They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Audio Static

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Audio Static

Postby momoffduty » Wed May 08, 2013 2:24 pm

I recorded a one hour Commencement and there is one 5 min. clip that the audio has static. Recorded with an HV30 and Canon DM-50 hot shoe mic. All the other clips before and after are fine. I did double check the recording in camera and the clip has static so it isn't a capture problem.

During some parts of the Commencement when the cam is turned off, I have it resting on my leg on a monopod. The base of the camcorder is on my leg and the hot shoe mic is only touching the cam. Could the mic have lost connection? Bad tape section? If it is the connection, what I can do to prevent this...double check the connection before recording? Should I clean the connections on the cam & mic before an event? And if so..how to do that safely?

Thanks.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Audio Static

Postby momoffduty » Wed May 08, 2013 4:55 pm

In PrPro I added the Denoiser & the Dehummer and it helped a little. With audio I have no clue what I am doing just playing with the effects & sliders. Anyone with PrPro available to give it go with a short segment of the audio? Thanks.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Wed May 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Denoiser is used to remove hiss. Dehummer is used to remove hum. neither of those is particularly suited to removing static. Although Denoiser might help some. Have you tried the Decrackler?

The audio effects in Premiere Pro are rudimentary. Normally, the problem audio track would be processed in Audition which has good tools. Since you don't have Audition, you could export the audio track and run it through Audacity using the noise removal effect. That will let you sample a section to define the noise, then apply the removal to the whole clip.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Thu May 09, 2013 8:57 am

Bob wrote:The audio effects in Premiere Pro are rudimentary. .

I had a feeling that was the case. Thanks for the suggestion. I did get a generous offer of help. :-D So will go that route.

Thanks,
Cheryl
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to Camcorders