They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Help with recording audio

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

Re: Help with recording audio

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:03 pm

Bob, What are your thoughts on the digital recorders?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:55 pm

I haven't used a digital recorder like the ones you linked to, but it looks interesting and should work for short recordings. From what I've heard, the recording tends to get out of sync with the video enough to notice for long recordings -- say approx. 20 minutes more or less. The sampling rate is CD standard, not DVD standard so the audio will be conformed when it's added to the timeline. Not a big deal.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:19 pm

The last similar items I used were Alesis ADAT hard disk recorders (4) connected directly to a Mackie mixer.
The digital recorders I've listed seem to be a logical option considering the type of project and limited funds.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:36 am

Hi Chuck,

Just to keep you & Bob updated (and also to ask questions .... hahaha), the school has agreed to dig into their "reserve" & come out with some moolah to buy some equipments. :-5

I also spent the past 5 days "shopping" & learning about all the equipments. In fact I went into a musical studio shop & the kind salesman was doing a Live recording demo for me to see. I have also learn something from him. Now, I also know roughly what an audio interface is, something which I was struggling to understand ... ](*,)

I also now understand why Chuck has been advocating going the pre-amp/mixer way instead of direct to video. In the Live demo, I heard for myself, there is a vast difference in the sound quality, like comparing heaven & hell !! :lol:

I am now thinking of getting this audio interface, it is a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB:
http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio ... fire_6_usb

It also comes with a Ableton Live software (not sure if the learning curve is steep ?):
http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR326826

With this setup, I was told that I got to get a better mic than Shure SM58.

I was thinking of getting a pair Rode NT3 but the salesman said I do not need to spent so much & he recommended me that the M-Audio Nova mic should be suffice for this setup.

Do you think I should get Rode NT3 or M-Audio Nova ?

Do you think the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB is the correct choice ?

Once again, thanks a million for your input ...
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:13 pm

Sounds like you have made some real progress Ryan :)

I would stick with the Shure mics if you ask me.
Haven't had a chance to check out the equipment yet, will try to do that later tonight.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:54 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Sounds like you have made some real progress Ryan :)

I would stick with the Shure mics if you ask me.
Haven't had a chance to check out the equipment yet, will try to do that later tonight.

Thanks Chuck.

But may I ask why you think the Shure SM58 is still better than the Rode NT3 or M-Audio Nova ?

Shure SM58 does not need phantom power. I thought mics that need phantom power gives better sound ? No ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:34 pm

The Shure SM58 is one of the best value mics available, not sure how it will work connected to the equipment you are looking at however. Could be that the other mics are better suited for the equipment you are looking at. All I am saying is that the Shure mics are good quality at an excellent price, no need to spend any more if those will work. If the salesman told you the Shure mics won't work with that equipment then I can't argue because I don't know for sure ;)

I don't suppose it's possible to rent some equipment and give it a try?
There are usually sound and lighting companies that specialize in renting out lighting and sound equipment.
Check the internet and local phone books, you can probably just rent what you need at a fraction of the cost.
The rental companies also have a wide range of equipment and lots of expertise. If you are in the Atlanta area I know of a very good company.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:10 pm

The Rode and M-Audio mics you mentioned are condenser mics. Condenser mics require a power source to work, usually phantom power from the interface or an internal battery. Condenser mics have a higher output voltage than dynamic mics like the SM58 and can get by with less amplification in the preamp. I don't know about the M-Audio mic, but Rode makes good, but pricey, mics.

Why don't you go back to the store and have them put an SM58 on that preamp and let you hear how it sounds. Then do the same with the M-Audio and the Rode. See if you can hear a difference.
Bob

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:39 pm

Thanks Chuck & Bob for your response.

Chuck - The salesman did not actually say that the Shure SM58 won't work. It is just that he demo it with M-Audio Nova. Over here in my place, no one rents this type of mic, or at least I didn't know of any shop that does that.

Bob, Please educate me, I was under the impression that a phantom power mic would be better than one that doesn't require phantom power. Is my impression wrong ? Also I cannot try the Shure mic as I haven't buy them yet. The shop demo it using M-Audio Nova

What you guys think of Ableton software ? Is the learning curve steep ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:42 pm

Condenser mics can have a greater frequency response than dynamic mics, but you can get decent mics of both types. Just getting a condenser mic is not a guarantee of quality. There are a lot of cheap condenser mics on the market that sound brittle and tinny with weak bass response. Dynamic mics are more rugged and stand up to handling and loud noises better than condenser mics which are rather delicate and sensitive. For that reason, you'll typically see dynamic mics in live performances and condenser mics in the studio. Condenser mics are also much more sensitive to pops and sibilants -- a pop filter is a must.

I'm not familiar with the Ableton software.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:12 pm

I am not familiar with the software either.

The salesman should be able to demo whatever mic you want to hear ;)

Have you checked around for any rental companies?
They will rent everything you need in a package at a very reasonable price.
Search for Sound and Lighting Equipment Rentals in your area.
The rental companies have a huge selection of equipment and also have experienced technicians.
They will be able to tell you what equipment will be best for your situation and what you will need.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:58 am

Hi Chuck,

Just to update you, I have bought the following equipments:

1) Audio Interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 FireWire
http://www.focusrite.com/products/saffi ... ire_pro_24

2) KRK Rockit 5 monitor (speaker) - one pair

3) Rode NT3 microphone - 1 pair

4) Mic stand with boom - 1 pair

5) pop filter - 1 pair

6) cables

7) Apple 15.4" macbook pro (2.53GHz, 500 GB HDD) laptop

Wish me luck ....

Thank you ....

Cheers
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:49 am

Please be sure to let us know how it all works, I'm sure everything will go just fine :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:20 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Please be sure to let us know how it all works, I'm sure everything will go just fine :)

Sure Chuck, I will.

But at the moment my house is in the mess with all those equipments. My wife is getting naggy now ....

Been trying to connect them but then issues like wrong cable type, wrong connector, wrong adapter (female instead or male), cable not long enough .... & what not is tiring & weary me off ... Hahaha

But I will soon get it up & running ... I hope ...

Thanks Chuck for your patience & guidance thus far ...

Cheers
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:42 am

Hi Chuck,

Here is the latest update.

I am lucky in the sense that I have manage to sync the video clips & audio clips. I have decided to use garageband instead of Ableton because Ableton is too intimidating & complicated for me ...

Check your PM ....

Cheers.
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Previous

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats