They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Purple Fringing

MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive, 8 mm, High Def, brands, import / capture techniques, settings ... talk about camcorders in here.

Purple Fringing

Postby PaulC » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:49 pm

I have a Canon HF M41 camcorder and I am having a lot of problems with purple fringing. I had this problem with my previous camera, a Canon HV40, but not to the same extent. I use a kenko 2x teleconverter and I wonder if this is somehow part of the problem. Would a better quality lens like Canon's 1.7 teleconverter be better or could I reduce the effect by using one of the scene recording programs. Finally, is there any way in pre 9 to remove this fringing.
Dell XPS420 running Windows 10 Home, Core 2 Quad Q2660 processor@2.4, EVGA GeForce GT 730 2GB GDDR5 64bit , 3gb memory, 300gb and 1.5 terabyte hard drives.
PaulC

Re: Purple Fringing

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:25 am

A number of years ago (too many to mention! :lol: ) I bought a 2x teleconverter for my still camera, an Olympus OM-1. Even though the converter was made by what one might term a 'quality manufacturer' the image quality was severely degraded and I recall that fringing was also a problem. I very quickly abandoned its use and rued the money that I had wasted.

Nowadays, the ony supplementary lens that I use on my Sony video camera is Sony's own wide angle adaptor which doesn't cause any problems at all. So my suspicion is that your teleconverter is likely making the problem worse. As an aside, there has been a lot of discussion on Camcorder info about purple fringing with the Canon HF10:-

http://forum.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/arch ... 41703.html

Is there any special reason for using the teleconverter on the videos that you take?

As far as removing the fringing in PrEl, I am not a PrEl user but there is some info on fringing on the Creative Cow website, but it isn't helpful with regards to PrEl:-

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/202/878595
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby PaulC » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks for the reply John. I will check out both forums. I use the teleconverter because I use the camera mostly for taking video of birds and the 10x zoom usually will not get me close enough. My old Panasonic dv camcorder had an 18x zoom and even with a converter I never had a problem with fringing. Unfortunately its almost impossible to get a hd camcorder with a zoom greater than 12x.
Dell XPS420 running Windows 10 Home, Core 2 Quad Q2660 processor@2.4, EVGA GeForce GT 730 2GB GDDR5 64bit , 3gb memory, 300gb and 1.5 terabyte hard drives.
PaulC

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:19 am

I know that your original question was not about camcorder zoom ratios. But how does the zoom ratio of the new DSLRs stack up? I would think you could put a zoom lense on and achieve the ratio that you are looking for. Just an idea for the future.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Camcorders