They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVD player power supply circuit strange behavior

Talk about anything here.

DVD player power supply circuit strange behavior

Postby longgu » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:14 am

Hello guys, first post here, please be kind. :-D The situation is following: I have an old (~8 yrs) Cyberhome dirt cheap DVD player that worked well for the time I was using it. I bought it in 2004 from a Best Buy and was using it regularly till 2010. After we got a new DVD player, it had been lying around packed nicely and securely. I recently brought it out just to connect it to another TV and found that it doesn't power on. I opened it up and was able to isolate its power supply (the pic shows it was very easy to do so).

It works from 110 V to 240 V AC input 50-60 Hz. I have been using it in India which has 240 v AC @ 50 Hz usually. The DC out of the power supply circuit is like so +5V-GND-GND-+12V. I have assumed that the +5V was for the decoding circuit while the +12V would have been used by the player motor and maybe also the Class 1 laser.

The +5V out works fine, but the +12V doesn't. The first time I checked it showed +17V and remained steady there. When I switched off the power, it very slowly (over 10-15 mts) ramped down to nearby 0 V. Based on this, I decided to wire up a voltage divider to bring 17 to 12 on a breadboard. Before I connected the +17V to the voltage divider, I checked again to make sure and now it showed ~+12V! It was slowly ramping up and 5 mts later was at +14.30V and has been holding steady there since last 10-15 mts. Switching off the power supply doesnt slowly ramp it down but goes down to 0 V pretty fast.

What is the reason for such behavior? Obviously, something has gone poof in the power supply circuit, and I am interested to know the root cause. Some pointers will definitely help and using those I may try to debug through the board to figure out more. (I plan to wire up the input of the system to +5V-GND-GND-+12V independent of this power supply board to check the player but that's later as I don't have a +12V source handy currently. I tried with +5V and the dvd player powers on fine - but without the +12 doesn't do much apart from that).
Thanks all!
I'm sorry I can't upload my pictures because of the new permission.
UPDATE
https://i.stack.imgur.com/EMemc.jpg
longgu
New User
New User

Re: DVD player power supply circuit strange behavior

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:50 am

Check the voltage regulator ICs. In a power supply like this, the regulator establishes the voltage. Typically, there will be a 12v and a 5v regulator IC. A 17v level suggests the 12V regulator may be bad.
Bob

Return to Water Cooler