They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

turn off splash screen on HV40

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

turn off splash screen on HV40

Postby Jayell » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:14 pm

When you first turn the Canon HV40 on, you get a screen with time, date, etc. I've looked at the manual, but don't see a way to make this NOT appear. I shoot mainly wildlife .. and by the time I get the camera turned on and this initial info off the screen, whatever I was shooting may be gone :(
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: turn off splash screen on HV40

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:28 pm

Mine doesn't have that screen Jayell. I will check and see what I can find out.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:37 pm

Just so I'm being clear, Chuck. It isn't really a screen .. just the lettering over your view of whatever you're trying to video. It's only a couple seconds, but in my case that makes a difference.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:23 pm

If you press the DISP button that will go away. The DISP (display) button is on the top left side next to the Light button near the rear of the camcorder.

You can still see the video behind the display startup can't you?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:54 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:If you press the DISP button that will go away.

Yes, but I'm trying to get it to NOT come up at all. In the time it takes to hit the DISP button, it would have almost gone away by itself. Most of my video work doesn't allow for lots of time to prepare. I'll try that for awhile, but I was looking for LESS functions to deal with, not more :-8
Chuck Engels wrote:You can still see the video behind the display startup can't you?

Not very well when it's a small, quick-moving bird, lizard, etc.

But I guess that answers my initial question. Thanks, Chuck.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:41 pm

Pardon me but your camcorder has a computer in it, too. It needs time to "boot up" and that's most likely the pause that you are seeing. Still cameras do the same.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:41 am

Ken Jarstad wrote:Pardon me but your camcorder has a computer in it, too. It needs time to "boot up" and that's most likely the pause that you are seeing. Still cameras do the same.

Yeah .. but folks are always trying to find ways of cutting that boot time down. :-D
Now when I'm outdoors shooting wildlife, I just keep the camera on most of the time. Just trying to see if I could avoid using all that battery time when I'm just sitting waiting for that next great shot. :roll:
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby karri » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:26 am

Jayell, I haven't used one, but I read about some cameras, I think the Canon flash-based ones, have a "pre-record" setting ... when you set to this mode the camera records a few seconds even before you press the record button, so you don't miss the beginning of what you want to capture. I will search for a link.
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Jayell » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:32 am

That sounds a little odd, Karri. But unfortunately doesn't really resolve my issue. I'm just trying to SEE what I'm recording through the lettering that appears on the screen when you hit the record button. It isn't that major an issue, just frustrating when I want to record moving wildlife. I can't complain too much. This is a great recorder, and I've gotten some great stuff so far :-D
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:09 am

Yeah .. but folks are always trying to find ways of cutting that boot time down. :-D

I have heard of 'quick boot' programming. There are far more people hacking electronic devices these days. For instance there are a couple of well known replacement operating systems for popular routers. And I saw an article a while back for programming the Canon still cameras. Canon's cameras and camcorders have the same main chip named DIGIC. Perhaps checking the HV20 forum, even asking the question, would be an idea.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby karri » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:32 am

Jayell wrote:That sounds a little odd, Karri.

Yea, all this is way over my head how they can do things like this, but here is a link to one of the Canon cameras (although I realize now that isn't what you want) Click on "Superb Shooting Control" under the Features and scroll about just past halfway down the page to the "Pre-Record" heading:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=177&modelid=17994#ModelFeaturesAct

Jayell wrote:But unfortunately doesn't really resolve my issue. I'm just trying to SEE what I'm recording through the lettering that appears on the screen when you hit the record button. It isn't that major an issue, just frustrating when I want to record moving wildlife. I can't complain too much. This is a great recorder, and I've gotten some great stuff so far :-D

On the HV, leaving the camera on but closing the LCD, when you reopen it, it doesn't show the display. Maybe when you think an animal is approaching you could flip it open. Should use less battery I think? I don't know if that would be any better solution for you, though :(

I agree about the camera, I have the HV30 and have a lot of fun with it.
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:39 am

I've done quite a bit of checking up on this and here is what it comes down to.
Even if you could stop the display from showing on the LCD screen the camera would still not be ready to shoot.
Therefore you wouldn't gain anything anyway so it is actually better that the display is there. That way you are not thinking you may be recording something when you really are not.

It was an interesting search though :)

Pages 61 and 62 in the user's manual is about all the info on changing the display that is available.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:42 pm

karri wrote:On the HV, leaving the camera on but closing the LCD, when you reopen it, it doesn't show the display. Maybe when you think an animal is approaching you could flip it open. Should use less battery I think? I don't know if that would be any better solution for you, though :(

Probably would use less battery .. but I don't use the LCD screen for shooting :-D
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:I've done quite a bit of checking up on this and here is what it comes down to.
Even if you could stop the display from showing on the LCD screen the camera would still not be ready to shoot.
Therefore you wouldn't gain anything anyway so it is actually better that the display is there. That way you are not thinking you may be recording something when you really are not.It was an interesting search though :)

Ahh, isn't that interesting. That's good to know, Chuck. Thanks so much for your research! Aren't you glad we ask questions, so that you can do OUR work for US. I just didn't know where else to look, since the manual didn't seem to address the issue (for a reason, apparently).
Chuck Engels wrote:Pages 61 and 62 in the user's manual is about all the info on changing the display that is available.

Yes, I'm very familiar with those pages :-D
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Camcorders