They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Need info on new technology

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Need info on new technology

Postby PaulC » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:48 pm

I have always used minidv for various reasons so have had no reason to check the new formats. A couple of years ago I left a Canon vixia hv30 in for cleaning to best buy, I had extended warranty and they recommended doing this. It seemed like a good idea until they called me to say the camera was beyond repair and would be replaced. It took a lot of arguing but I finally got a vixia hv40. I'm off to Madagascar in September so I left the camera in for a check up, stressing to the geek that it was working and just needed cleaning, and once again they say it is damaged beyond repair. I doubt I'll get a minidv camera out of them this time so I'd like to get an idea of what I should insist on before going to them. I really need 'real manual focus', not through the lcd. I film birds mostly and I need to focus on the fly and can't do this using the lcd. Otherwise I just want something of similar quality to the vixia. I'd also like to know if anyone else has had this experience with best buy. It seems like a scam, but I can't figure out how. Thanks.
Dell XPS420 running Windows 10 Home, Core 2 Quad Q2660 processor@2.4, EVGA GeForce GT 730 2GB GDDR5 64bit , 3gb memory, 300gb and 1.5 terabyte hard drives.
PaulC

Re: Need info on new technology

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:24 am

That is pretty suspicious, Paul! Maybe they're trying to get you away from tape-based technology.

If it were me, I'd hold out for another HDV tape-based camcorder. (And then I'd quit taking my cams to Best Buy for maintenance.)

But AVCHD is becoming the new standard for hi-def video editing. With your computer, you should be able to edit it with no problems. (Though I might invest in an upgrade to Windows 7.) The current version (v9) of Premiere Elements handles AVCHD much more efficiently than previous versions. And maintenance should go easier, since you no longer have a tape transport system to deal with.

Canon makes some excellent AVCHD cams. You should be able to get a hard disk cam comparable to your HV40. (Have a look at the HF40.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:04 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:That is pretty suspicious, Paul!

That was my reaction, too.

My thought was that perhaps someone at BB wanted his HV40 because the unit is no longer available, however, I just checked B&H. It's still available, and for only $649, which given the decline of the dollar since the time the unit was selling for a lot more, is an amazing price.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:30 pm

For bird videos, I'd recommend a video-capable DSLR... you'll get top-quality HD video and have the option of a wide variety of lenses to fit any given situation. Good models to look at are the Canon T2i and T3i, Panasonic Lumix GH2 (or other G-series), and Nikon D3100 & D5100. If you already have SLR lenses for a particular brand, that will make the decision easier. If not, I like the Pannys because with the Micro-Four-Thirds system you can get an adapter for old manual-focus Canon FD lenses which are plentiful & cheap these days.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby slushparlor1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi,

I felt this way a few years ago when my ipod battery died and I couldn't hear out of one of the earphones. Apple wanted to take it and give me 10% off a new one - gee thanks. I looked around and found: http://www.ipodjuice.com/. They installed a battery and fixed the headphones for well less than I would have paid for another one. I'm still using the ipod. People are so quick to give up on old technology. I'm not saying moving ahead isn't great, but spending money that you don't need too is foolish. But then again I don't own a flat panel t.v. either :lol: My 27inch Sony is still going strong :0
slushparlor1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby PaulC » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:01 pm

thanks for all the replies. I looked at the mf40 but it does not have a view finder or a manual focus ring. I'm surprised at how hard it is to find a camcorder with a view finder or a manual focus ring. So far the only camcorder I've found with a manual focus ring is the Canon Vixia HF G10, and I can't see bb giving me that. If there are others out there they are not advertising the fact. Well, back to the search, thanks again for the input.
Dell XPS420 running Windows 10 Home, Core 2 Quad Q2660 processor@2.4, EVGA GeForce GT 730 2GB GDDR5 64bit , 3gb memory, 300gb and 1.5 terabyte hard drives.
PaulC

Postby PaulC » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:49 pm

I ended up with a Canon Vixia HF M41. I'm very pleased with it but it seems PE4 does not recognize the avchd files. I guess I will have to get new editing software. I presume I will have to make sure the software can deal with 24p and 30p if I shoot in this format. For both of these formats Canon says it records at 60i, I read a little on this in the Video Editor forum and I suspect I'll need to do some more research before I buy any software.
PaulC

Postby Paul LS » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:22 am

Yes, I dont think PE4 supported AVCHD format, the latest versions of Premiere Elements do.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:27 am

Version 9 will handle the files but they will probably be coming out with version 10 in the next 60 days if they continue the same pattern. Might want to hold off if you can.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Kerrie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Great to find this post. I just got the canon vixia HF R21. I figured my PrE 4 would not be able to handle the editing. I am going to wait for PrE 10. Can't wait to see the reviews on it.
Kerrie

Dell Vostro Laptop; 2.2 GHz, core 2 duo, 2 gig ram, 2x160 gig 7200 rpm HDs
Kerrie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Barb O » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi Kerrie,

FYI - concerning your new video camcorder, I suggest that you look at my thread because the Canon VIXIA camcorder that I recently purchased probably has similarities to yours.

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=9881&p=86631#p86631

So far, I have only displayed a few short video scenes direct from my camcorder to TV via an HDMI cable. But I do intend to try Steve's suggestion of Quicktime as a temporary approach.

Barb
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Camcorders