They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Software / Blu-ray Burner

For our MAC users, questions about the various Video Editing software products.

Software / Blu-ray Burner

Postby 6142john » Fri May 25, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi,

Looking for suggestions on the preferred editing software and a external Blu-ray burner for my IMAC, I'm currently using the Final Cut Pro X trial version.
My camera is a Sony HDR-XR500V Handycam AVCHD.

My 27" IMAC
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
20GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
256GB Solid State Drive / 1TB Serial ATA Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4

My PC
Windows 7 64 bit 8 GB Ram
Intel Core Q6700 2.66GHz 2 Quad CPU
ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series

Thank you

John
27" IMAC / 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
20GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5
6142john
New User
New User

Re: Software / Blu-ray Burner

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 25, 2012 2:47 pm

Any Mac-compatible BluRay burner will do, as far as externally connected equipment goes. In fact, pretty much any plug-and-play USB-connected device should work.

As for software, you've got enough power on that rig to edit with pretty much anything you'd like!

Final Cut is excellent software, of course. In fact, it's the industry standard. The "X" version isn't quite the workhouse the Pro version was, but it should more than meet most needs. In fact, its revolutionary re-design is supposed to meet the needs of both pros and consumers! I'd love to hear more about your experience with it and what you think. It's an entirely new concept in Mac video editing.

Premiere CS5 or CS6 will also run very well on that machine, and there are a number of advantages to it over Final Cut Pro.

I guess first we should be asking how much you want to spend, and how high-end are your editing needs? You get the same quality output whether you use a consumer program or a pro program, and all work well with AVCHD video. It all depends on how much you're willing to spend and how professional you like your work environment.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby 6142john » Sat May 26, 2012 2:53 am

Thank you for your reply,

I noticed with Final Cut Pro I can only import one camera file at a time and upload or export one project at a time. The majority of my projects are racing events using my AVCHD camera along with 2 GoPro camera's and then uploading them to YouTube. I'm practicing now ways of blending in two GoPro camera files into a projects. What are some of the advantages with CS6 over FCP?

Thanks
John
20GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
6142john
New User
New User

Postby Briantho » Sat May 26, 2012 5:23 am

One great reason is that Adobe products are multi-platform so you can switch between Macs and PCs to your heart's content. I also think that Premiere Pro (at least) is WAY ahead of both FCP and, of course FCE. I loved both of the Apple products to start off with and then FCPX came along and I wasn't ready to try something completely different. I'm so glad I made the switch to the Adobe product.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat May 26, 2012 9:27 am

I'm surprised to hear FCP X can only work with one video format at a time, John. Everything I've seen implies that it will work with whatever you throw at it -- even mixing several formats in the same project!

It really does look like an amazing leap forward in video editing, so be sure to give it a good test drive and report back with your results.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby 6142john » Sat May 26, 2012 11:44 am

FCP does allow you to work with multi-able format files. However, while importing from your camera or exporting to Youtube, your done till it's done, I thought Apple would have figured out a way so you can work on projects while importing, exporting, or sharing to Youtube, like they do with rendering.
Even with this machine my import time on one 30 min GoPro mp4 file is about 20-25 mins and AVCHD files are about half the time for some reason. My first hour is loading and I can't work on nothing else. I do like the automatic rendering in the background with zero delay while working on any project in full resolution. I will give Adobe CS6 for a spin after this trial.

John
20GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
6142john
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat May 26, 2012 5:04 pm

Sorry to hear of your challenges with FCP X, John. I really had high hopes for it.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to MAC