They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

helmet camcorder

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

helmet camcorder

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:39 pm

I make a lot of home videos with my kids playing on their scooters. I am looking for an inexpensive helmet camera that I could mount on their scooters and get video from their perspective. I have seen the “Tony Hawk” helmet cam for $50 but all the reviews said it was not a good camera. I am hesitant to mount “my” camcorder in case of a crash. Does anyone know of a decent inexpensive helmet camcorder??? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:05 pm

Google pulls up several interesting options -- much less expensive than I'd have expected!

http://www.helmetcamera.com/acart/agora ... era_&xm=on

http://www.xtremerecall.com/Products/Co ... ackage.htm
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:06 pm

Here are some instructions on making one
http://www.instructables.com/id/EVTKKHKERWEZ7BE7H2/

Here are some other great sites in the wiki article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmet_camera

And search results
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=helmet+cam

Lots of really interesting stuff, thanks for bringing it up. This looks like something Jamal would really be interested in :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

helmet cam

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:45 pm

thank you for the quick reply. One of the links had a link to http://helmetcameracentral.com/

looks like there is a lot of research to do. Thank you for the help.

Sidd
sidd finch

could this be a helmet cam of the future in HD

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:29 pm

After Steve & Chuck’s inspiration, I started doing a bit of research on the helmet cam idea and found this camcorder. Aiptek GO-HD High Definition 720p Camcorder. I know that this is not a “main camera” system, but from what I can see, you either buy the $89 piece of junk, get a used camcorder-camera etc….

So I started thinking that this might be a really cool alternative, especially since the decent lipstick helmet cams cost approx the same. The Aiptek is $256 from Amazon. Then I could get my kids their own camera too…….then the paranoia sets in and I remembered that I should ping the muxipix community for some lively feedback……….

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:45 am

Interestingly, Donna discovered this same camcorder earlier this week. You'll see the thread she started here:
http://muvipix.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=546
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ed » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:00 am

I've played around with the non HD version (Aiptek MPVR 6MP MPEG4) of this camera in the store. The lens looks kind of cheap. I thought about getting it, and am still thinking about it, for taking backpacking. It's small and light, which is good for backpacking/camping, and if it gets ruined you're not out to much money (about $100 online). If you're making videos just for the web the poorer quality image wouldn't matter as much.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Clayton » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:53 pm

For those of you interested in the helmet cams, the latest issue of Videomaker (just got it today) has an article on "Sport and Helmet cams". The have a list of suppliers and both of the ones Steve mentioned are on it. Don't know if you can access the article online or not. If you can't find it I will list all the suppliers they did. The article mostly talked about the various things to look for (types, batteries, mics, cases, tech support, etc..)
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

helmet cam

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:11 pm

I ordered a ATC-2K video recorder from Oregon Scientific and it came in the mail today. It looks pretty cool. I will report in once I have some footage.

Nothing like a new toy to play with.......

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:26 am

Recorded some underwater video of the kids in the pool. Very cool. This will never be a main camera but it lives up to its extreme claim. The next step is to hope the kids will not mind having another one of Dad's cameras follow them around. I know I will be in trouble if I see an application to the Screen Actors Guild in the mail. :)

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:18 pm

I forgot to mention a couple of things. If you are looking for this type of camera to add to your tool kit, make sure you get the 2GB flash. It will record 1 hour using 2 AA batteries.

Also, the file format is AVI from the camera but I found that it is better for editing to export the clips to AVI first in PE before you start to edit. It must be the codec the camera uses, but the original files look choppy. After the export to AVI the video looks a whole bunch smoother.

See ya underwater :)

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Paul LS » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:30 pm

Make sure to post an example of your work with the camera... would really like to see the under water stuff. By the way how were you using it under water... dont suppose they are selling hermetically sealed cameras yet. :)
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:25 pm

I will post some of them soon.

The camera is waterproof up to 9 meters of water. Since the camera comes with a couple of mounting devices, I secured it to a PVC stick I made to use as a "poor-mans-steadycam" for my Sony HC1.

For the ATC camera, I attached it to the stick and I just lean over in the pool and put the camera in the water. Since it is on a stick, I can rotate and move the camera around underwater. It is a bit tricky since I am not sure I am recording at the correct angle.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:43 pm

http://www.muvipix.com/cpg/displayi ... p?pos=-889

Thought you might like to see some footage I posted to the Muvipix site from the ATC 2K extreme cam.

The camera was mounted to the underside of my car about 10 inches from street level. I just drove around and speed up the footage.

While not as good a resolution as a dedicated camcorder, it is excellent for those POV angles and extreme shots.

Quite a fun little camera. I purchased a 2GB 60x memory card and it runs on 2 AA batteries. Something to add to the tool box.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:51 pm

Sid, this is great fun! And the low camera angle is so effective!

BTW, where do you live? I thought I caught a palm tree and a mountain. (On the other hand, it went by awful fast.)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Camcorders