They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Need help finding sound card

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

Need help finding sound card

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:00 am

I have a Dell XPS with Realtek integrated audio, running Win7-64. My audio needs are minimal, and I'm actually satisfied with it except for one thing... I have the classic "isn't recognized by Audacity" problem. Recently I purchased a Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme SB1040 PCIe because I thought it would solve this problem. Although this card has been around for years, Creative claimed to have updated the drivers and software to work with all current operating systems. You have to download from their website. Well, it does work with Win7-64, sort of. It's recognized and Windows installs the driver automatically. It then makes sound. I had not intended to install the additional full-featured software because I have no need for the features it provides. However, I discovered that the microphone input shares duty as a standard line-in jack, and it defaults to being line-in. It doesn't switch automatically, you have to change it to a mic input through the software. But I found that the software causes system instability (BSOD errors), and that the sound card also makes unacceptable popping and clicking sounds. FAQs regarding this are all aimed towards gamers, and don't apply. I sent it back.

So I'm still looking for a basic soundcard that will work with Audacity. When I go looking I'm amazed at the scarcity of new basic sound cards that would have original Win7-64 support. I'm guessing that this is because of the popularity of integrated audio. Here are my "needs."

Works with Win7-64.
Works with Audacity. It would be nice if it also was recognized by, and works with, PrEl 7's narration function.
Basic stereo is all I need, but if it's a surround card that's okay.
I would prefer PCIe, but if it's standard PCI I do have one open slot.
Mic jack that preferably is a dedicated one rather than shared, but the important thing is that it works.
Price of $75 or less.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who knows of a card that fits my needs. Thanks!
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Need help finding sound card

Postby Bob » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Hmm, I've got integrated Realtek audio and it works fine with Audacity. I'm also using Windows 7 - 64 bit. The Audacity site recommends using the Beta 1.3 version with Win 7. (http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Windows_7_OS) Is that what you are using?
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:25 pm

Not using the beta Bob. I should have been clearer. I can record sound coming through the integrated audio with Audacity (recording off of the Internet, for example), but it doesn't recognize the microphone input or line input. And PrEl 7 doesn't seem to recognize the mic input for the narration function either. This was also the case with Vista 32 before I upgraded to Win7. At one time I thought that I had found a setting somewhere to solve this, but after spending hours the other day I gave up and decided to just purchase a sound card. If you think the beta will make a difference I'll gladly install it.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:52 pm

The docs say the beta works better on Win 7, so that's what I installed. I have the latest Realtek drivers and line in, mike, and stereo mix are enabled. What are your Audacity audio preferences?

The mike didn't work in Premiere Elements until I went into the ASIO settings dialog and changed the default selection.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:22 pm

Okay! Well when I installed Audacity my keyboard quit working. Just kidding. My keyboard quit working when I accidently pulled the plug loose while plugging in the mic. :)

But the good news is that it's working! I first checked the Realtek drivers. They were up to date. Then I uninstalled the "old" Audacity and installed the beta. It not only works on the back panel mic input, but the front one too, which I've never been able to get to work. I also tried PrEl, and the narration function works there too! I didn't even make any changes in the audio settings, nor the PrEl settings, so go figure. I suspect that during all of my messing around a few days ago trying to get this to work that I did change some things in my audio settings then that made the difference. I just didn't know it at the time since I still couldn't get Audacity to work.

My only issue now is background noise while recording. I get this in both Audacity and PrEl. It's kind of a pulsing white noise, about twice a second. I suspect this one is due to the wireless mic that I'm using. I used it with my camcorder for interviews about 6 weeks ago and it worked beautifully, very quiet and great quality. So I suspect that there may be interference from the computer microprocessor. I've never (successfully) used it at the computer before. I'll bet if I get a wired mic it will solve the noise problem. Any suggestions for a wired mic? Do I need a powered one?

Many thanks Bob! You put an end to my misery and saved me money in the process. I'm in your debt.

Dave McElderry

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:10 am

Audacity is pretty good at removing background noise.

When recording capture a couple of seconds of 'background noise only' then use that as the sample to remove the background noise.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:44 am

Glad to hear that it's working!!

I would expect that the noise with the wireless mic probably is from the computer, those put out quite a bit of RF, and a wired mic will most likely solve the noise problem. If you want to use the mic jack on the pc, don't get a powered mic. Get a mic designed for use with a computer. Those are typically dynamic mics, don't require power, and have a high signal output voltage.

You won't be able to use a professional mic directly with the pc jack. Even if you could find an adapter to convert the mic connection to miniplug, the signal voltage is too low, the impedance probably won't match, and the jack is not designed to supply power to a powered mic. If you want a professional mic you'll need a pc interface/preamp.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:19 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Audacity is pretty good at removing background noise. When recording capture a couple of seconds of 'background noise only' then use that as the sample to remove the background noise.

Hopefully the use of a wired mic will solve the problem and it won't become necessary to do that, but I'll surely keep it in mind John.

Bob wrote:Get a mic designed for use with a computer. Those are typically dynamic mics, don't require power, and have a high signal output voltage. You won't be able to use a professional mic directly with the pc jack. Even if you could find an adapter to convert the mic connection to miniplug, the signal voltage is too low, the impedance probably won't match, and the jack is not designed to supply power to a powered mic. If you want a professional mic you'll need a pc interface/preamp.

Good info. An impedance spec is not something that's normally found for computer mics. I have a pair of pro mics and a small sound board that I've used before for serious narration recording to tape, but for lesser projects a quick plug-in solution would be nice. I'm thinking of ordering this one. It's a dynamic mic with an impedance of 500 ohms. That's considered low Z, which I think is what the computer mic input would be. Even though it's inexpensive (still a cheap microphone), I'm hoping it might be a little above a standard computer mic, carrying the Audio-Technica name. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT ... 002HJBJPM/

Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:04 pm

That's inexpensive enough that it would be worth the try. If you decide to give it a go let us know how it worked out.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Will do Bob. Thanks again.

Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:01 pm

Got the Audio-Technica mic. If I didn't know what little I paid for it, I would have guessed it to be a much more expensive mic (to feel and look at). It has a very long cord, a 1/8 to 1/4 plug adapter, a cheap piece of plastic that serves as a tabletop stand, and even has an on/off switch built in that doesn't feel cheap. There's no case - it just comes in throw-away packaging, but I didn't expect anything more.

I plugged it into the front panel mic jack and made a test recording. Big disappointment. I got just as much background noise as before. Then I plugged it into the rear jack and made another test recording. This time there was no significant noise. Apparently the culprit is the front jack. The wiring leading from the rear to the front must not be well shielded, or well engineered. Although I don't want to crawl around on the floor finding the right jack on the rear panel each time I need to use it, at least I don't need it very often.

The sound quality was okay. Not dramatically great, but certainly worth the $16 I paid for it. I'm satisfied. And if I really need a high quality recording I can fall back on my pro Shures and record to tape.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Dave McElderry

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats