They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Analog Capture Technique Through Sony HC32 Camcorder

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Analog Capture Technique Through Sony HC32 Camcorder

Postby videolady » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:36 pm

I thought I had this all straight in my head but I have black screen only when I try capturing analog video (from an old Hitachi VT-3106A VCR machine) with a passthrough to my Sony HC32 MiniDV camcorder and into my computer. I have been told this camera is capable of this passthrough method so I don't need to buy anything else (although I don't see any specific instructons for this in the manual).

I have the VCR connected to my camcorder via a cord that came with the camcorder that has the RCA jacks at the VCR end (the white, red and yellow plugged into the Video Out jacks) and an A/V plug at the camcorder end. Then my firewire from the camcorder to my computer. The VCR is not connected to a TV to view. I don't have a TV available to connect.

The camcorder is ON and in the PLAY mode. The VCR is ON and I press play and I can hear the tape playing, but on the PE3 preview screen, it remains black.

I had a miniDv tape in and it is able to be captured fine. When I take the tape out to just play the VCR tape through the camcorder to the computer, I get a 'Tape is ejected' message in the upper left corner of the Capture screen.

The VCR and camcorder do not have S-video connection options. Are there set up options I'm missing? Cable connections wrong? Something else? Cheap, easy fix?!?
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Analog Capture Technique Through Sony HC32 Camcorder

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:56 pm

Well, camcorderinfo.com says this about the HC32
and an A/V input/output, as opposed to the DCR-HC21’s A/V output. This last feature gives the DCR-HC32 the ability to perform analog to digital pass-through, to convert analog tapes to digital.

So it must be possible. Are you running on battery or is the camcorder plugged into a wall outlet?
Some of the Sony camcorders seem to be real fussy about using a Sony iLink cable, not just any Firewire cable.
I would consider that as a last resort though.

Amazon says this
Analog To Digital Conversion with Pass-Through
Convert and/or record any analog NTSC video source to digital video via the analog inputs. Analog NTSC video can also be passed in real time through the digital Handycam Camcorder directly into a PC via the i.LINK interface for easy PC editing of your analog footage.

Now to just find the instructions on how to get it to work :-k
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:58 pm

Have you tried using Record instead of Play on the camcorder?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:09 pm

Hey, Chuck. I am plugged into a wall outlet so battery doesn't run out. I tried Record instead of Play but it only showed 'Camera Mode' in the upper left Capture screen while the screen remained black.

I admit I don't have an iLink, it's a generic Firewire. But it works for the DV capture. Do you think it could be the culprit?
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:37 pm

Just to confirm...

You've removed the videotape from the camcorder and CLOSED THE CAMCORDER as if there were a tape in there, right?

You're in VTR mode but you haven't pressed Play (It wouldn't work anyway).

You've got Scene Detect and Report Dropped Frames turned off in Premiere Elements Capture workspace.

And make sure DV Output is selected in the camcorder. Here's how someone described it on another forum:
There is a setting on the camcorder to enable video passthrough, so make sure you have activated that. You'll know it is working when you can see the video from the VCR on the camcorders screen. On mine you set the camcorder to VTR (playback mode), and then hit the Menu button. Scroll down to ETC and set the A/V>DV Out option to On.

It doesn't sound like the "generic" FireWire cable is the problem.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:10 pm

I really appreciate your attention here, guys.

Yes, Steve to all you wanted to confirm. I didn't have Scene Detect and Report Dropped Frames turned off, but I did that and still had the same result.

HOWEVER, your last point about the camcorder settings...maybe this is the problem. And I just have to find the direction for this with this camcorder.My MENU screen seems to have limited options - Beep, Set Clock, Display Guide, Volume, Data Code and Erase All - none of which show anything about the AV DV setting.

I'll keep searching. Now that I'm sure the camcorder allows this passthrough, and you guys think I am basically hooked up right, I'm guessing it's a stupid camcorder setting. Thx, again.
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby videolady » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:40 pm

After checking out some sites that reviewed my camcorder, I see through photos, that my MENU options doesn't show them all. I should have about 3 screens to scroll through, but I only have 1 with no advance screen buttons and no screen number like 1/3 showing multple pages.

SO, I don't now if there is a setting to change or my camcorder is malfunctioning. I'm not great at web searching. Does anyone know of good sites to try and get help with this?

UGG! I can't afford a new camcorder. I just want to download these tapes and get to work!
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:02 pm

If anyone else wants to check this out, here is the manual
http://129.33.22.12/release/DCRHC32-42.pdf

I am checking to see what I can find out.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:07 pm

Videogirl, Check out page 80 in the manual. All of the instructions are there, follow them exactly.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:15 pm

Is the video playing back on the LCD screen of your camcorder as you are capturing?

Some commercial VHS tapes cannot be captured through pass-through with some camcorders because of copy protection.

One time I had to reset my camcorder by turning it off, unplug from wall outlet, remove the battery, wait about a minute, then put it back together.

Also, have the camcorder set up and ready to go before you start Premiere Elements.

Sometimes I can recover by unplugging the firewire cable from the camcorder, while it is on, waiting for the computer to go "dong," and then plugging the cable back in.

After capturing in Premiere Elements, make sure you click the Stop button. If you leave the camcorder in Pause mode and then close the capture window, you will probably have trouble capturing again.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby JohnnyO » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:20 pm

I have the DCR-HC30.

Here is how I did it.

1. Set camcorder in play mode.
2. Look through the meny. Choose Standard set - click OK
3. Scroll down and select A/V-?DV OUT - click OK
4. Select ON - click OK
5. click X again to get out of the menu

Now - when you do the pass through, the camcorder mut be in the play mode. Set Premiere Elements capture to No DV Control. There is no need to remove the tape as there is in some camcorders.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby videolady » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:42 pm

Thx to everyone. Johnny O may be the only one who will understand my specific issue, but it in fact was the camcorder configuration. Specific to the Sony, the 'Easy' button was ON which limited my MENU. Once I turned off Easy, the full menu screens appeared and I was able to follow your instructions and get to the AV DV choice.

I have successfully downloaded now!!!

Thx again, everyone! This site is awesome!
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:41 pm

Glad you got it all worked out, happy editing :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JohnnyO » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:22 am

videolady:

Glad you got it working. Another thing to watch for with this camcorder. If your buttons are in the same position as mine. Always check to make sure backlit is not pressed. It is righ nect tot he disp/battery info button. You can accideltally press the back lit button when you are checking the battery level. I have ruined footage doing this. And I have found it impossible to fix in Premiere Elements.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby videolady » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:33 pm

Yes, I see what you mean. The positions are exactly the same on my camcorder. Thx for the tip and your time responding to my dilemma! Hopefully, it's all clear sailing now!!!! Ha!
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to Camcorders