They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Windows Version on MAC?

For our MAC users, questions about the various Video Editing software products.

Windows Version on MAC?

Postby zenhog » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:48 am

You mentioned that you run on a Mac. Do you run the Windows version or the Mac version? I'm tempted to run the Windows version just for the added functionality but if there are large performance differences then I need to take that into consideration. Are there that you know of?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Reference: viewtopic.php?f=99&t=10574
zenhog
New User
New User

Re: Windows Version on MAC?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:43 am

I run the Mac version of the Mac, of course! I don't know that you can do otherwise, zen.

I also run a Windows version on XP and a 64-bit version on Windows 7 64-bit so that I can test performance and provide support on all platforms.

Version 10 works just great on all platforms -- but I continually find myself drawn back to the Mac version because I like working in the Mac environment.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:57 pm

If you are running something like Bootcamp can you load the Windows version?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:23 pm

Absolutely. And I do. But then you're in a pure Windows environment. (Windows 7, in my case.) There is nothing Mac about it.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby zenhog » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:39 am

Steve, glad to hear you don't mind running the Mac version with the missing transitions and such. I looked over your list in your book (and in your post, thanks for putting that up) and think the only thing I might miss is the denoiser.

Just got my iMac today - in fact I'm posting from it now. Awesome is all I can say. I must have something missing though in Safari because there are areas on your windows that come up blank saying "missing plugin". I wonder what it is.

Anyway, now the adventure begins with getting up and running on this platform. I've got a couple of questions but I'll post them separately in case someone else can benefit from your answers - they won't be buried down here.
zenhog
New User
New User

Postby Ron » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:16 am

zenhog wrote:I must have something missing though in Safari because there are areas on your windows that come up blank saying "missing plugin". I wonder what it is.

You're probably just missing the Flash plug-in. Should install in seconds once executed.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:56 am

Yeah, Apple has been trying to undermine Adobe Flash for some time now. As Ron says, these things should install as needed.

But, if not, use Firefox or Chrome. Despite Apple's hype, there are no real advantages to using Safari. Firefox is just as fast and has many more cool add-ons. And Chrome, by most benchmark accounts, is a little faster.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Briantho » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:25 am

Sometimes it's not so obvious: in Safari this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/34 ... 0&tstart=0 could be of interest plus maybe this which appeared in my inbox only minutes ago: http://www.macworld.com/article/164985/ ... ac_h_crawl

A few days ago I got a "missing plug-in" message when I was trying to view some videos on the Apple site. By following the instructions in the first one I turned OFF the Divx plug-in and then all was OK
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to MAC