They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Licensing Music?

When music makes the video, discuss and recommend soundtracks for specific themes/subjects.

Licensing Music?

Postby csgaraglino » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:30 am

So I have some music that I want to use in a video that I am producing and I have permission from the band to use one of their songs in the clip.
I want to make sure that I have the documentation written properly.
I have written many, many licensing agreements for my own photography, would the agreement for the music be the same kind of license?
Warm regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios On Web || On Flickr || On Vimeo
csgaraglino

Re: Licensing Music?

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:46 am

Yes, it is basically the same. Sometimes the license will limit the number of copies that the music can be used in.
Our Muvipix Music has a 5000 copy limit in the terms of use. Some artists may limit the length of a song that can be used, say 30 seconds, or that you can't use the chorus. Music gets pretty technical but then I suppose a photograph could have similar restrictions.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby csgaraglino » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:01 pm

Thanks for your response.
Here is what I wrote (as a request from them):

Subject to the terms and conditions below, Spring Creek Bluegrass Band the licensor ("Licensor") of the work ("Work") referenced below hereby grants to Outdoor Studios Photography defined herein ("Licensee") a Non-Exclusive license to use all the music of the Work in the “Across the Country with Moses Woodson” (“ACMW”) video production. This license shall be valid in the following geographic region(s) only: The United States. This license shall be valid for 5 years from the creation date and shall cover publication of the Work in the following media only: Video Production, Advertising All Online Publications, Corporate In House Promotion, Internet Company/Corporate Website, Public Relations Use. The number of reproductions of the Work authorized by this license is unlimited. The only credit line to be associated with the Work is " Spring Creek Bluegrass Band — http://www.SpringCreekBluegrassBand.com". Any other use of the Work by the Licensee shall require a separately negotiated license.

Work:
Lonesome Way To Go - Big Al’s Blues, Fiddler’s Banjo, That Dog’ll Hunt
Way Up On a Mountain — Cuba Vera Swing, Under the Gun

Now we'll see how much they want for such an agreement!
Warm regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
csgaraglino

Postby momoffduty » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:25 pm

Chris what type of license do you have for your photography? I made a video using my brother's photos for a commercial video and wrote something up for him to sign in case I was asked if I had the rights.

Does this look like it covers things?

Authorization to use Photos

I, xxxxxxxxxx, hereby grant to xxxxxxxxx the right to use my photos for any purpose. This includes the use of my photos in her Video Productions and to use and authorize others to use the photos that are incorporated in her Productions in the distribution, sale, licensing, marketing, advertising, promotion, merchandising, exhibition and other exploitation of the Production in perpetuity, worldwide in any media.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby csgaraglino » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:49 pm

Cheryl,

I use a piece of software called BlinkBid (http://www.blinkbid.com) and it works great!
Creating license agreements just takes a few simple steps and answering of a few simple questions.
Warm regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
csgaraglino

Postby momoffduty » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:01 pm

Thanks Chris. The price is 229 and not ready to spend any $, but will keep that in mind.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby csgaraglino » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:30 pm

Yes, licensing software can be a bit pricey, but a single contract can run you $150 bucks and lets nit talk about lawyers!

With companies like Toyota stealing images off of Flickr, we all have to make sure that we are careful in what we agree to. I am not a lawyer, so I have two options; go to school to be one, or buy/hire one. With software like BlinkBib and FotoBiz we kind of get the best of both worlds. For the price of one visit to a lawyer, I have thousands of options available to me and I can customize my agreement to meet me clients needs. BlinkBid will even invoice and track my licenses for me!

What I did was bundle the price of the software into one project and it was done.

However, not wanting you to feel like this was a sales pitch, I am going to attempt to attach an "Unlimited Copyright License Agreement" to this post. This is a free download form PPA (Professional Photographers of America) at http://www.PPA.com. If you are not a member, I encourage you to join. There are a great number of free resources there, that I have found to be very helpful int he past.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Warm regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
csgaraglino

Postby tiny » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:58 pm

For what it's worth, I got permission to use a song for my video "essichel" - They gave me a list of terms and had me put the following as part of the video information:

"So Long Lonesome"

Written by Mark T. Smith, Michael James, Chris Hrasky, and Munaf Rayani

Performed by Explosions in the Sky

From the album All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone (P) 2007 Temporary Residence, Ltd.

I don't know how this compares, but it seems like it is the company which would want to be protecting their assets, and as such would provide you with something similar to put in your credits or where applicable.
I wish I were creative enough to write something witty here.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Alyse Pendo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:07 pm

Hello - Thank you Chris for your Blinkbid reference.

Cheryl, we offer a two week, fully-functional trial period. You can download and use Blinkbid for free if you have something that you are working on, and then you don't have to purchase it.

Disclaimer - yes, I do work for Blinkbid.
Sincerely, Alyse Pendo
Alyse Pendo
New User
New User

Postby momoffduty » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:52 pm

Thanks Alyse!
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to Music ~~ & Video