They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Trying to capture VHS tapes

When music makes the video, discuss and recommend soundtracks for specific themes/subjects.

Trying to capture VHS tapes

Postby RichXCastel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:11 pm

Trying to capture VHS tapes using a VCR (to play the tapes) which is plugged into a ADVC-55 capture device. Output of
ADVC-55 is a 6 pin Firewire cable connected to an adapter which lets me connect the device to a Thunderbolt port on my MacBook Air.
My MacBook Air doesn't recognize video or audio. Any suggestions?
RichXCastel
New User
New User

Re: Trying to capture VHS tapes

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:13 pm

What do you mean by "connected to an adapter which lets me connect the device to a Thunderbolt port"?

Doesn't your MacBook have a FireWire port? Do you have a PCI Express card?

You will not be able to capture through an adaptor into an USB connection.

Also, what software are you using the capture your media?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:06 pm

Steve, Thunderbolt is not USB. Apple does make Thunderbolt to Firewire adapters which provide a Firewire 800 port. People generally use these to connect a firewire external drive.

Rich, While the adaptor does provide a firewire port, the MacBook still sees it as a Thunderbolt connection and you need a Thunderbolt driver for the attached device. This is a known issue for MiniDV camcorders which capture over firewire. I would expect that the ADVC-55 is in the same predicament. Without a Thunderbolt driver for it, you won't be able to use the ADVC-55 to capture.
Bob

Postby RichXCastel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:17 pm

Steve,

Bob is correct, MacBook's don't have a firewire port, they have 2 USB3 ports and a Thunderbolt port which is 3 times faster than a USB3. My VCR is connected to a ADVC-55 via RCA cables. The output of the ADVC-55 is a 6 pin Firewire. This is my dilemma. I purchased a 9 pin firewire cable(800) which came with adapters, one to match the 6 pin end, the other end adapted to fit Apple's Thunderbolt port.The green status light on the ADVC-55 is telling me that the signal is getting through. Any thoughts?
RichXCastel
New User
New User

Return to Music ~~ & Video