They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Videocams and photocams

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Re: Videocams and photocams

Postby Peru » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:13 am

momoffduty wrote:
Francesco Carzedda wrote:Yes, Peru, mine is a literary English (= from the books)
:conf:

I think Peru was poking fun at Steve. :-D Very good English Francesco!

Yes.
I have to be more careful. I should have realized that it could be easily misunderstood.
Peru

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:18 am

No problem at all, Peru :whew:
I thought you appreciated my consideration (realistic consideration).
Nice emoticon :-)
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:57 am

Thanks, Cheryl,
some interesting information: Canon T4i 650D has autofocus, which 600d has not.
Further, Canon T4i 650D supports remote control both for starting and stopping shoting and focusing... but it requires two remote controls...

This video is very clear, but also the comments, so it is not strictly necessary to watch it completely.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X97RedduxsU[/youtube]
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:06 am

The auto focusing or track focusing does a fair job with person sitting relatively still or moving slowly. With moving people or objects it does a continual hunt & focus. I shoot in manual focusing now. Outside it is hard to see the screen in the sun and even in inside it takes too long to enlarge the view on the screen. This is how I focus: In photo mode I set my spot focus and adjust the camera settings if needed for exposure. The next step I switch the lens from AF to MF careful not to move the focus ring and then switch the camera in Movie mode.

At a Christmas party last year I followed Santa as he moved around the room using the track focusing. The focusing still had problems tracking the high contrast of a guy in a red suit against white walls.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:19 am

Cheryl, just for you they should create Santa Tracking :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:24 am

I totally agree, Cheryl, I too have often to change to manual focus in my videocam.
In particular, I had to shot twice a moon timelapse because of the autofocus distorting it.
Changing focus manually is something fascinating for me, I sometimes use shots like this in my videos.

A remote control for focusing may solve the problem of shaking due to my finges pressing on the button on the display.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69ydYozj7eQ[/youtube]
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Cheryl, just for you they should create Santa Tracking :)

:hyst:

Francesco, the sample you posted had greater out of focus & infocus. What I experienced with Santa was slightly out of focus and then in focus. It was just enough to be annoying. Of course others that are non video people it seemed not to matter that much.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:35 am

Steve,

Does the Canon 5D have automatic focus in video mode?
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:15 am

I don't know much about DSLRs, Paz. Maybe someone else can answer your question.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:03 am

Patrice, as far as I know autofocusing in video mode is only "possible" in Canon 5d mark II:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoZCpYG2KcM[/youtube]

Please consider that I have just skimmed the video.

On the other side, I agree with Cheryl: autofocus in video ahooting is disorienting, because the object may go in and out of focus depending on the area of the sensor.
I have a fantastic clip with a boat sailing in front of a high island which trembles while the focus switches from the boat to the island :pull: .
A photographer friend suggests that one keeps the camera by the lens and keep revolving the focus gear while shooting if not using the tripod.
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:14 am

... if you shot with the tripod, Aputure V-Control seems to be a useful tool:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc_HgRs33wI[/youtube]

Francesco
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:42 pm

Francesco,

Thank you for sharing these two videos!

I've just checked and my Canon 7D does have the Live Mode focusing option and the AF ON button in the same location as the camera in the first video. In the beginning when I began to fall in love with making videos I wanted my camera to follow my subject(s) (squirrels) and keep them in focus. If I had known about this it is possible I might have never bought a camcorder, lol !

I had no idea it was possible to start and stop filming and adjust focus via a gadget like the one in the second video. That could make using my DSLR much easier. I simply can't see well enough to focus the camera anymore.

P
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:31 am

Ciao Patrice,

you can rely on the maximum depth of field not to lose the focus on your subject, especially when you shoot with a strong light.

For Canon 600d this is the way to manage the values:

http://www.4elementi.info/prova/dof_and_hyperfocal_focusing.pdf

I must add that it is better (according to what I have read ::C ) not to modify the time of shoot value (Tv in Canon 600d), but just to increase the f-stop value (Av in Canon 600d).
Time value should be double the number fps you're shooting.
The more natural fps number (if I'm right, the closest to our natural perception is 25 fps, so shooting time should be fixed at 50), but f-stop can be increased up to the maximum.

It is funny and interesting to explore this way, I think... what you shoot is never the same :drunken:
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:04 pm

The rule of the shutter speed set at double the frames-per-second value is very generic.

A good article on Vimeo with videos explains how "A fast shutter speed (...) will produce a series of crisp frames that have a choppy look when played back. A slow shutter speed (...), on the other hand, will produce a series of slightly blurred frames that have a smoother look when played back".

https://vimeo.com/blog/post/frame-rate-vs-shutter-speed-setting-the-record-str

I hope it might help

Francesco
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

My first experiment with shutter speed

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:57 am

I have made my first experiment on shooting style modifying the shutter speed and - consequently - f-stop and Iso to reach the right light exposition suggested by the camera, all manually.

Honestly I don't see relevant differences, I think I have to change subject (perhaps a closer one).

This is shutter speed 50, f/20, iso 100 :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_DmlcV76o0[/youtube]

This is shutter speed 500, f/20, iso 800 :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKh6yXoQZOw[/youtube]

This is shutter speed 1000, f/20, iso 1600 :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDGlflugamY[/youtube]
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Camcorders