They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

choosing a new camcorder

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

choosing a new camcorder

Postby 357 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:09 am

As a new member and as one not nearly as experienced as the members of this forum, I need your help and advice on choosing a camcorder. My research has not really enlightened me any. I chose a Samsung sc-mx10 flash camcorder that was really high rated on every review I read. I am returning that camcorder because the quality of the video is not acceptable. I need a camcorder that has video at least equal to my failed Sony Digital hi 8 camcorder. The Samsung quality is equal to or below that of my $80 Kodak camera video. So...... is all flash video just not up to tape quality yet? If so my next choice (if Forum members agree) would be a hard drive camcorder. I need to be in the $600 range, if possible. I just cannot trust reviews. I need input from actual users like the Forum members that certainly know quality video when they see it. Any and all replies and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Re: choosing a new camcorder

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:40 am

Welcome to Muvipix, 357, the friendliest, most knowledgeable video forum on the web! You've definitely come to the right place for answers!

A couple of questions for you:
1) Do you want to shoot in standard def or hi-def video? Hi-def looks great is nearly in your price range -- but it takes a bit more power to edit it -- especially if you go to the AVCHD hard drive format. Which brings us to the second question:
2) How fast is your computer? AVCHD really requires at least a quad core or i7 processor to work with. HDV (tape-based hi-def) can be edited on a dual-core machine.
3) How important is having a hard drive camcorder? Tape-based camcorders (both standard and hi-def) produce a much easier video format to edit. But newer versions of most editing programs are also getting better at working with AVCHD and hard drive formats.

Finally:
4) How serious of a videomaker are you? The latest version of Premiere Elements supports the editing of video from Flip camcorders -- $200 hi-def camcorders that fit in your pocket. For routine, unsophisticated home movies, these cams can't be beat. Though they do have their limitations.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby 357 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:03 am

357 wrote:As a new member and as one not nearly as experienced as the members of this forum, I need your help and advice on choosing a camcorder. My research has not really enlightened me any. I chose a Samsung sc-mx10 flash camcorder that was really high rated on every review I read. I am returning that camcorder because the quality of the video is not acceptable. I need a camcorder that has video at least equal to my failed Sony Digital hi 8 camcorder. The Samsung quality is equal to or below that of my $80 Kodak camera video. So...... is all flash video just not up to tape quality yet? If so my next choice (if Forum members agree) would be a hard drive camcorder. I need to be in the $600 range, if possible. I just cannot trust reviews. I need input from actual users like the Forum members that certainly know quality video when they see it. Any and all replies and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

What about the Canon Vixia hf-m31?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:12 am

For your US$600 price point have you looked at offerings from the 'main three' - Sony, Canon and Panasonic? I am not in the market for a camera at present so am not up to date with the latest offerings, so am unable to help beyond that suggestion. :(
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby 357 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:34 am

Sorry Guys! I am floundering around trying to learn this forum! i have the i7 920 processor. I have been looking ay the HD Canon HF-M31 and it is flash with external sd card as well. The quality of the video is supposed to be great but I need the Forum's opinion. So I guess flash video IS equal or superior to tape? This camera has a 3 meg still camera as well but the hot shoe is "mini" and I don't guess my Canon Speedlite would work (from my Canon 20d) unless an adapter is available. Forum's opinion of the Cannon hf-m31 or upper scale flash cannon camcorders in general?

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:08 pm

When I was looking for a new camera I went with the Canon HV40, tape based HDV.
Much prefer the ease of working with tape and a format that is native to Premiere Pro and Elements.
Lots of people love the flash based camcorders for recording but editing seems to often be a challenge.
Not sure about the HF-M31 but I'm sure there will be plenty of input coming up.

As far as the forum goes, I think your doing just fine 357 :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:34 pm

The Canon HF is also a terrific camcorder, 357. I think you'll be very happy with it.

As Chuck said, tape-based video is much easier to work with and demands much less computer power. But, using Premiere Elements 9, for instance, on your computer, you should have no problems whatsoever.

As John says, you can't go wrong with Canon, Sony or Panasonic.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby SteveG » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:19 pm

Hey 357, what did you end up getting? I am in the market for an HD video camera too. My wife is splurging on one for me for x-mas. I looked at the HF-M31 among many others but having a hard time deciding.
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Camcorders