They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Music for memorial and reminiscing videos

When music makes the video, discuss and recommend soundtracks for specific themes/subjects.

Postby Jayell » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:01 am

Maxine370 wrote:Anyone want to start another video type?

I'm doing three videos (mainly stills) .. life story type of thing. I guess looking for music from that period is a good idea.

.. one is a memorial on my brother's life (from 1949 to 1973) .. for Mom and I to honor his short life.

.. one on my Dad's life (born 1925 .. currently losing him to Alzheimers) to help us and friends remember all the good things.

.. and one on my husband (born 1931, still living) mainly just to retain photo history for his kids and grandkids.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ridon127 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:00 am

Some songs I used in my first one were:

What a WOnderful World by Louis Armstrong
Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Judy Garland
The Dance by Garth Brooks
Young at Heart by Jimmy Durante
When You Wish Upon on a Star.

I don't know if this helps but my husbands family loved the one I did for them.
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Maxine370 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:49 am

I opened this topic in its own discussion.

A great song for this is Secret O life - There is a James Taylor version but I love the Nancy Lamott version.

We live on borrowed time - nancy Lamott but also Barry Manilow
This Ones for You -BArry Manilow
Our Town - James Taylor
I Will Remember You - Sarah Mclachlan
Only Time - Enya
Dance with My Father - Luther Vandross
I will always Love - Whitney Houston
So Far Away - Carole King

As I think of more I'll add them
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:40 am

If your dad was a World War II veteran, you can't forget two touching songs that truly defined that era.

"We'll Meet Again" (Don't know where, don't know when)
and
"(There'll Be Bluebirds Over) The White Cliffs of Dover"

Though I was born several years after the war, I almost cry whenever I hear either.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:05 am

A great song that I have not used yet, but definitely will some day. Even if I have to create a video just for the song I am going to use it somehow;

Grandpa, Tell Me 'Bout The Good Old Days - The Judds

Lyrics
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:32 am

Beth - thanks for the new category. I agree, this category has it's own meaning and perspective for songs.

Steve - yes, Dad was a WWII vet. I'm going through some big band stuff .. and even found a CD in their collection of WWII songs.

Chuck and Donna - thanks for additional ideas. I'll have to look through all of these. Some I'm familiar with - some I'm not.

I guess part of the challenge of doing a video for parents and grandparents is trying to find some of these songs. The one for my brother should be easy - he was a rock-and-roll fan. At least I'm familiar with all those :)

Something I keep tripping on as I'm just gathering, sorting, and planning .. is WHO the video is for. The one for Dad and brother I'm starting out saying that this video is their life as seen through the eyes of their daughter .. or sister. I know others might see if differently. So do I pick songs that remind ME of them or my relationship with them .. or that are more fitting to the time they lived? Interesting challenge.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:11 pm

Rhapsody has a ton of music and you can record it onto your computer with Audacity (free) :)

I got a whole bunch of music from the 40's and 50's from there. Of course you can always purchase the music for around .99 cents too :cool:

I did purchase an unlimited membership for $15 per month.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:19 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Rhapsody has a ton of music and you can record it onto your computer with Audacity (free) :)

You can record it free, assuming you have a card that allows 'stereo mix' .. or 'what you hear' options (meaning you can record sounds coming out of your computer .. right?) I don't .. which I think is bizarre! I would never have gotten this sound card if I'd known .. and unfortunately I'm not comfortable messing around with the components inside my computer.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:27 pm

There is probably a way to make it happen, might only need to update the audio driver. There has probably been someone else with the same problem in the past, have you checked the internet for an answer? What type of audio do you have?

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:06 pm

I checked the Internet when this discussion came up several months ago, Chuck (perhaps on the Adobe forum). Couldn't find anything at that time. All I can find is that it's a SigmaTel High Definition (Dell XPS 410). I'll do some more looking. I'd be in heaven if I could resolve this!
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:19 pm

Here is an interesting article
http://www.windowswatch.co.uk/2007/04/r ... audio.html

Unfortunately it says at the very bottom that the Sigma Tel audio doesn't work. Don't know if you will be able to get it working with the current audio. I can't imagine why Dell would put sub-standard audio in one of the XPS models.

It isn't hard, or expensive, to put in a new audio card and disable the existing on-board audio.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:01 pm

Funny, I just finished reading that, Chuck :-D. Unfortunately I don't have Vista .. and that doesn't seem to work in XP.
I've found another couple forums that suggest a different Sigmatel driver. I found that previously but was afraid to try it. This is so frustrating I think I'm going to take the chance.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Maxine370 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:13 pm

More songs... I feel like my song ideas may not be decade appropriate but the lyrics and melodies may be appropriate.. . but I'll suggest all the same.

Goodbye Yesterday Hello Today - Jimmy Cliff
Where doe the time go - Moe.
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ridon127 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:56 pm

Could we do something here that we would be able to download music for personal use? I get tired of surfing for the appropriate music and lyrics. Then pay to download because the 10 sec. clip I heard was good but only to find out that was the best part of the song. Or after you download it, it doesn't fit with your presentation. We could upload songs here and if isn't used within so many days, delete if from the site. IF someone wanted a specific song, a member could upload for them. It's just a thought.
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby lisa stocker » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:37 pm

beth

one of the songs that you used for your day at the park with the kids, for the video contest, was very nice.

I thought it would be nice to use for a memorial for my grandmother

would you mind very much giving me the names of those songs

thanks
lisa
lisa stocker

Next

Return to Music ~~ & Video