They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

discoloring when capturing

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

discoloring when capturing

Postby Draco_DK » Mon May 07, 2012 3:48 am

I started a thread about Grass Valley ADVC110 and transferring old Video8 tapes to my mac through Premiere Pro, and this works fine.

Now i got some problems with the hardware.

I use the ADVC110 and Canon G20 camcorder, conneted via composite (phono), there where a lot of static and poor sound, but since the tapes are 20 years, i thougt this was the quality.

A dealer lent me at Sony DCR-TRV240e for an hour, just too see if there where difference between the Canon and the Sony, when using composite though ADVC 110. What a difference, the 99% of the static was gone and now i could hear the words when people talk.

After some troubleshooting, the problem i that the track adjustments on the tape (sound/picture) doesn't match the Canon G20, but fits the Sony better.

I bought a Sony DCR-TRV235e, but i could not get it to play the video8 tapes thougt composite so i use the D-link (firewire) and get the same quality as the TRV240e via composite.

Now the problem, is that on the frames captured with the sony, i get a discolor in right side of the frame. Peru mentioned that this sometimes happens and can be cropped out.

Does anyone know why, the frame on the G20 filles the whole frame with color, but when using the Sony i must crop the right side?
Draco_DK
New User
New User

Re: discoloring when capturing

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon May 07, 2012 6:49 am

This sometimes happens when you shoot your video with one camcorder and then capture it with another. Particular if the original tapes are analog 8 mm rather than Digital8.

It could also be related to the age of the tapes.

ADVC110 has some correction software built into it that could be fixing these issues.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon May 07, 2012 10:20 am

You probably already realize this, but it's worth mentioning...
You don't have to crop the right side and leave a blank vertical space there; you can scale the whole clip up a little larger. You'll lose a little around the outside, but in most cases it probably won't be an issue and you'll fill the frame.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Draco_DK » Wed May 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Sorry for the late repky..

Steve => When trying the TRV240e via composite the same discoloring is on the recorded and i can't get the TRV235e to output though composite, but since the TRV240e had the same discoloring as the TRV235e, i don't think the ADVC110 can correct it better.

Dave => My knowlegede with Premier Pro is limited to the caputing right now, because it's the importent thing at the moment, so im pleased that you wrote it anyway

Thanks for your help, i keep transfering the taps though the FW/DV link..
Draco_DK
New User
New User

Return to Camcorders