They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Question on AVCHD quality setting

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Question on AVCHD quality setting

Postby ed » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:52 pm

OK, I completed a 90 minute DVD of our first grandson's year shot on my Panasonic GS400 MiniDV camcorder (love this camcorder so much, think you had one too Mom). Anyway, had the firewire issues with my laptop not having it as noted in other topics here, but fired up my old Win 95 PC and was able to pull the video off and put it on a portable HD. Just bought a refurbished Canon Vixia HF R700, and I'm not sure what video setting is best. I'll be burning to DVD, but may get a Blue Ray burner later this year. Should I set AVHCD at 60P, MXP, or LP for editing in Elements 15 and burning to DVD? I'd like quality over length but I'm concerned about the editing and burning.

Thanks!
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Question on AVCHD quality setting

Postby sidd finch » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:08 pm

I think edit in its native format then output to desired format. Keeps the resolution at its best. I know in PPro that when you drag the vido to the time line the editing program will ask if you want to keep the project setting or create the original video setting. I always let the program change to the original setting.

It also depends on how much motion is in the video 30 fps for quality on output, 60 fps for motion.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:53 pm

A DVD is a DVD. It's 720x480 (standard resolution) no matter what resolution your original video is.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ed » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:31 am

Thanks guys. Kind of what I figured to shoot in the best quality. You're right Steve, but I may get a Blu-Ray burner, although DVD is fine me personally.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Camcorders