They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

remote camera operation

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

remote camera operation

Postby Hounsome » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:13 am

Hi again..you guys were so helpful with my last problem I thought I would come back and ask you for some more advice.

We have three camcorders available and a PC and a laptop (both using Windows 7 and both with a fair amount of processing power) The camcorders are a Panasonic HDC HS700, a Canon Legria HFM41 and a Canon HS 30 IS and I would like to set up a remote linkage so that i can control one of the cameras remotely from one of the computers so that I can set the camera up in the garden and operate it from indoors to film the birds and wildlife from close-quarters without disturbing them.

The laptop is a wireless system using a router - the pc uses the same router but is hard-wired.

Budget is a consideration...I can't afford high-end gear - and limited technical know-how is also a limiting factor.

I would also be very interested to know if I could use remote technology like that to use the laptop and a camera away from home...for example at a Badger sett in the forest...to set up the camera near the target but operate it from a reasonable distance away.

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Doug
Hounsome
New User
New User

Re: remote camera operation

Postby sidd finch » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:39 pm

I am not sure about video, but I know Canon has something for still cameras that allows you to operate them from your PC. It bypasses the on/off and lets you take pictures through the computer. I am not sure if it does this by wireless. If you are not able to run your cameras through the computer you might check out an HD webcam

http://www.everythingusb.com/microsoft- ... 20300.html
You'll need a robust PC to make use of this level of video. While the webcam does support 1080p, you will need at least quad-core CPU running at 3Ghz or faster with 4GB RAM to handle the load.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Hounsome » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:55 am

Thanks Sidd,

My PC is a quad-core and it has all sorts of whistles and bells so it would probably deal with that okay...but I was hoping to use one of our existing cameras. If I could connect either wired or wirelessly I would be content.

I thought I might be able to achieve this fairly easily but perhaps not......
Hounsome
New User
New User

Postby sidd finch » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:41 pm

You can always hook the HDMI from the camera to the laptop. would need to purchase a 50ft HDMI cable. But the issue is turning the camera on and off.

Do you have a wireless remote for the camera that would allow you to position the camera and then just turn it on and record remotely??

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Hounsome » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:26 am

Yes, Sidd,

Both the main cameras have HDMI and both have wireless remote control. The Panasonic is limited to short range and the remote sensor is at the front - so it would be no use at all in my situation - but the Canon Legria 41 has sensors front and rear so would be fine...I am sure it would work at the range I need so that sounds as though it would work fine.

Thanks for that...I will give it a go.

Cheers.
Hounsome
New User
New User

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:35 pm

I know this doesn't answer the OP's question exactly, but in case they or someone else is still looking for this kind of information, I have two JVC Everio camcorders that both have an 'Auto Record' feature. (They both have 'Time Lapse' too.)

I've set up a wooden board with bird seed and other treats, put the camcorder on a tripod, auto focused on the center of the board and left for several hours. Whenever a sensor picks up motion in the center of the view, the camcorder will come on and record up until 5 seconds after motion is no longer detected. Works great. I got some nice footage of a mother squirrel and her twin babies, and birds, including some species I had no idea were in my garden.

One of the two camcorders, the JVC Everio GZ-GX1, also comes with a remote control that can be used to zoom in or out, but it needs to be pointed at the front of the camcorder and I'm not sure of the range.

HTH,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Camcorders