FAQSearch

Previous topic | Next topic
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]

Facebook and Warner/Sony music

Facebook and Warner/Sony music

Offline - Frequent Contributor
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:24 pm Post
Hi all, hope everyone is well! Apologies if this has been asked previously, but I searched and didn't find it.

I've been reading stories about Facebook now allowing use of Warner and Sony companies copyrighted music in videos. Anybody know how this works? Or can we just use any recording of the music we have (wav, mp3, etc) in our videos as usual but our videos won't be taken down or muted?

I've found articles about the new agreement among the companies, but don't want to go ahead if there is a procedure to follow. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

~karri
Last post Reply with quote 

Re: Facebook and Warner/Sony music

Offline - Super Moderator
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:54 pm Post
That's interesting, Karri.

I don't know anything about it, but hopefully someone does.

I've never had a problem using any music in a Facebook post -- though I have had music censored in a couple of YouTube videos I uploaded.

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:45 pm Post
Thanks, Steve! I'm usually the last to know most things! haha :)

Here is one article about it. I've had copyright notices on Youtube even for music I have purchased. It all works out in the end, but being able to legally use Warner and Sony music would be so better.

https://hypebeast.com/2018/3/facebook-warner-music-group-licensing-deal

Offline - Moderator
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:09 pm Post
The wording in that link leads me to believe that you will have to purchase a license for each piece of music in order to use it.

Offline - Moderator
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:47 pm Post
Last December, Facebook shared the news that it signed a multi-year licensing deal with Universal Music Group. The following month, Facebook and Sony Music Publishing signed a licensing agreement for the label’s extensive library. Facebook now has deals secured with all the major music labels behind them, allowing users to use licensed music in videos posted by users on Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Instagram, and Oculus.

Sounds like you can just go ahead and use the music and will not be punished.

Sidd

Offline - Moderator
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:58 pm Post
The problem is that the details of the agreements have not been made public and Facebook has not yet published the details of how it's going to work. It could go either way.

Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:33 pm Post
Thanks everyone!

I guess we'll just have to wait for the public announcement :-D If I hear anything I'll post it here.
Top Reply with quote 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]
Previous topic | Next topic