They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Canon VIXIA HF G10 Camcorder

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Canon VIXIA HF G10 Camcorder

Postby IndyMike » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:32 pm

I have a question about the different shooting modes. I have read some on it but have never got a good answer on it. It's dealing with interlace and progressive scan. I have seen where using 30p on it Canon puts it in a interlace container. If it does do I need to de-interlace it? I was reading on a post here today where a lady had a wedding video done with mts and mov files. She was not happy with the way the DVD look. Someone said that the way Canon does the 30PE was something like both fields are wrote at the same time. So I would take it's like a progressive scan file. Today I sent down and put the camera in all the modes and shoot about 15 seconds of video in each one. I even made folders on my hard drive and mane the 60i, 30p, 24P and 24pe and copy the right file in to the folder for that mode. I then loaded each file in to the program called Media info. I wrote down what I thing I needed here it is.

60i Format settings ReFrames: 2 frames.Frame rate 29.97
Scan type interlace. Scan order Top Field first.

30P Media info says the same has the 60i

24P Format settings ReFrames: 2 frames Frame rate 23.976
Scan type Progressive

Now one if the things that get me is the 24PE says the
same thing has the 60i and the 30P I don't get the frame rate
Saying 29.970

I shoot in 30P about all the time because I post on Vimeo and YouTube and stream to the TV with DNLA. The 24P I might play with at time but don't get that much in to the cinema look that much yet. I have a Canon 70D now to I shoot at 30P on it and Media Info says the mov files are progressive scan. I use Power Director 12 some but got Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 in the spring and been learning it and using it. I have been rendering my files out has 1080P 30fps. I'm I doing right ? The video I posted in share videos called Indianapolis Full Of Family Fun was shoot some on the Canon VIXIA and stuff I shoot in Sept on was done with the 70D DSLR. I know I will still be using both camera.
i7860 8 GB of ram 1TB OS drive, 1TB storage drive and 2 USB back up drives. Canon Camera's Canon VIXIA HF G10 and Canon 70D
IndyMike

Re: Canon VIXIA HF G10 Camcorder

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:13 pm

Well, a lot depends on what program you're editing your video in and which version of the program (and, in some cases, how that program is set up to handle frame blending).

The simplest answer is that most modern video programs, if your project is set up to match your video specs (which Premiere Elements 12 does automatically), will automatically take care of your interlacing/deinterlacing issue. In fact, if you try to set the interlacing field options or deinterlacing manually, it can make your video look worse.

So you can shoot in 30p or you can shoot in 60i and if you output an MP4 (which is progressive scan) from either, you should get pretty much the same results.

24p can have a different texture. A little more filmic. But that's a subtle distinction.

My suggestion would be to shoot samples of each of these video formats and toss them all into a project (or separate projects) -- then output an MP4 or AVCHD video and see what you think of the results.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Kent Frost » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:18 am

I find that it mostly rests on personal preference if you have the capability of your choosing. Most televisions and computer monitors can play 24/30/60 anyway, so whichever way you decide to go pretty much anyone will be able to watch it just fine. I've personally come to love 24p. Not only does it mimic film, as Steve mentioned, but it also allows for good slow-motion opportunities. For example, one of the cameras I shoot with is a GoPro HD Hero 3, which can shoot 120fps when using the 720p resolution. When slowed down, the footage appears slightly slower when played back at 24p than it does at 30p, which is a 20% vs 25% playback speed, respectively. It's not a huge distinction, but I can tell. Whatever you pick, though, just be sure to stick with it throughout your project.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby IndyMike » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:49 am

Thanks Steve and Kent for the reply. I think if I was use both cameras to do a multicamera shoot I will use the 24 fps. Because on the G10 on 24P Media Info says scan type progressive. I can get nice low light shoots taking the iris to 1/8 and if I get some noise I can use Neat video to clean it up. I like shooting with the 70D and using the A-II. Big files using it but a lot more data. I do have two GoPro HD. but they are the first gen. I need to update one of them to a Hero 3 or 3+ or see what they bring out at the end of the year.

Oh I will be doing my editing now using Premiere Pro CS6.
i7860 8 GB of ram 1TB OS drive, 1TB storage drive and 2 USB back up drives. Canon Camera's Canon VIXIA HF G10 and Canon 70D
IndyMike

Return to Camcorders