They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Monopod tips?

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Monopod tips?

Postby momoffduty » Tue May 04, 2010 9:37 am

Found this light, small collapse size monopod at Amazon. Will use the Muvipix link to order.I read on another forum to be careful that the screw may be longer than needed and could damage the camcorder or camera and to use a washer. Will use with an HV30 & D40. I realize that this connects directly to the cam or camera. The use is for those times I do not want to take my tripod, but would like some support for steady shots.

Any tips on using a monopod?

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-790B-Mo ... 286&sr=8-1
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Monopod tips?

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue May 04, 2010 9:54 am

Did you buy the Manfrotto 3229 Swivel Tilt Head with Quick Release to go with it?
Would take care of the long screw issue and add some additional functionality.
I prefer a monopod over a tripod any day, very versatile, easy to get into small spaces or crowds, very stable, lots of advantages.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Tue May 04, 2010 10:06 am

I am also interested in this thread and folks recommendations. I have been thinking about getting a monopod as it is such a pain to carry a tripod around when we go on walks. Would be nice to just carry a monopod in my backpack.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Tue May 04, 2010 10:40 am

Chuck Engels wrote:Did you buy the Manfrotto 3229 Swivel Tilt Head with Quick Release to go with it?

Haven't hit the submit button yet. I did look at this head & a fair price. But, the first review states that is tilts and does not swivel. That would be good for a camera to get portrait and landscape shots. Not sure how useful that would be for a camcorder.

Main purpose is something light & easy to stabilize a shot and give my arms a rest. Read some very good reviews on a larger monopod from Manfratto that has 3 small feet and a ball head in the base. But, too big & heavy for my intentions.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue May 04, 2010 11:06 am

This thread has also caught my attention because I've been doing a lot of tripod work lately and have often wished that I had a monopod instead. In fact I've been known to keep the tripod legs folded together and use it as sort of a monopod, but of course it's really too bulky that way.

Cheryl, regarding the lack of a swivel on the head, I have to wonder how it would work to just turn the whole monopod. On most surfaces it seems like the "bite" of the foot into the surface would be minimal, and might allow for doing this. This is more of a question than a statement, since I've had no experience with them.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Tue May 04, 2010 11:14 am

Dave that is what I was thinking too about just turning and not needing a swivel head. I searched thru quite a few monopods. Some have a spike which I don't need. Or they are too heavy and large collapsed so what is the point, may as well have a tripod. Some monopods you have to turn to open up the legs and I prefer the 3 clamps (not sure what it is called). Just ordered the 790B and not a bad price for $31 & no shipping cost.

The other one which is larger and has some very good reviews & clips on Vimeo is the Manfrotto 560B.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Ken Jarstad » Tue May 04, 2010 11:22 am

I bought a cheapy, about 15 bucks or so, at my local Fred Meyer store about two years ago. No problem with thread depth but I don't use it much because of the lack of horizontal stability. The vertical is of course fine but I find that rotation, horizontally is rather obvious to the viewer. Holding on to the flip out screen helps but - it's a though you need some sort of horizontal handle grip.

I don't quit know how to describe it but people understand and are forgiving of hand held camera movement. Some film makers even exaggerate it create drama. But the horizontal rotation with steady vertical somehow looks weird. Maybe I'm excessing on this a bit - but I recommend trying it and looking for it.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue May 04, 2010 11:50 am

When I envision using a monopod, and when I've used my tripod as one, I picture using one hand on the head handle and the other on the monopod, just below the head. The grip on the monopod itself seems like it would provide the horizontal stability. Am I wrong about this technique? Maybe it's not as straightforward as it seems it would be.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Ken Jarstad » Tue May 04, 2010 12:02 pm

Looking again at the earlier posts I see that some monopods may be set up with a swivel head. If that is so perhaps my monopod is too primitive. :?:
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby cdeemer » Tue May 04, 2010 1:10 pm

I've been using a monopod for several years and find it easy and effective. Yes, I pan by turning it in place; I tilt it; I hold it out a window; I twirl it around; I do all sorts of things with it. Much easier than a tripod for the kind of shots I usually take.
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Mon May 10, 2010 2:00 pm

The Manfrotto 790B arrived. Tried it with my HV30 and feels very stable. The tip is rubber and not plastic. The latches flip easily to open and close. Very lightweight & 15 in collapsed. The HV30 can take up to 5.5mm(.2in) attachment. Measured the monopod & is the same measurement. I was very unsure about this light weight monopod, but testing it out it feels very stable and easy to pan. Think it will be useful for many events.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon May 10, 2010 2:09 pm

Did you get the Swivel Tilt Head Chuck recommended? I am curious how that might work.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Mon May 10, 2010 3:03 pm

Ken Jarstad wrote:Did you get the Swivel Tilt Head Chuck recommended? I am curious how that might work.

I did not get the Swivel Tilt Head. Thought it would add too much weight. If I want to go that route in the future I think this would be the monopod to get. Pricier than the $31 790B.

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-560B-Fl ... B000M19LES
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby karri » Thu May 13, 2010 7:36 am

Ken Jarstad wrote:I bought a cheapy, about 15 bucks or so, at my local Fred Meyer store about two years ago. No problem with thread depth but I don't use it much because of the lack of horizontal stability. The vertical is of course fine but I find that rotation, horizontally is rather obvious to the viewer. Holding on to the flip out screen helps but - it's a though you need some sort of horizontal handle grip.

I don't quit know how to describe it but people understand and are forgiving of hand held camera movement. Some film makers even exaggerate it create drama. But the horizontal rotation with steady vertical somehow looks weird. Maybe I'm excessing on this a bit - but I recommend trying it and looking for it.

Ken, I had the exact reaction when I tried a monopod, and you explain it better than I could, but yes the horizontal rotation with steady vertical was very odd. Maybe we have similar technique :) I went with the hand grip.
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:56 pm

Update. I am very happy I purchased the monopod. Best $31 investment. Used it several times at performances that seating was tables & chairs. At one performance I had to adjust the height to be above the head in front of me and was easy to use. Another performance I had a better view and adjusted to my eye level. Panning left to right was very easy since it pivots on a rubber tip. One thing I had to be aware of was how level the camcorder was. The video wouldn't be too forgiving with the line of the stage at an angle. Gripped with one hand and rested the end next to my foot to keep things stable.

Guess this goes without saying, but use the top sections first since the last is the smallest and less stable. Very easy & fast to attach the camcorder with a few twists. The monopod is very lightweight & fit easily on top of my camcorder bag under the flap.

In the next few months I will be using this at a volleyball game sitting in bleachers. I can see using this at many events. Sure saves on your arm getting tired trying to hold the camcorder steady.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Next

Return to Camcorders