They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Editing Length of Audio

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

Re: Editing Length of Audio

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:11 pm

Pressing Delete, or selecting the scissors should remove the selected area.
Hard to say what the problem is Chuck. What version of Audacity did you download and are you on Windows XP?

Maybe if you explain what you are doing from the beginning, what type of file you are opening in Audacity and how you are doing that, step by step. Maybe I can see something in your workflow that is a potential problem.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Carr » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:09 pm

Chuck,

Thanks for responding so quickly! I was just trying to learn how to use Audacity with MP3 versions of M4A files that I downloaded from iTunes. The tutorials on YouTube were clear and logical, but when I tried to delete parts of the audio, they wouldn't go away. I have given up on Audacity and have imported the four MPs songs into PREL 7.0 and tried to edit them there - with very frustrationg results. ( I had very little trouble editing audio clips in PREL 5.0 and used keyframes extensively. Nothing appears to be working in PREL 7.0.

I start off my video with pictures of the family and a Title, "Alaskan Adventure". I want the song "North to Alaska" by Johnny Horton to play at about 50% of the normal volume and then fade out as I approach my first video clip with sound. I placed the cursor at the beginning of the song clip in Timeline where I want to reduce the volume and opened Sound Mixer. I reduced the volume by about 15% and then returned to the starting point of the song and hit Play. There was no change in volume. I then highlighted the audio clip and returned to the start of the clip, then right clicked on properties. The volume and balance controls appeared in the upper right hand of the desktop. I selected volume and reduced the volume by about 15%. Again, when I went to the start point and played the song, there was no change. I'm sure that I am making a mistake in my procedures, but don't know what it is. All recommendations greatfully received. (By the way, I opened up HELP and searched for Audio Volume. The directions wre clear, but didn't work.

Frustrated in Toronto,

Chuck carr
Computer: HP Pavilion Elite, 64 bit, AMD Phenom X, 910 Processor 2.6 Mhz. RAM = 8 Gb.
Chuck Carr

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:41 pm

Chuck, To change the song volume in Premiere Elements you need to adjust the Volume Property.
Open the Properties panel for the music clip and you can adjust the audio volume for that clip there.

Don't know why Audacity isn't working for you, sorry you gave up on it.
It is a great audio tool and amazing what it can do for free.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Carr » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:04 pm

Chuck,

Thanks! Using properties worked like a charm. Instead of fading out, I split the clip and dragged it to the right of the video clip with sound. We're back in business!

Thanks again!

Les frustrated in Toronto,

Chuck carr

PS What is the best way to "loop" an audio file?
Computer: HP Pavilion Elite, 64 bit, AMD Phenom X, 910 Processor 2.6 Mhz. RAM = 8 Gb.
Chuck Carr

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:00 pm

Glad things are looking up for you. Hopefully we can revisit Audacity sometime in the future.

As far as the looping goes.
The only way you can loop a file in Premiere Elements is to just put it on the timeline over and over again for the desired length. Unless you are talking about something else that's the only way I know. Other programs will let you set a clip to looping and it will just repeat over and over again. There is no option like that in Premiere Elements.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:51 am

... It plays very clearly, however, when I highlight a selection and click on the scissors (CUT) nothing happens and all the drop down menus are greyed out. What am I doing wrong?

Regarding Audacity: It sounds like you pressed pause instead of stop. If you play the track and press pause, you can make a selection but the menu and keyboard shortcuts for trimming and deleting are not available -- the menu items are grayed out and the keyboard shortcuts are disabled. If you press stop, they are available.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:10 am

Excellent point Bob, good thinking :TU:

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Carr » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:20 am

Bob,

You're right! I pressed pause. I will return and use stop instead. Thanks, Chuck

PS I have great difficulty locating the songs that I want to open in Audacity. Would you know where they should be stored? I used Users/public/... and only the original songs that came with iTunes showed up. None of the MP3 conversions appeared in the list.
Chuck Carr

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:00 pm

You set the location in the iTunes Preferences. Go to Edit/Preferences and on the Advanced Tab. There you will find the location of the Media Folder and if you want iTunes to add to that folder on import (checked or not).

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Unifying Sound Level in a Track

Postby Chuck Carr » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:11 pm

As I said earlier, I am a novice at using audio, but thanks to the recommendations that I have received, I am progressing well. One problem that I am experiencing is variations in sound volume as I play the project. (I have fiddled with the volume using "properties" and thought that I was adjusting the volume of the whole audio, not just the part I was listening to.) Is there a way of setting the volume level for the whole audio song that I am using?

Best regards,

Chuck Carr in Toronto
Chuck Carr

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:08 pm

Hi Chuck,
Considering that most clips audio varies it would be harder to control all in one big chunk.
You could make the whole thing louder or softer but not even out all of the volume.

You can export the entire audio of your project, but wait till after you are done.
If you export the entire audio portion as a WAV file you can then add the new single WAV file audio clip to your project replacing your original audio. Then add the Normalize audio effect, that will even out the audio but still may leave parts too loud or too quiet.

Audio is a very precise aspect of the video editing process, very time consuming it not done correctly during recording. Your best bet it to go one clip at a time and adjust the volume for each one. Set your speakers at a good level and then do not touch the speaker volume, adjust the clip volume and make them all near the same level.
That's what I do for 90% of the wedding videos we do, it's quite a job but it's worth it.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Thank You - Editing Length of Audio

Postby Chuck Carr » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:19 pm

Chuck, Steve and Bob,

Thank you so much for your help with my problems in PREL 7.0! The project is now completed and DVDs made for our daughters as stocking presents.

I did not reply earlier becuase I had not checked off "notify me ...", so was unaware of your responses. It might be better to have the "Notify me" as defaulted to ON, rather than having to check it. I think that most people who seek advice want to know if there is a reply.

Merry Christmas from Toronto!

Chuck Carr
Chuck Carr

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:11 pm

Chuck Carr wrote:I did not reply earlier becuase I had not checked off "notify me ...", so was unaware of your responses. It might be better to have the "Notify me" as defaulted to ON, rather than having to check it. I think that most people who seek advice want to know if there is a reply.

Good point Chuck :TU:

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:21 pm

Great to hear your success story! Merry Christmas, Chuck!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:58 pm

Chuck Carr wrote: I had not checked off "notify me ...", so was unaware of your responses. It might be better to have the "Notify me" as defaulted to ON, rather than having to check it. I think that most people who seek advice want to know if there is a reply.Chuck Carr

Besides just getting responses to your questions .. I figure any thread I was interested enough to participate in, I'd probably like to know about any other comments folks might have.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

PreviousNext

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats