They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

JVC HM30BU

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

JVC HM30BU

Postby bhstech » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:41 pm

Got this camera about 8 months ago for a price I couldn't refuse. I was using a Centon SD/HC 32 gig card, shot some video, and uploaded the result to several different computers using Premiere Elements 9 without a hitch. Got a new Centon, 64 gig SD/xc card last week. I used it the other day to shoot some video and all seemed fine. I can see the video I took playback on the camera and yes, when I installed the new card I did format it. Today I went to upload the video I shot with the new 64gig and PRE 9 nor a card reader or Everio browers or anything will read the card. They all tell me to format the card(which of course will delete what I shot). How can I down load my video to something? The camera and card readers and PRE 9 all see the video shot on the 32 gig just fine but when I switch out to the 64 gig it won't read. What gives. Both are class 10 SD cards and the camera is settings are the same.
bhstech
New User
New User

Re: JVC HM30BU

Postby Bob » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:29 pm

What camera are you using and what operating system does your computer use?

Your 32GB card is SDHC while your 64GB card is SDXC. These use two different file systems -- FAT32 for the 32GB and exFAT for the 64GB. If your camera is newer, it may recognize the SDXC card and reformat with exFAT. Otherwise, it probably reformatted with FAT32 which, for technical reasons, can potentially cause performance and other problems. Windows 7 includes support for exFAT, Windows XP needs the exFAT driver update package (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=955704). Earlier versions of Windows do not support it. Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.5 and later should also support it. There could also be an incompatiblity with your card reader.
Bob

Re: JVC HM30BU

Postby bhstech » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks. Downloading the exFAT worked and I was able to load the video. However, a new problem, or actually a repeat of an old one. The video in Premiere 9 is very 'jerky' or stops and starts. I shot it and other stuff with the JVC using the LS setting or High Def 1280c 720 pixels. Should I switch to standard def?
bhstech
New User
New User

Return to Camcorders