They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Need Help, Please

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Postby ridon127 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:17 pm

O.K. Thanks. I knew that before I asked but thought maybe there would be a less time comsumong way to do it.
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:29 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So do I have to record my analog tapes to my camcorder, then put them on my computer via the firewire? Is there another or a better way to do it?

Actually, now that I've re-read your post, Donna, of course there is a better way. Two ways, in fact.

This is from our searchable FAQ:

A number of affordable "bridges" produce very nice results. The ADS Pyro AV Link sells for under $200 and produces DV-AVI files from analog input [and that would include input from the AV out plugs on a hard drive or DVD camcorder]. (The camcorder's AV cables plug into the bridge, which firewires its output to the computer.) Another commonly used bridge is the Canopus ADVC100. Although priced higher than the Pyro Link, it produces excellent results.

Another solution for capturing analog video is to use what is known as a pass-through -- connecting the analog camcorder to the inputs on a DV camcorder and then connecting the DV camcorder to the computer via firewire. This process works on the same principle as the AV bridge and also produces acceptable results. Similarly, many Sony Digital8 camcorders are also capable of playing 8mm and Hi8 videotapes. In doing so, the camcorder digitizes the analog as part of its playback and the video can to brought into the computer via a standard firewire connection.

There are a number of analog input devices on the market, however, whose resultant digital files can be very problematic when used in Premiere Elements. Examples include the Plextor converter and the All-in-Wonder card. Although these devices will digitize analogue video, both do so for specific purposes not related to NLE editing. The All-In-Wonder records video for computer playback, for instance. The Plextor digitizes video for the express purpose of creating DVDs. In most cases, such hardware comes with software designed specifically to work with their resultant files.

Generally, there are two features which determine whether your AV bridge will produce files which you can edit successfully in Premiere Elements:
1) The device attaches to the computer via a firewire (IEEE-1394) connection. USB devices are not capable of sustaining the necessary data throughput to allow for high-quality digital video capture.
2) The resultant files are DV-AVI files.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby William Tranter » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:43 pm

It's worth noting that the video (yellow) and audio (red and white) sockets on the FRONT of VCRs are invariably INPUT only. (Why do manufacturers do this?) All outputs are always on the rear of the machine. Quite often there is a little line of text next to the video and audio inputs giving the input number to distinguish it from the other inputs at the back of the machine.
On fairly expensive VCRs (like Sony VCR recorders) many of them have a Firewire (or IEEE1394 or "i-Link") socket also at the front of the machine, and this will give digital input, but even then not output.
Hope this helps others having the same difficulty, especially these days as VCR machines slowly disappear and with DVD machines taking their place.
All the best,
Bill
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ridon127 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:03 pm

I went to get a firewire and I am in business now. I actually think I hooked everything up right.. I a sitting in a sea of wires. I have the video playing on my computer and when I hit capture it says cannot detect date. The date is right there on the screen. I wound it all the way to the beginning and it still didn't work. It also says I only have 1 hr. and 45 mins of space left on my computer. I just bought a 500 gb Seagate External hard drive. Why isn't it going there?
Thanks
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:34 pm

Hi Donna,

I hit capture it says cannot detect date.

You need to turn off the Scene Detection because it can't find the timecode on the tape.

I just bought a 500 gb Seagate External hard drive. Why isn't it going there

Have you set the Scratch Disks in Preferences to capture video to your new drive?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:35 am

And is it formatted NTFS. If it is FAT32 you will be only able to capture up to 4GB or approximately 18 minutes of DV-AVI. To convert to NTFS see here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;307881
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ridon127 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:34 am

I believe it is NTFS. I saw that when I was doing some other things. I need to know how to put my current project on my external hard drive. I searched some for that info today but haven't found specific instructions so far.
Thanks for everyone's help. It is so appreciated. That is what makes this forum so worth it.
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:07 am

Donna, it may be more trouble than it is worth to put your current project on the new drive, just leave it where it is ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ridon127 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:19 am

O.K. Chuck. Thanks for your help.
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:51 am

You sound disappointed, do you really want to move it?

There are a couple ways to do that and it isn't hard if you have been putting each project in a separate folder. If the projects are all mixed together in a single folder then it will be a little more difficult just to move them.

You can also use the File/Save As command and save the project as a new name on your new drive. The video clips and images for the project will all remain where they where on the old drive however.

Then there is the Archive feature. You can archive the complete project to a folder on the new drive.

So if you really want to do it there are at least 3 ways ;)
If you need any help just let us know, but you really don't have to move it at all.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ridon127 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:45 pm

Chuck,

No, I am not disappointed. Please forgive me for leaving that impression. I was trying to corral these kids and get them ready for a birthday party so I just zipped off a short answer.. You aren't going to revoke my muvipix membership are you???LOL I don't want to do any unneccesary work. I will put my next project on the other drive. Sooooooooo sorry.
Doing a kids party on Saturday morning at my age isn't my idea of a good day.. I would love to have stayed home and worked on this project I need to have done by the end of July.
Thanks
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:57 pm

I know what you mean :)
My Wife and I had 3 children, when the youngest was 15 along came another
:shock:

Now I am 50 years old with a 6 year old son, having the best time of my life but find it challenging at times ;) There is more time to spend with my youngest but I don't have the energy that I had with the others.

Right now I am outside mowing the lawn and doing other yard work, I would much rather be editing video myself.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Clayton » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:32 pm

Chuck wrote:
Right now I am outside mowing the lawn and doing other yard work, I would much rather be editing video myself.

Really Chuck how do you do that and answer questions on the forum at the same time? :-D

Do you have a laptop strapped around your neck and type with one hand while pushing the mower with the other? :shock:
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:04 pm

Clay, you would be amazed at how good I am at multi-tasking :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:41 am

Yeah, but you should see what a lousy job he does on the lawn!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Camcorders