They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Exporting as MP3 in PrEl 7

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

Exporting as MP3 in PrEl 7

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri May 28, 2010 2:09 pm

I have a project from which I want to export just the audio (currently .wav) as MP3. I've found instructions for doing this out of PrEl 8, but they don't appear to apply to V7. Searching the help files (online) only returns results for V8 and V4. I assume this can be done in V7?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Exporting as MP3 in PrEl 7

Postby Paul LS » Fri May 28, 2010 2:49 pm

Hi Dave, well you can go File>Export>Audio. You should then be able to go into Settings, General, and select Windows Waveform and then under Audio you can select the compressor. However I dont have MP3 there... whether it is because I dont have an MP3 compressor on that computer or simply that PE7 does not export to MP3 I am not sure. Take a look and see what you have.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri May 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Not sure if you can export MP3 but you can export WAV, bring that into Audacity and convert the file to MP3 that way.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri May 28, 2010 4:16 pm

Paul LS wrote:Hi Dave, well you can go File>Export>Audio. You should then be able to go into Settings, General, and select Windows Waveform and then under Audio you can select the compressor. However I dont have MP3 there... whether it is because I dont have an MP3 compressor on that computer or simply that PE7 does not export to MP3 I am not sure. Take a look and see what you have.

Yeah, been there done that Paul. I don't have an MP3 option there, at least not that I can find.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri May 28, 2010 4:19 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Not sure if you can export MP3 but you can export WAV, bring that into Audacity and convert the file to MP3 that way.

I'm sure I can do it with a 3rd party converter but I thought that PrEl was supposed to be able to do it. I do know that the help files say that V8 has that ability. Also, I don't think Audacity will do it without a plug-in that I've never been able to get installed and working.

Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Fri May 28, 2010 6:47 pm

Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri May 28, 2010 7:22 pm

Dave, I checked version 7 and can't find a way to export MP3. There are other options.
What I have always done is export a WAV file and open that with Audacity, then save the file as a MP3 from there. It is quick, easy and cheap :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri May 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Thanks Peru. I downloaded it and will check it out.

Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri May 28, 2010 7:53 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Dave, I checked version 7 and can't find a way to export MP3. There are other options.
What I have always done is export a WAV file and open that with Audacity, then save the file as a MP3 from there. It is quick, easy and cheap :)

I actually have a couple of converters that will do the job, but I thought that V7 ought to do it. I'm surprised to find that the capability wasn't included. I just checked Audacity and sure enough, you can export straight to MP3 now. It used to be that you had to install some kind of add-on to do that in Audacity and I could never get it to work.

It's nothing I can't work around. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Dave McElderry

Postby Bill Hunt » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:22 pm

MP3's are a sub-set of MPEG Audio, and there are few NLE programs, that will compress to that format/CODEC directly.

I recommend Exporting as a PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit (the common DVD Audio setting), and then using another program to Save_As/Export to MP3. I believe that with the full MPEG add-ons, Audacity will do that. I can do it from Audition 3, so have not really explored other options. I do know that Magix offers a little program just for the production of MP3's.

I also recommend that anyone convert MP3 source files to PCM/WAV for use in an NLE, but that is a subject for another thread.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Wow Bill, you're really doing a lot of catching up! This thread's nearly a year old. I had to reread it to remind myself what it was all about. I've been usinig Audacity ever since for my MP3 needs, without issue. Thanks for your input. If you want to expound on why you suggest not using MP3s in an NLE, you may as well do it here. I'd be interested. I've never had any problems using them in PrEl. From your comments I would guess that it has to do with the same reasons that MPGs don't make a very good editing format either.

Dave McElderry

Postby Bill Hunt » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:51 pm

Dave,

Yes, I have been MIA for some time lately, but now should have a bit more "time on my hands," as soon as I finish my taxes.

For the MP3's, aside from the extreme compression, that sounds pretty bad, even to my tin-ears, the files can cause all sorts of issues. Some of those have to do with what can be included in the files - album art is a good example.

Adobe NLE's also have issues with MPEG Audio, and of course MP3 is a sub-set. These issues really manifest themselves with muxed MPEG Audio, but MP3's (even without things like the album art) cause lots of problems.

My personal observations lead me to believe that about 60% of MP3's cause some problem for either PrE, or PrPro. I do not use MP3's, with the exception of tiny SFX files, but my normal workflow is to just convert MP3's to PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, and Import those. That will not restore the fidelity, which is lost forever, but will keep the NLE from having any issues, as I have found PCM/WAV files w/ above specs. to work 100% of the time for me.

In working with others' problems (where most of my MP3 impressions come from), I have yet to encounter a situation, where converting the MP3 to PCM/WAV did not work.

Most of the issues experienced with MP3's are with Import (that's usually where things like the album art gets in the way), drop-outs of Audio and the inability to Export the Audio from the Timeline, or a failure to Transcode a Timeline for DVD/BD authoring. I have seen these issues for PrE, PrPro and Encore, and always, PCM/WAV has worked.

Now, I cannot tell you WHAT there is about MP3's, that give Adobe programs fits, but there is something in their encoding, even if one is not dealing with one with that other "stuff" inside - maybe there IS "stuff," but just not something obvious, like album art.

I've worked on enough troubleshooting projects, involving MP3's, that I did this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/771990?tstart=30 though I may have linked to it above?

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:48 pm

Bill, I find nothing to argue with here, and appreciate your comments. As a former audiophile I do know the downfalls of MP3s. My ears aren't what they used to be, but it doesn't take great ears to know that as an audio delivery format MP3 leaves much to be desired. Sometimes there are just no other alternatives though. As a case in point, I'm just finishing an extended project in which I needed free, royalty-free music and I found just what I needed in MP3s. For this project they worked just fine. I have 8 of them in the project and have had no issues using them in PrEl 7. And here's where our experiences differ...although they aren't the preferred format, I've never had a single one of the issues you describe, and I've been using MP3s in PrEl (versions 2 and 7) for over 6 years. That's why your own experience has me scratching my head. Odd. Of course I've seen quite a few times when someone had issues with the program that never were identified, when most of us never see those problems. And I've had some glitches over the years that I've never heard others mention that I've just learned to work around.

Dave McElderry

Postby Bill Hunt » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:08 pm

Most of my observations come from others, who have had the issues. Cannot recall of one, where the conversion did not rectify that issue.

Based on those observations (over the years, probably in the low 100's), I just convert. Were there not so very many such posts, I'd probably dismiss it, but as the solution is always the same, and with the same results, I just can't. Only wish that I had a $1.00 for every time that I heard, "Wow! That fixed it. Thanks."

Now, I do use tiny SFX files, that are often in MP3 format, and to date, none has caused an issue for me, but should any do so, I stand ready to just convert to PCM/WAV.

I am glad that you've never had an issue. One PrPro frequent contributor states the same - no issues ever, and I know that he's no fan of the MP3 compression, based on many disparaging posts on the general format.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats