They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Music for thrilling/danger situation

When music makes the video, discuss and recommend soundtracks for specific themes/subjects.

Re: Music for thrilling/danger situation

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:38 pm

Very good Ryan, glad you got this worked out :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:42 pm

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your encouragement. I am very happy to be able to purchase the track individually witout having to buy the whole disc. Furthermore, I can use them in Vegas. This is good !! :blob4:

Hi Steve,

Thanks, I managed to purchase the tracks individually :-5

But I am not able to locate this tracks for purchase (even though I select all the options to display ALL):

(1)
Cinematic
Album Name: Heroic Overtures
From Series: Strata Series
Track Name: Combined Force

(2)
Documentary
Album Name: Lasting Memories
From Series: Strata Series
Track Name: Together Again

Can everyone locate them ? Or is it just me ?

One more thing when I clicked purchase, sometimes I have 2 options to purchase Home Quality 22K at $6.95 or Pro Quality 44K at $14.95. SInce the price is more than double I purchase the Home Quality. But, is the Pro Quality very significantly higher is quality compared to Home Quality ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:34 pm

ryan_khoo wrote:One more thing when I clicked purchase, sometimes I have 2 options to purchase Home Quality 22K at $6.95 or Pro Quality 44K at $14.95. SInce the price is more than double I purchase the Home Quality. But, is the Pro Quality very significantly higher is quality compared to Home Quality ?
Thanks

I don't think you will notice a very big difference Ryan, the Home Quality should be just fine :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:31 pm

Ryan,

For the 22KHz vs 44KHz, I doubt that you'll hear a difference, unless you are doing a bunch of re-work of the Audio, or listening on an audiophile system. I have an old full library of their 22KHz material and use it all of the time. No one has ever commented on the quality of the Audio. Also, with a quick Conform and PEK file generation, Premiere will Import these as 48KHz. It takes but a moment and the quality has always been good.

I noticed that the two cuts that you are looking for are both on Strata Series discs. I wonder if SmartSound doesn't offer those cuts as individuals. I happen to have those two discs, so I can't get to the "Buy" window in a normal fashion. Since my library for my laptop is on an external HDD, I unplugged it and chose "All," to get their entire library. I also could not find these two.

The Strata Series offer 44.1KHz and 48KHz versions on the discs. They are also "layered" to allow special tweaking in SonicFire Pro. I'll fire it up, without the external, just to see if one can "Buy" these two cuts through it. Will report back, but now think that maybe the Strata material is just not available. As mentioned elsewhere, I have not bought individual cuts, so I am experimenting myself. The individual cuts that I have downloaded have been "premiums" and I do not even recall what might have, or have not, been offered at that time.

Off to fire up SonicFire Pro and test.

Last, you might drop SmartSound an e-mail and just ask them. They are good, friendly and very quick with the responses. One of the best customer/technical support groups, with which I have ever dealt.

Later,
Hunt

[Edit] Interesting. Looking at the SmartSound Store from SonicFire Pro 5, "Together Again" was not available, while the other, "Combined Force," was. There goes the Strata Series theory.
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:06 am

Thanks Chuck & Bill for your help.

I have sent email to SmartSound. Hopefully they will sell me "Combined Force" and "Together Again" as individual tracks.

Hope keep you guys posted if I receive a response from them

Cheers
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:57 pm

Bill Hunt wrote:Last, you might drop SmartSound an e-mail and just ask them. They are good, friendly and very quick with the responses. One of the best customer/technical support groups, with which I have ever dealt.

Hi Hunt,

Here is the update. I have just received this reply from SmartSound

"Hello,

Single Soundtrack downloads from the Strata Series albums can not be purchased from within the Quicktracks for Premiere application. Those can be purchased from within Sonicfire Pro http://www.smartsound.com/sonicfire/

Best regards,
XXXXXX"

So, what does it mean ? Can I or can I not purchase the track individually ?

How to go to Sonicfire Pro ? I must purchase Sonicfire Pro ?

Sorry for being a noob.

Thanks

Cheers
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:54 am

Sounds like you cant buy individual tracks from within the Premiere SmartSound plugin. Well you get SonicFire 5 Pro Express free when you purchase a smartsound disc. http://www.smartsound.com/sonicfire/expresstrack.html
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:28 am

That doesn't sound right. The option to purchase many tracks is right in Quicktracks.

Is it possible that the track Ryan is looking for, though, is only available on a disc, and not as an individual track purchase?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:42 am

Paul LS wrote:Sounds like you cant buy individual tracks from within the Premiere SmartSound plugin. Well you get SonicFire 5 Pro Express free when you purchase a smartsound disc. http://www.smartsound.com/sonicfire/expresstrack.html

Yes you are right, I cannot buy that particular 2 tracks via Quicktracks. That particular 2 tracks must be purchased using SonicFire Pro 5 meaning I must first buy a disc.

Maybe I just wait, who knows one day they will put that 2 tracks on Quicktrack.
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:45 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:That doesn't sound right. The option to purchase many tracks is right in Quicktracks.
But that particular 2 tracks are not available via Pemiere

Is it possible that the track Ryan is looking for, though, is only available on a disc, and not as an individual track purchase?
Maybe.

But they could have easily put that track in Quicktrack if they want to. No ?
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:02 am

Ryan,

Thanks for that update. As I have both programs, QT's for Premiere and SonicFire Pro 5, that might have confrused things a bit.

I do find it odd that one of the Strata Series cuts was listed as available from QT's, as a single, but the other was not. It WAS available from SFP5 though, as a single. Even though I disconnected my external HDD, so MY library of SmartSound music was unavailable to my system, having these particular cuts already in my library's database may also have confused things a bit.

Just a few months ago, SmartSound was offering SFP4 free, with the purchase of any of the Strata Series discs. I picked up a second license then for my laptop. Since SFP5 has been released, I have not noticed that offer, but maybe Paul can point us to it. I did get a notice that since I had gotten one free SFP4 license already, I would not get any more, when I ordered more Strata Series discs, which I did, as they had a sale on several that I wanted. I completely understand that. This offer (when I know it was current) also allowed free upgrade to SFP5 upon release, and it worked on both of my licenses.

While I like the SmartSound site, there are a few dead-ends, that one has to use Back to get out of. Also, some links are not as well highlighted, as I'd like. Sometimes, there are sales that I get e-mails for, but can only seem to access that pricing from the link in the e-mails, not from the main site. Possibly by design. First thing that I would do would be to make sure and register QT's for Premiere. First, you might get a premium with that registration. Next, provided that you check the "Receive E-mails," or similar, you will definitely get notification of all sales. These are usually at least half-off, and sometimes even better, if they do a "bundle." If you do get a premium for your subscription, you can use that to buy a single track for download. I'd also register for their BackStage section, as it too had a premium for registration. The music there is definitely pro stuff and is quite expensive. They have few sales on it, but when they do, I usually buy all that I can.

One last comment: I just got my most recent order, an on-sale Strata disc, and in their printed catalog, there were the old bundles of 22KHz music, like I bought many years ago. I had not seen these on the site, but maybe they are elsewhere. For non-commercial, i.e. not feature and TV work, these offer a lot of SmartSound material at a really good price. I checked over these, but did not see the theme that you are seeking. However, there is a lot of very useful music in these. I'll poke around the site, and see if I can find these bundles. If they are in the printed catalog, they *should* be on the site someplace. They just might not have the previews available. I'll also look at my collection of these, to make sure that no "thrilling/danger" cuts are included. If there is anything that I believe might be useful to you, I'll give you the disc name, so maybe you can match it up to one of these bundles. One note on these bundles: they offer fewer variations of each cut. This is one place that the music differs from series to series, besides just the sample rate. On the Backstage series, one usually gets tons of variations and even alternates with many variations, plus these are in the Strata series for multi-layer music, so you get the variations, the alternate plus variations and then the multi-layer for each of these - enough music from one disc to keep you busy for weeks. You can pick a general theme and then have like 100 variations on that theme to work with. In SonicFire Pro, you can have infinite variations, since you can tweak each layer almost infinitely, even soloing a single instrument. Incredible, just incredible !!!

Use these tools for a bit, and you'll soon see why I'm so high on what they can do for scoring.

I did find the 22KHz bundles: http://www.smartsound.com/moviemusic/index.html

Seems that they have added some, since I bought their entire 22KHz library years ago. You might want to poke around these, especially the "Wars & Westerns" and "Epic Thrillers."

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:06 am

Thanks Bill for your detailed reply.

I think I shall wait for the 2 tracks to be offered as individual track because I think I will soon be spending on purchasing the Bluff Titler.

Thanks for recommending me the Bluff Titler. It is so much easier to use than other powerful but complicated software. For a noob and amateur fella like me who does video editing as a family hobby, simplicity is of paramount importance. :lol:

I am now thinking of putting a music something like THX or Dolby Digital use for their introduction. Where will you recommend me to look for this type of music ?

Thanks & Cheers.
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:42 am

Since SFP5 has been released, I have not noticed that offer, but maybe Paul can point us to it.

Hi Bill, if you look at the link I posted above, on the left hand side of the page it says "Get SonicFire Pro 5 free".... note a s I stated this is the Express version.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:53 am

Paul,

Thanks for that clarification. Glad that they are still offering that. Now with the two versions of SFP5, this version is still great. If I did not have the full versions, I'd take them up on the offer in a heartbeat. Even the limited version is excellent, though the full version is mind-blowing, at least to me. Now, if only they could get it to function within Premiere Pro. That would be the treat!!!!

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:32 pm

Ryan,

Since much conversation has taken place via PM, I want to update this topic a bit for those following along, plus add your search for that one SFX.

Ryan has located some of his music choices and seems to be progressing there. He has one request, however, for a special SFX, kind of a THX/DTS "shoosh-rumble." I gave him some sound resouce links, but he's having problems finding what he's looking for from any of my sources.

Let's throw this out to the Muvipix community, and see if any have ideas.

Also, I built a similar SFX, to what I think he wants, from some music loops, and other SFX. It has been assembled and totally re-worked in Audition. Some of the elements used came from various libraries of SFX - some free and some from collections that I own. The "music" was generated via loopology from elements in Audition, and Magix Music Maker and Music Studio. Now the question: since this SFX file contains some elements that are from commercial collections (I own the collections), what are the © and licensing issues, should I provide him with my compiled SFX file?

@Ryan, depending on the studied answers for my above question, tell me a bit about which programs you are using and about your Project's Audio. I did my composition for both DD 5.1 SS (AC3) and DTS for DTS encoding by the SurCode encoder. It features Panning in both L-R and F-R planes (for my uses), hence the AC3 format. If you are only doing stereo, would you like the sound to go R -> L, or L -> R? Or, can you use an AC3 DD 5.1 SS file? This will depend on both your programs and your Project's settings. I can easily re-work my SFX to match whatever you need and provide it to you as a PCM/WAV 16-bit 48KHz file, or as an AC3. Again, your Project's settings may dictate one, or the other. I can also Export at a lower sample rate, but if you're going to DVD, then the 48KHz rate is best - no need to resample from, say 44.1KHz up to the final 48KHz rate.

Last, I suggested that Ryan look in the Muvipix Resources area. It seems that this only contains music and no SFX. If the answer to the question on © is an affirmative on supplying him with the file, is there a limitation against posting it to the Resources Area? It's not really "music," though there are some "musical" elements involved - mostly very low bass.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I want to make sure I am doing all things "by the book," and not creating any problems.

Thanks for your thoughts in these matters,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Music ~~ & Video