They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Canon vs. Panasonic

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Canon vs. Panasonic

Postby colbykenyon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:03 pm

Hello. I've tried various mid-range Canon models and always ran into the exact same problem: an internal hissing/static noise when recording. This occurs even when using a good lavaliere microphone. I finally found a mid-range camcorder with an external mic. jack (other than Canon). It's a Panasonic TM700 and the audio is vastly superior to the Canon models (no hissing sound!). My question is, do any of you who've used one reccomend the Panasonic TM700? The Canon (HM30) is actually much easier to use and has a lot more features, but I can't get past the audio issues and don't want to have to mess around with it post-production, so I'm leaning towards the Panasonic based on the audio. The video quality b/w the 2 seems pretty similiar to me. Anyway, I only have a few days left to return the Panasonic, so any feedback would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

Colby
colbykenyon
New User
New User

Re: Canon vs. Panasonic

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:40 pm

HI Colby,
I have heard good things about the TM700, probably a good choice.
My camcorder is the Canon HV40 and I have had no issues with it at all, especially with noise when recording.
Maybe because the HV40 is tape based, not sure.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:50 pm

Lower-end Canons have some cheapie problems, as you describe, Colby. But, once you get into the mid-range, it's about the best in its class! So I'm surprised you're having problems with an HDV or AVCHD Canon.

Panasonic trail way behind Sony and Canon, in my not so humble opinion. But a lot of people are picking up that TM700.

One word of warning: That cam shoots in 60p as well as 60i. If you plan to edit in a program like Premiere Elements, you'll want to restrict your video to 60i. 60p seems to be a bit too advanced for a lot of consumer-based editing programs.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby nkummer » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi,
I have commented a few times on the TM700 on this forum. I have had mine since last April, and I really like like. I do have one point of clarification that Steve made. It is absolutely true that editing in 60p is a bit of a chore for PE9, however I (and I believe others on this forum) agree that the 60p quality is better than 60i. I shoot all my video in 60p, and then use the software and camera to convert it to 60i when I edit it. Conversion is quite fast. I still keep all my original video in 60p in the hope that at a future date, equipment and software will be better and I will not have a problem editing it. Just my two cents.
Regards,
Norm
nkummer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Camcorders