on a computer that will speed up your render times and DVD burning, that will make huge improvements.
Get the top of the line, dual, dual core processors, lots of hard drives, lots of RAM, the best you can afford. The additional processing power will make more difference to start with than the pro software will, talk about Bang for the Buck :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Sara J. » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:03 pm

How about the difference between PC and Mac platform. It seems that Mac can be a more powerful system right now, unless you can point me to something that I'm missing. However, my experience has been only on PCs and I don't know how the new leopard program and Macs and Adobe software interact. Do you have experience with both and have a preference?
I have read many complaints about Vista and it doesn't make sence to me to buy an entire new system just to install an older version of an operating system.

Also I am curious about the After Effects. Is this something that can work well with Pre. Elements or is that just something that is an add on with the pro? There are some more visual things I would like to be able to do. I feel limited with some of the texting options with PE.

thanks,
sara
Sara J.

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:23 pm

Personally I don't like working on MACs, just my preference.
I had to use a MAC and Final Cut last night, don't like it at all - just my opinion of course.
It was a good thing that they also have Premiere Pro, so I switched to that and everything was fine :)
For me it is mostly a learning curve, I can produce the same thing in Premiere in 1/2 the time. I don't have the time to learn the MAC or Final Cut right now.
There is really no difference in power, you can get a PC that has just as much power as a MAC, and it will cost you less $$$

After Effects is a stand alone program that will work with any and all video editing software.
I have used it with Premiere Pro, Premiere Elements and on a MAC with Final Cut.
One thing to remember is that it will take some time to learn (maybe lots of time).
The cost is rather high but the results can be amazing. Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro include many of the things that you can do in After Effects, depending on what you want to create you may not need it. That is what makes this forum so great :) Most of the people here have tried it already and can tell you how it is done and if you need other tools or not.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:57 pm

I've already shared many of my thoughts on the Adobe forum, Sara.

As I said there, the main things to consider are what your source is for your video, how intensely you want to edit and what you plan to do with it once you're done editing. I believe you said you were dealing with a variety of sources, including personal DVDs, supplied by your clients.

That said, if you can afford it, I still vote for the Mac and Final Cut Xpress.

Not that there is anything at all wrong with PCs. But, with deep pockets and no time to deal with the occasional eccentricities of a PC, you might as well go for a powerful Intel-based Mac, a 22" Cinemascreen monitor and Final Cut Xpress.

That's another of my not-so-humble opinions. If you do decide to go Mac, don't cheap out. Be willing to put your money into it and most likely you'll feel more like you've got your money's worth.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Sara J. » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:32 pm

Thank you all for your input. I will be comparing a few things and let you know what I decided. I have been very glad to find support from groups like this if I needed assistance. My only other concern about changing platforms and programs is that I won't have the great support that I have gotten using PE software.
Sara J.

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:04 pm

You might want to check out, and post something, in Dee Dee's topics here
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=972
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=705

There has been quite a bit of discussion already about the advantages of a MAC over a PC.
Dee Dee is a huge MAC lover after using a PC, she can add a lot of insight about making the switch and why.
I think you will find that many of the Final Cut forums are not as friendly as we are here, sorry to say.

We are trying to build up our MAC and Final Cut presence, maybe you can help us with that Sara :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gooder » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:08 am

Hello Sara,

Also, with the Pro version you can purchase many more plug-ins that are created especially for Pro. It comes with Encore CS3
(DVD Creation software ) and in my opinion it has a wealth of features, and the both of them have been very stable on my PC system.

It is true that Elements can do almost everything but I did not like the problems that have been reported in Elements 4 (for certain machines and users). That said, the knowledge on this forum have provided workarounds for such problems and fantastic support! You will not find a better forum that offers so much!

I could still see myself using Elements 4 but now that I upgraded from Pro 1.5 to CS3 I have no real use for Elements!
I also use After Effects 7 Pro and Photoshop CS.

Mac or a PC is a whole new debate :)
I think it also comes down to what machine you would like to work with and the operating system. Along with what software is available for that machine!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Sara J. » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:05 am

When you made the switch from Elements to Pro and the creative suite, was is a big learning curve? Are you happy with Pro?

It seems to only make sense for me to take advantage of the Educational discount while I can with and get the CS3 Production suite for $600.
Sara J.

Postby Gooder » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:28 am

Yes, I am very happy with Pro CS3!!!

The learning curve is there but after using Elements 1 and getting a good book along with some Tutorial DVDS, I quickly managed to learn it.
I'm a very quick leaner when it comes to video software but even I am still learning, especially with After Effects!

You can also still use your elements along side pro. I use Elements 1, Pinnacle Studio 9 plus, Magix Movie Edit pro 2004!
You could also try downloading the trial version of Pro CS3 and see what you think of it?

I know a few other members in this forum have gone for the Pro verson and maybe they will jump in with more thoughts on this!

Elements 4 does have more easy options such as animating text and effects but I do all my animating in After effects, harder but it can do more!

Hope it helps
Cheers,
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Sara J. » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:25 pm

ok. Doing more comparisons - you all are very right that you can get more for your buck staying with pc. If I stay with PC - is Vista as much trouble as I have heard?
Sara J.

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:38 pm

Vista is actually a very sound operating system. Bloated a bit (especially if you turn on the Aero interface), but sound. It's only that the drivers haven't quite caught up to it. SP1, which is due to be released this month, should fix most of it.

It's impossible to measure which OS gives you more "bang for the buck", no matter what supporters on either side say. Some processes are faster on a PC; some are faster on a Mac. There are hundreds of times more software options available for the PC than the Mac; but do you need 100,000 options? Certainly there's more free stuff available for the PC; but there's also lots available for the Mac.

Macs don't "break" as often as PCs -- but when they do, they're a lot harder and more expensive to fix (in my experience anyway).

In short, there is no one single benchmark for comparing one to the other. They each have great advantages, and great disadvantages.

As Chuck has implied, most of the challenges you'll face in PC-based software is at the lower end. The CS3 versions of PC software are every bit what their Mac counterparts are, particularly if you've got the hardware to back them up.

In short, eventually this decision is going to be entirely up to you. Which environment you feel more comfortable working in. There probably is no wrong answer -- but a right answer is ultimately going to be impossible to quantify, Sara.

In my not so humble opinion anyway.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:56 pm

Remember, a lot of times it's the operator behind the keyboard that has the problems, not the system. If you feel that you're savvy enough on computers (you sound as if you are) in general, then you should have no problem with what ever avenue you choose.

I have 3 computers, 1 XP and 2 Vistas. No problems with any of them.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Elvira » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:47 pm

I have now worked with Final Cut Pro (version 5.1), Final Cut Express (all versions) and Premiere Elements 3 and 4. (I have had to downgrade back to Elements 3 because Elements 4 became so buggy and unstable it was ridiculous!) I think that they are similar enough so that you can make the transition to Final Cut if you've been using Premiere Elements. Let's put it this way–of all the Windows-based video apps, it's my favorite, because it's closest to Final Cut. (And because it has plenty of video tracks–I tend to use more than a few in my little video projects.) I really don't think that the learning curve will be all that bad if you go in realizing that you'll probably have to consult your manual now and then.

Okay, I'll say it–for the kind of work I do (sort of artsy-fartsy goofy experimental stuff), I find that Premiere Elements does not have all the tools that I need. It's fun to use and absolutely a great value for the price, but I have to say that I prefer working in Final Cut Express (and Pro, of course, but it's not fair to compare Elements to the Pro version of Final Cut). Maybe I just haven't found all of Premiere Elements' tools yet. (I would be elated–seriously–if they were there and I didn't know about them yet!) I'd like to be able to fine-tune garbage matte so it has softened edges and the edges can be adjusted and smoothed to my liking. I'd like more control over the various mattes (there's a filter in Final Cut called "soften edges" that I use a lot). Also, is there a "composite mode" in Premiere Elements? I use that all the time when blending one video layer over another. I'd love to be able to lock video and audio tracks. These are just a few things I miss in Premiere Elements, that I've come to depend on in Final Cut Express (and Pro).

Whether you want to switch to a Mac is up to you. It sounds like your choices right now are Premiere Pro CS3 or Final Cut (Express or Studio). Either would be fine, I am sure. I don't think you'll find the transition to the Mac OS difficult (I didn't–I'm a "switcher"). Just give yourself time to get used to it. (Again, a manual is always good.) I don't think switching is all that big of a deal, really. I go back and forth between Mac and PC with few problems.

One thing is certain–you won't really up anything either if you go with the Mac, since you can still use Windows in BootCamp. Since you're already interested in the Mac, it sounds like you are a good candidate for the switch and you'll probably be happy with your purchase.

I've been very satisfied with my switch to the Mac platform, and the cost is very much worth it to me. I get access to all programs for both platforms. There are some really nice Mac-only apps that I prefer and so far have found no favorable equivalent on the Windows side. So having all these programs available to me is a plus. I call it having the "best of both worlds" and it is true. I would never be happy going back to Windows-only, and I'm not interested in being Mac-only either, even though it's clear that many people can function quite nicely using only one platform.

P.S. Oh, the support for Final Cut (and for Mac OS X) is great. Apple has some good support forums for Final Cut, and Final Cut authors (like Tom Wolsky) are there all the time, giving tips and advice. (He's helped me more than once!) Mac OS also has many supportive forums and communities. That's one of the things I really enjoyed about the switch–so many enthusiastic online friends want to help and are so encouraging.

I wouldn't worry at all about support for Final Cut and the Mac if you make the switch. There are many instructional books, tutorial DVDs, forums, communities . . . you name it. It's really fantastic!
Elvira
New User
New User

Postby Sara J. » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:15 pm

Thank you all for your help. I have finally parted with my money. I decided to go with the Dell XPS 420 with 3 Gb of ram andd 320 gb of for the harddrive, but I ordered antoher internal harddrive with 750 gb to add to it. It comes with PE elements bundle, but I also ordered the Production Suite. All of that said I am very excited to get it up and running. But to tell you the truth I got a chance to browse around on a Mac and leapord and I truely like that operating system much better and I do like the Mac - I see where people who have them love them. All that said - as Chuck I believe said - more bang for the buck in the PC. To get anywhere close to what I wanted in the Mac I would spend $4500 or more and I got what I need for under $2000 on the PC.

Thanks everyone. I also learned more about computers and ram, operating systems, hardrives, processors and more.

I still don't know much about the graphic and video cards. I believe I have the Q6700. Whatever that means I hope its good, if not I know you'll let me know.

-Sara
Sara J.

Next

Return to MAC