They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Widescreen from a Canon DVD camcorder

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Re: Widescreen from a Canon DVD camcorder

Postby SteveG » Thu May 14, 2009 6:07 pm

Andy,

Thank you for the help. My computer just becomes very, very slow when I put the DVD in it. Then when I can actually open an explorer window, there are no files listed.

But, literally 15 minutes ago I looked on the cameras site and the knowledge base said:
When finalizing a disc, always power the camcorder directly from a power outlet. The finalization process cannot be started if the camcorder is powered only with the battery pack.

So I've got that going for me. :-)

If that still doesn't work then I will try that utility.
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby SteveG » Thu May 14, 2009 9:11 pm

Yep, that's all it was. The camcorder wouldn't start the finalizing unless it was plugged into a power outlet. :yh:

And as Paul said, I used the Interpret Footage and I got my widescreen. I've seen that feature before but never had a need to use it.

Thank you.
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu May 14, 2009 9:51 pm

Glad everything is finally starting to work for you Steve :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Fri May 15, 2009 5:38 am

SteveG wrote:...But, literally 15 minutes ago I looked on the cameras site and the knowledge base said:
When finalizing a disc, always power the camcorder directly from a power outlet. The finalization process cannot be started if the camcorder is powered only with the battery pack...

That, to me, is really weird and just smacks of what I call Second Order logic - when a secondary or tertiary issue tends to get more importance than the primary issue.

In this case, the primary issue is the ability to Finalize The Disc. Some product designer (and I use the word loosely) probably thought that it would be a bad thing if the power ran out DURING the finalization process - that would probably permanently wreck the disc. True. So to compensate for that perceived problem they put in this restriction which gets them out of the loop if there is a problem.

But now the simple task of finalizing a CD in the field cannot be done. The secondary issue trumped the primary issue. Perhaps instead they could have just checked the battery level in the camera microcode instead and put out a message if too low. Or put out an "Make sure you have enough battery life" before proceeding.

Well, anyhow, sorry for the long post and glad it worked!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby SteveG » Sat May 16, 2009 4:50 pm

Bob,

I see what you are saying but I also understand why they did what they did. I think I would rather be safe than sorry and have that restriction in place. Think about it this way. If you were out filming all day (maybe you had another battery, maybe you didn't, or maybe you used both batteries quite a bit), you probably do not have enough juice in the pack. I would rather take it home and plug it in. I don't think this camera was made for making a real movie so it should be that big of a deal.
Steve G

--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Previous

Return to Camcorders