They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New Feature Request

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

New Feature Request

Postby Wheat King » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:44 am

I've been thinking about compressed formats... as you may have guessed I am a proponent for compressed formats because I prefer not to have to capture from miniDV in real time. It my personal preference because it saves time and helps me keep organized. It's well documented that compressed formats or non-DV AVI have "issues" with most editing programs including Premiere Elements.

So... This leads me to my feature request. When downloading compressed formats into Premiere Elements, I would like to see an automated process that automatically converts compressed formats to the more edit friendly DV-AVI. This is currently the work around I use with movie clips that I capture from my digital still (the files are compressed avi's) I'm thinking the user would have the choice to do the conversion because the conversion would of course take extra time. I'm thinking that the download and convert process would still be faster than capturing real time, plus the speed of the whole process would be dependent on your processor.

The only exception to this process is quality. but to be honest I don't see that big a difference in quality between my compressed avi's (from my Canon S3) and my DV avi's (from my Canon Optura 10) The difference is mainly in the functionality of the cameras, obviously I have more video related features on the camcorder and more control over specific conditions.

Just wanted to generate some discussion on this, prior to putting a feature request in...
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats