They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Editing possible on 8cm DVD-RW files from Sony HPUX-10

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Editing possible on 8cm DVD-RW files from Sony HPUX-10

Postby ChancyRat » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Happy any holidays and new year to all.
For the first time, I have video taped on 8cm DVD-RW disks on my Sony HPUX-10.
(Usually I record on the stick.)
Could someone let me know (I've searched high and low through the manual):
- I *can* download these files from the disk to my computer (off the camcorder), correct?
- But, do I need to "finalize" the disk before downloading the files?
- Once downloaded, they can be edited in Premiere Elements 7 (just like any file downloaded from the stick)?

It might appear that the easy answer is for me to try this, but the problem is that the videotaping was done by my mother for personal reasons, and I'm not privy to seeing the videos or working with them. I also don't have cables with me to try on a test disk.

I need to leave the disks with my mother, without downloading them to the computer first. I'm just worried that in the future someone will need to get them on a computer, and edit them. I'm worried that neither of these will be possible. I don't know whether to finalize them now (before anyone has downloaded the files off the camcorder), or whether I should finalize the disks now, and trust that in the future someone (me hopefully) will be able to put the disks back in to the camcorder and download the files from the camera that way.

Then, I'm worried once on the computer, they need to be edited - is that possible on files downloaded from a disk? Possible on files that have been "finalized"? Or should the files be "unfinalized" when downloaded?

This is kind of an historal archive that I'm trying to make sure doesn't get screwed up. Thanks
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Editing possible on 8cm DVD-RW files from Sony HPUX-10

Postby Paul LS » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:01 am

Do you mean the Sony HDR UX-10 ??? There is an online manual here:
http://www.manualowl.com/m/Sony/HDR-UX10/Manual/2108

You generally need to finalize the disk in the camcorder before downloading the video files. You can probably download Sony Picture Motion Browser that will allow you to get the video files off the disks. The link below may be useful.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-hom ... manualsTab
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Editing possible on 8cm DVD-RW files from Sony HPUX-10

Postby ChancyRat » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks, I will finalize the videos!
I do have the manual, yes, that's it, and it does say:
- finalize the video (but nothing in relation to whether one must to so before editing videos on the computer)
- It says one can *VIEW* them on the computer (in MPB, which I have), but again no reference to conditions that apply to editing using other s/w.
- it says one can play the DVD on computers with the right DVD player, and that one cannot copy them off the DVD to the computer, so I know this tells me I must download them from the camcorder if editing is the end goal. (Which is going to be hard since I can't download them if I give them to my mom. :hyst: :conf:

So in terms of the obstacles here, you've saved the day once again in terms of the first issue of finalizing.

ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Camcorders