They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Rookie Question - battery life

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Rookie Question - battery life

Postby Ted » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:29 am

Hello all,

I have a VERY ROOKIE question about the life of a camcorder battery (specifically the BP-807 for my Canon HF-S10).

I went to plug it into my camcorder today and nada, zilch, zip. I placed it in the charger and the light didn't change. It remained green. (Normally, it turns red when charging and then green when charged).

I tried charging it in the camcorder itself... the charging light flashed four times and stopped flashing. When I have it in my camcorder, I get a message. "Replace battery pack."

Am I safely assuming that the battery is dead. It's disheartening, because I don't believe I had it long and it's a Canon brand, for goodness' sake!

I'm now thinking I may get a non-Canon brand. Yes, I know they aren't as "sure" as a Canon brand, but if this one is indeed dead, then I don't have much faith in Canon's batteries! :P

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you! :)
"Satan trembles when he sees
the weakest saint on his knees."
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Rookie Question - battery life

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:33 am

Ted,

The BP-807 is a Lithium ion battery. Lithium ion batteries generally last several years, but it depends on how many times you charge and recharge them. These types of battery can be easily damaged by completely discharging the battery or storing it for a long time allowing it to self discharge to too low of a level. Heat will also kill them quickly. Here is an article with good information about the sorts of things that can cause problems and what to do about them to extend the life of the battery. http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
Bob

Postby Peru » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:38 am

I've had good luck with Lenmar brand aftermarket batteries for my Sony camcorders.
They are about half the price of OEM Sony and are at least as good.

I'm sure they make for Canon as well.
Peru

Postby Ted » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:48 am

Bob and Peru, I thank you very much for taking time to respond.

The article proved to be very interesting. I now see that since I don't use my camcorder for long periods of time between uses, my batteries will always be at risk of dying prematurely.

I'm unsure what I can do to either prevent this or, more accurately, slow it down. I can remove the batteries from the unit, but even then they can discharge on their own.

Should I store them in the refrigerator? Will that slow down the process?

I can't really buy an extra to fall back on, because that will suffer the same fate.

How do you all store/use your batteries to the fullest potential?

Peru, I've heard of Lenmar. I'll check to see if they make them for my model camcorder. Thanks for the referral.
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:21 am

I bought two extra lithium-ion batteries when I purchased my camcorder about 4 years ago. Each time I'm planning to use it, if it's been a while, I make a point of charging all 3 batteries, even if I'm only planning a short shoot. They like being kept charged (contrary to the old Ni-Cad technology rechargeables) and won't suffer any "memory" problems from it. Charge your battery(ies) after each use, and put a reminder in your electronic calendar to charge them once a month and you should get a long life out of them.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Ted » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:36 am

Ah! A monthly reminder is a good idea...thanks for that, Dave. I appreciate it. :)
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bobby » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:40 pm

I agree with Dave and charge my 3 camcorder batteries regularly and just before a shoot.

External chargers are often easier for that - you don't have to get the camera and cord out. I leave the external charger home on my charging table, usually.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ted » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi Bobby and thanks for responding.

A charging table. Maybe I need to set up one of those for myself, seeing as I have so many things that need charging! ;)
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:47 pm

If I had a charging table I would be climbing on it myself 2 or 3 times a day :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ted » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:11 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:If I had a charging table I would be climbing on it myself 2 or 3 times a day :)

ROFL. I like your strategy, Chuck!
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bobby » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:26 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:If I had a charging table I would be climbing on it myself 2 or 3 times a day :)

Ah Chuck - gettin' old - join the club :lol:
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:31 pm

Ted wrote:...A charging table. Maybe I need to set up one of those for myself, seeing as I have so many things that need charging...

Well, actually, it is the top of a 3-shelf bookshelf. It is a very convenient height. I have all my chargers on it - cell, AAs, and specific battery charger units. There is a power strip on one end, and all the chargers are plugged into that so I can shut them all off when not charging and keep the parasitic power usage down.

As long as we are here, I might mention that I have never tried any of those wireless, drop-on, charging pad units - mostly because they require that you have some kind of shell or adapter around the unit being charged. Anybody use one of those?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ted » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:37 pm

Bobby wrote:
Ted wrote:...A charging table. Maybe I need to set up one of those for myself, seeing as I have so many things that need charging...

Well, actually, it is the top of a 3-shelf bookshelf. It is a very convenient height. I have all my chargers on it - cell, AAs, and specific battery charger units. There is a power strip on one end, and all the chargers are plugged into that so I can shut them all off when not charging and keep the parasitic power usage down.

As long as we are here, I might mention that I have never tried any of those wireless, drop-on, charging pad units - mostly because they require that you have some kind of shell or adapter around the unit being charged. Anybody use one of those?

I'm in the same mentality as you, Bobby. I'm happy with my current cell phone case and the idea of having a case that has to be put on just to charge... Naw.

Also, when I think of it, it doesn't take me a HUGE amount of time to:
1. Take my phone out of its holster case.
2. Plug it into the adapter.

We're becoming a society that glorifies laziness.

Case in point - fresh breath strips. The only energy required is placing the strip on your tongue.

It won't be long before we want glasses that have motorized lid openers. We simply sit there and a motor opens and closes our eyelids at programmed intervals.
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:32 pm

It won't be long before we want glasses that have motorized lid openers. We simply sit there and a motor opens and closes our eyelids at programmed intervals.

Ooh! I want one of those! :-8
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Ted » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:12 am

Dave McElderry wrote:

Ooh! I want one of those! :-8

You'll have to wait, Dave! [-X

They'll be invented right after somebody takes a stab at perfecting pre-chewed food:

"Yes, I'd like a pre-chewed Big Mac... and um... some pre-chewed fries. Perhaps a pre-sipped shake to go with it." :-&
Ted
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Next

Return to Camcorders