They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Folder Locations for 2 Drive Configuration

For our MAC users, questions about the various Video Editing software products.

Folder Locations for 2 Drive Configuration

Postby zenhog » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:00 am

I'm setting up an iMac that has two drives - a 2TB internal and a 2TB external (firewire 800).

I am assuming that the Mac version has the same folder control that the PC version had.

In addition to creating a new folder for each project, for optimal performance are there any practices you recommend, and where do you recommend I locate the folders that are mentioned in the Preferences? ( the OS and the application will be on the internal drive )

For example I'm thinking about using the external as my archive for all my captured video and completed projects, and when I create a project folder I will move any audio files I'm using and the captured video I need from the external into the project folder. I can also use the external for Disc Encoding if having that on a slower connection (slower than the internal drive) makes sense to reduce drive contention.

So in short, on my two drive config what do you recommend for the file locations that can be specified in Preferences:
Media Cache Database
Captured Video
Captured Audio
Video Previews
Audio Previews
Media Cache
Disk Encoding

Thanks!
zenhog
New User
New User

Re: Folder Locations for 2 Drive Configuration

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:54 am

If you just open a new folder on your external drive for each new project and leave the program's preferences as is, all of the project's cache, preview and encoding files will automatically be saved to sub-folders within your project folder.

Then, when you capture new video or gather other media for your project, just send it all to the same folder.

No need to make it any more complicated than that. It works great this way.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to MAC