They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

method to convert Sony m2ts?

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

method to convert Sony m2ts?

Postby ChancyRat » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:36 pm

I'm very new, know almost nothing, and am struggling to convert m2ts files from my Sony Camcorder. I use PE7. ](*,)
Is the current state of things that one cannot do this? That is what I gather from various web searches.
I have only found one possible recommended solution, using iSkysoft video converter
Has anyone used this software successfuly?
My first video has .jpgs and m2ts, and titles, and was formated as m2ts.
Can I use the converter software on this combined file? Or do I have to start over and convert the original m2ts file and re-edit everything from a different format?
Thank you!
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: method to convert Sony m2ts?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:39 pm

Hi, Rat. Welcome to Muvipix!

Before we recommend a converter -- can you tell us what you're trying to convert your m2ts files to?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ChancyRat » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:47 pm

That is such a good question! And thanks for talking to me!
I'm trying to host on Smugmug, here are their formats:
http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/Video+Formats

I was able to convert to wmv format and upload to Youtube, though I don't know if that degraded the HD at all?
Smugmug does not support wmv.
I'm hoping whatever format I can convert to will retain the highest HD possible.

I hope this answered your question - I'll convert to any Smugmug format that can retain the HD?
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:35 pm

Wow! SmugMug sure makes it hard to upload a video!

From Premiere Elements I'd output an FLV file. You can do this in version 7 under the Share tab, Personal Computer output option.

As for degrading quality from hi-def -- I wouldn't worry too much about that. SmugMug, like YouTube, is likely to chew it up and spit it out in their own format anyway. But a quality FLV should still look pretty good.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ChancyRat » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:42 pm

I will give this a try! Which one is best?
8.700?

Okay, I read up and see FLV can be HD, sort of.
Is it HD quality?
Also, should I do any other modifications? There are sentences like this:

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/general-so ... i-mpg.html
...conversion [m2ts to flv] can be done with no loss in quality, you just have to use a lossless codec.
... All you can do is set the bit rate to a higher figure before conversion to get a better quality since you dont mind the file size.

I promise not to edit again. This is ouchee. ](*,)
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:17 am

Maybe it would be better to ask SmugMug these types of technical questions, since they're the one putting such challenging restrictions on the files.

Or why not experiment and see what results you get?

SmugMug is, I believe, a pretty pricey site for posting videos and photos. With so many free sites out there, it may be hard to find fellow SmugMug vets.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ChancyRat » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:39 am

I did exhaust the smugmug resources before asking here.
I hope the question has come down to a non-smugmug issue, that is what HD format can PE7 convert m2ts files to? If flv format is the option available to me - and I'm so appreciative that you told me!, can you tell me what these refer to and am I supposed to choose one specific one from the PE7 dropdown list?
I'll test it out from there...
Thanks from clueless here. :-D
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:13 am

Dont know about HD Flash export but you can also export to HD WMV and HD MPEG2 from PE7.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ChancyRat » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:23 am

I believe m2ts file do not convert to mpeg. And Smugmug, my hosting site, does not accept wmv files.
That's how Steve saved the day and identified flv files, which SmugMug accepts. I'm just not clear which of the dropdown options in PE7 I should select:
8.700?
Thanks.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:28 am

They actually do accept WMV files, just depends on the codec used. Re-read the specs on accepted formats and codecs.
M2T is actually a form of MPEG and can be converted to MPEG 2 without a problem.

Why the insistence on SmugMug? You could go with Vimeo or some other video site.
You can also down convert to SD rather than stick with HD.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ChancyRat » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:44 am

Chuck Engels wrote:They actually do accept WMV files, just depends on the codec used. Re-read the specs on accepted formats and codecs.
M2T is actually a form of MPEG and can be converted to MPEG 2 without a problem.

Why the insistence on SmugMug? You could go with Vimeo or some other video site.
You can also down convert to SD rather than stick with HD.

:-8 EEK, now I'm getting very confused. I'm sorry but I do not understand codecs etc. I read the specs but there is nothing that says, USE THIS ONE. :-k
I converted the m2ts file to mpegs - several ways - and the audio is lost. Many searches on the web indicate AVCHD does not convert (sorry if I'm using the wrong language) and there are many discouraged people asking how do I do this. I also converted to WMV but could not get SmugMug to upload it after 20 tries, so I presumed it was the wrong codec. Can you tell me what codec I have to choose if I'm going to convert to WMV, and how do I enter that option in PE7? This language of codecs and what to do with them in PE is beyond me.

Oddly, the link I included in my original post, which explored the inability to convert m2ts files, is not there now. But the recommended converter software is iSkysoft video converter. I originally asked if that software will do the trick.

Is the cut-off that MPEG is not a problem if one is willing to loose HD? I guess since I have a HD camera, and SmugMug hosts HD, I would like not to loose that option. If you are saying I can convert, please let me know the method?

As for SmugMug, I guess that is a longer discussion. I'm actually thrilled with it. If you know of sites that have unlimited space, endless customizing capability, 10 minutes video length, I would love to know them. For a non-programmer/web designer like me, their pre-customization options are critical. I also like the artistic design. And no advertising. These are probably mostly not critical for others, but for me they are.

Anyway, I'm exhausted trying to choose the right format. The question is really one of PE7 and Sony m2ts file conversion, right? Not Smugmug?
:pull:
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:12 am

What model Sony Camcorder are you using?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ChancyRat » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:17 am

Chuck Engels wrote:What model Sony Camcorder are you using?

Thank you - HDR UX10.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:36 am

I am going to ask for Paul's assistance considering that this is actually AVCHD format.
Paul, what is the best way to convert the video and keep the HD resolution for SmugMug?
I don't see why it wouldn't be able to be done with Premiere Elements. Isn't there a MOV, MPEG4 or H.264 HD format?

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:08 pm

Sorry Chancy, the link has been removed.
You can post the name of the converter but not the link.
Obviously no one here has heard of it or used it as there have been no responses.
Premiere Elements can do the conversion for you, there is no need for a 3rd party tool.
I'm sure that Paul will have a solution if you are really looking for one.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats