They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Win7-64 Sound Card?

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

Win7-64 Sound Card?

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon May 30, 2011 7:58 pm

I'm using Win7-64 and integrated audio. I get by, but I'd really like to find a sound card (PCI) that will work on this OS. When shopping the manufacturer's sites it seems like there's very little mention of Win7. Does anyone have any suggestions for an "under $100" sound card that does a good job and works under Win7-64? I'm not a gamer, so I don't need anything more than that.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Win7-64 Sound Card?

Postby George Tyndall » Mon May 30, 2011 9:41 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:I'm using Win7-64 and integrated audio. I get by, but I'd really like to find a sound card (PCI) that will work on this OS. When shopping the manufacturer's sites it seems like there's very little mention of Win7. Does anyone have any suggestions for an "under $100" sound card that does a good job and works under Win7-64? I'm not a gamer, so I don't need anything more than that.

Is it 7.1?

I noted when I purchased the below machine that the "Included in Price" was 7.1 with Optical Audio Out, while the both the "upgrades" were 5.1, so I stuck with the included.

I'm very happy with my choice, which I feed into the 7.1 Optical In of my Onkyo Home Theater.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chris B » Tue May 31, 2011 1:47 am

What do you need - and why? Onboard audio has come a long way. Also - Your graphics card will output audio over the HDMI link at ridiculous bitrates - and in up to 7.1 uncompressed. What extra features/fidelity do you need?

As I understood it Win Vista and 7 changed the audio architecture to such an extent that a lot of the "bells & whistles" that you got with extra cards became meaningless. It's also why there were so many diver issues with soundblaster cards. However - I can't find a link about this right now.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue May 31, 2011 3:18 am

George and Chris, it's not a matter of features or fidelity. At the moment I have little need for anything beyond stereo. There are two issues which cause me to look for a discreet sound card solution. First is the inability to get Audacity to reliably and consistantly see my integrated audio as a recording device. I've found workarounds (discussed in these forums before) that will suddenly and inexplicably stop working, leaving me wihout audio recording ability at a time when I really don't want to mess around with it. Second is a flaky line output connector that causes me to lose my right channel for no apparent reason, requiring me to pull out the computer, reinsert the plug, and hope that when I push it back in it will continue to work for a while. I've tried a different cable - it's in the jack. Nitpicking problems that for me would be worth just spending some money and putting behind me. There you have it.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats