They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Premiere 11 and mac

For our MAC users, questions about the various Video Editing software products.

Premiere 11 and mac

Postby Kerrie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi Muvipix family! I am back! And with a lot of questions as usual....

I have finally upgraded from premiere 4 to 11. I also am now using my Mac computer-it is a 17 inch smart mac pro OS X 10-8-2, processor 2.2 GHz, intel core i7, memory 4gb 1333 MHz DDR3

I am working on my first video with PRE 11. I have all my files I want to use loaded in the program. I have my pictures in and have had no problem adding pan and zoom. The problem I am having is my video. it is from an SD card from my Canon vixia HF 820. They loaded into the mac without a problem and have the .mov extension (on my pc they have the. mts file extension). The problem I am having is in the timeline when it comes to the video it will not play smoothly-the video freezes, but the sound continues. When I hit stop, the program takes awhile to "think" and then will catch up. I don't remember having the premiere program lag behind like this. It really is frustrating to edit this video with this issue.

Any thoughts what is causing this and how to correct? As always, I appreciate the help from everyone!

Thanks!

P.S. the muvipix videos and Steve's book have been very helpful with learning the new program-Thank you!!!
Kerrie

Dell Vostro Laptop; 2.2 GHz, core 2 duo, 2 gig ram, 2x160 gig 7200 rpm HDs
Kerrie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Premiere 11 and mac

Postby Kerrie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:57 pm

OK, OK, I think I answered my own question. It seems that premiere on Mac does not like .mov extension. When I loaded the video right into the program with the SD card and the .mts extension it works a lot better.....

But now, I wonder how I can save these .mts extension to my mac computer and not have them converted to .mov?
Kerrie

Kerrie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:25 pm

Well, that may be the problem, Kerrie. The files are exactly the same, whether they have a .mov or .mts extension -- but the program gets confused when they're not .mts files.

Did you use Premiere Elements' Video Importer to get the files from that camcorder to your computer? If so, they should come is as .mts files and should work perfectly. (Assuming your first clip on your timeline is an .mts file so that the program can use it to set up the project to those specs.)

You should certainly have enough power to work with AVCHD video on that Mac, if your project is set up correctly. (Do you see yellow lines on the timeline above the clips in Expert mode?)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerry » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:58 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Well, that may be the problem, Kerrie. The files are exactly the same, whether they have a .mov or .mts extension -- but the program gets confused when they're not .mts files.

Not wanting to hijack here, but a quick question: is this a Mac-only thing or generally true? My DSLR shoots .mov files, so should I be renaming them to .mts on a Win7 system?
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Time is money, life is change.
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:36 am

No, Gerry. Don't rename files. Just use the Premiere Elements Video Importer to get the files from the camcorder to your project and they should work as is.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Kerrie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 am

Hi Steve,

When I put my clips in-either the .mov or .mts extension there is not a yellow line above the video (I assume you are talking about the render bar). My pictures do. I did not get the yellow line with the HD background I used from muvipix either.

I have a question regarding organizing my pix and videos on the mac. I imported my pix and videos from the SD card-they went automatically into iPhoto. Does the mac automatically change the extension of the video clips to .mov? I am trying to organize all pix and video in the mac. How do I keep the .mts extensions when saving videos to the mac-do I need to go through premiere?

I hope this makes sense! Thanks!
Kerrie

Kerrie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:35 am

If you use the Premiere Elements Video Importer to get your video from your camcorder over a USB connection and you use the Photo Downloader to get your photos, the files should remain fully compatible with the program.

Are you using Premiere Elements to get the photos and video from your camcorder?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerry » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:41 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:No, Gerry. Don't rename files. Just use the Premiere Elements Video Importer to get the files from the camcorder to your project and they should work as is.

Thanks!
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Time is money, life is change.
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Kerrie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:21 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Are you using Premiere Elements to get the photos and video from your camcorder?

Well, initially Steve- a couple weeks ago I imported some pix and videos through a card reader into iPhoto. This weekend I started a video on 11 with the Mac. I imported the folder into premiere using file/folders ( I moved an album to the desktop). I started having trouble with the.mov videos. Read a little more of your book and again attached the card reader and SD card to the computer and this time imported the videos right into premiere using video from flip and camera and these videos came in with the .mts extension and now work great in the timeline for editing.

Is there a way to organize my videos in the mac and not have the original file (extension) changed? I am confused why Mac does this.

Also Steve to your earlier question:
Steve Grisetti wrote:(Do you see yellow lines on the timeline above the clips in Expert mode?)
No, not with the .mov or .mts extension. Also, I didn't have it with the HD background I used from muvipix. The yellow line-that is the render line, isn't it?

As always thank you for your help and patience!
Kerrie

Kerrie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:06 pm

Apparently Premiere Elements depends on those .mts file extensions to identify the file.

iMovie apparently does not. So I'd recommend using Premiere Elements for gathering my files if you plan to edit in Premiere Elements.

As for the .mov files -- I'm not of a solution other than to change those extensions back to .mts. Sorry.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to MAC