They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

where do you get music...napster vs itunes

When music makes the video, discuss and recommend soundtracks for specific themes/subjects.

where do you get music...napster vs itunes

Postby videovillageidiot » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:40 pm

can someone explain napster and itunes? this is all i know...they are music sites...yup, that's what i know... :-8

here are some questions...
Can i just listen to music or can i "keep" songs by downloading/purchasing them? and, if i want to purchase songs can i do that thru either site?
If i purchase music, can i only listen to it on my computer or can i burn it to a cd or, better yet, use it in premiere elements?
Will the music be in mp3 format?
Do i need to install software on my computer to use napster or itunes? (i have been told i need to install itunes before i can even view what's in the itunes store)
Can i just use a gift card or do i have to set up an account?

any info would be very helpful. thanks!!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: where do you get music...napster vs itunes

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:31 am

I get virtually all of my downloaded music from here:-

http://www.gomusicnow.com/

Once it is downloaded it is yours to keep. You can play it on your PC, write it to CD, copy onto your MP3 player, use it in PrEl....anything!

It is generally in MP3 and you don't need anything special to play it - just Windows Media Player.

You do have to set up an account so that you can pay for the albums/tracks that you download. I have been using the site for over two years now without a problem.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:31 am

Hey, where have you been since the big Minneapolis Meetup?

I really like Rhapsody.com
They have one of the best collection of oldies that I have seen.

There is also Amazon.com and Walmart among other places.
They all sell most music for .99 each song.

Most of the music comes in MP3 format with digital rights management.
That means you can't just use the MP3 file anywhere.

You can usually bypass that issue by burning the files to a CD and then rip them back to your computer.
Are you up for some burning and ripping? 8-[
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:40 am

I'm a big fan of Amazon.com because there is very little intrusive digital rights management. That means that you can use or share or burn the music to a disc with no problems whatsoever. You can even use it directly in a Premiere Elements project.

This is not so with iTunes, which is bottled up with so much rights management software that, if you try to use it in a Premiere Elements project, you'll get an error code. That's when you have to use Chuck's method of burning it to a CD and then ripping the file back to your computer.

Too much effort for my tastes. That's why I always go to Amazon.com's MP3s first. You just buy 'em and use 'em any way you want as is.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tjodork » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:11 am

John,
is the http://www.gomusicnow.com/ legit ? It is way cheaper than itunes,etc. Is the sound quality worse ? thx
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:04 pm

That's what I was wondering. The prices are pretty amazing!
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:45 am

Well, let me put it this way.

The sound quality of the MP3s is at least 128Kbps, more often 192Kpbs or 256Kbps. The catalogue is huge with an amazing range of music, covering almost all tastes I would imagine. Only rarely have I had to go to another source for a particular track.

Because I have heard no reports or caveats about the legitimacy or otherwise of the site, I continue to use it in good faith, paying for what I get.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby videovillageidiot » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:39 am

John - can you answer a question about gomusicnow? i went to the site and was trying to see what types of payment were accepted. the link in their faq section sends me to a page that asks for an email address. since i haven't registered yet i can't go any further. can you tell me if they accept paypal as a payment method?

also, it appears that this site does not use download software that i would need to load on my machine. is this correct? (a bonus in my book, since i don't want software loaded from every place i purchase music)

thanks!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:17 am

videovillageidiot wrote:John - can you answer a question about gomusicnow? i went to the site and was trying to see what types of payment were accepted. the link in their faq section sends me to a page that asks for an email address. since i haven't registered yet i can't go any further. can you tell me if they accept paypal as a payment method?

You need to register before you can make a payment. I have a Hotmail e-mail address that I use for sites like this so that I don't run the risk of having my personal mailbax spammed. I don't know if PayPal is accepted as I no longer use PayPal for anything - too many bad experiences! I have a special credit card with a very low credit limit (to minimise risk of fraud) that I use only for internet payments

also, it appears that this site does not use download software that i would need to load on my machine. is this correct? (a bonus in my book, since i don't want software loaded from every place i purchase music)

No special software needed from them. I use ReGet (about US$10, link below) as my file download manager then Windows Media Player to play on my PC, or to burn to CD/copy to an MP3 player.

http://www.reget.com/en/
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby videovillageidiot » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:59 pm

i'm still trying to work thru this...
i'm looking to download music - not stream or create playlists. i'm looking for something that does not require a download manager. i want to pay by paypal.
i have looked at Napster, itunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, walmart and gomusicnow. i'm so confused and can't even remember what each site offers/requires. i'd be really depressed 'cuz i've spent most of the weekend on this but right now i'm watching brett favre kick chicago's behind so i'm ok...but i digress...

can anyone who has used any of these help...i have come to realize that clear help text is severly lacking on most of these sites...on gomusicnow i can't determine whether they accept paypal without registering first...i don't WANT to register just to find out their terms. ridiculous. on rhapsody i've looked at all kinds of help text and don't see anything about payment options. i should have been taking notes 'cuz i forget what i read where. oooops, we're down to the 4 yard line at the start of the 4th quarter. gotta' go!! \:D/

seriously, if anyone can give me the "in a nutshell" version on any of these, my old brain would appreciate it.

thanks!!!

hey wait a minute...we only got a field goal outa' that?!?!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:02 pm

Well Brett Favre and the Vikings had another great game, 10 and 1 now :)
Chicago has some real problems this year, the offensive line is terrible for one thing.

Anyway, I don't know which one of the music download sites takes PayPal.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:11 am

videovillageidiot wrote:seriously, if anyone can give me the "in a nutshell" version on any of these, my old brain would appreciate it.

Amazon.com offers a big selection (but not as huge as iTunes) of MP3s that are usually 99 cents each and that you can play a selection of before buying.

AND you can choose to download the song to iTunes (a free program at Apple.com) on your computer which is the program that Chuck, I and many others use to manage our music. Yes, that's right, you can use iTunes to manage all your music, regardless of where acquired.

As Steve said, there are minimal restrictions on downloads from Amazon.com, so that should be your first choice.

The charges are made to your credit card.

:meet:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:02 am

videovillageidiot wrote:..... i'm looking for something that does not require a download manager......

The only reason that I use a download manager is because some of the files I download are huge. Having a download manager means when I get a download failure I don't have to restart the download afresh, from the beginning. You don't need a download manager for downloading MP3s.

Regarding PayPal. I have had many bad experiences with PayPal so I refuse to use it. Have a look here at some of the problems folk have had. (Be warned, some of the comments use 'colourful' (read 'R' rated) terms to describe their bad experiences).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&v=TbmJwpvlTIM

http://www.aboutpaypal.org/
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:38 pm

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Regarding PayPal. I have had many bad experiences with PayPal so I refuse to use it. Have a look here at some of the problems folk have had. (Be warned, some of the comments use 'colourful' (read 'R' rated) terms to describe their bad experiences).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&v=TbmJwpvlTIM

http://www.aboutpaypal.org/

John, it seems all the bad comments are from sellers, not buyers. Is that your experience?

In fact, I do remember that, after I had "won" an item on ebay, the seller decided not to ship, her reason being, "With PayPal I'm not sure I'll ever get paid."
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:15 pm

I've used PayPal since its inception and haven't had a single problem and I use it at least once a week or so.

You can find good and bad in everything. I will say that the person who runs that site IS a bit disgruntled to say the least.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Music ~~ & Video