They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Batch process from MP3 to WAV

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

Batch process from MP3 to WAV

Postby Cinde » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:47 am

I just purchased an album from Amazon. The files downloaded in MP3 format.
Now I need to convert them to WAV to make a CD.
Of course I could convert them to WAV one by one using software (Roxio) already on my computer,
but it’s really time consuming.
I am looking for free software to batch process from mp3 to wav.
Any suggestions?
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Batch process from MP3 to WAV

Postby Wheat King » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:52 am

Hi Cinde, I don't think you need to convert them to wav's. If your end goal is to create a cd that will play in a player. You can use iTunes or Windows Media Player to burn to disk. You just have to make sure that the create Audio CD is selected.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:30 am

I agree. You don't have to convert - you just in effect make a list of the files (MP3's) and burn.

Just FYI in case it happens to be a concern in the future, writing your MP3 files to CD and then re-ripping them removes all DRM (digital rights management) stuff :-D
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Cinde » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:21 pm

Jamal and Bob,
Last night I created a play list of the MP3s in WMP and told it to burn to CD. I made sure Audio CD was selected with slow burn speed. On each of the 16 files I watched it go through the processes of Analyzing, Preparing, Pending, Writing to Disc, and finally Complete and on the very last one it said Finalizing Disc. The light on the CD burner was on, and it seemed to be burning. But when I try to play it, the computer tells me it is a blank disc. I turned it over and it does appear that something was indeed burned.

I tried playing the CD in 3 different drives (2 on this computer and 1 on a different computer) as well as trying it in my portable CD player where I got message that said “no disc” and in the car’s CD player I got an E-20 error.

When I looked at the CD in both my D and E drives on this computer tell me the Sony CD-R Audio disc is still blank with 702 MB total size, 631 MB free space, UDF2.00 file system.

I repeated the process earlier today using a 2nd CD writer and got the same results.

I finally solved the problem by using Roxio Sound Editor. It actually has more functions than I had looked at before. To my delight I found it has a round about batch conversion function. With some experimenting I was able to burn 2 audio CDs. The first directly from the MP2 files, the second from the files I batch processed from MP3 to WAV. Both the CDs play on all my CD players.

Now I'm happy ::c25::
I am still interested in an MP3 to WAV batch converter for future reference. Something might be easier than the round about in Roxio.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Wheat King » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:29 pm

Wish I could help with a technical explanation to explain why this doesn't work for you. All I can say is that I can burn a music disc in minutes (using iTunes) Could there be something with the files that you're using with Amazon? Have you tried other music files? Curious to see if you have the same problem.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:10 pm

I have never had a problem burning audio cds with WMP or iTunes, that is just strange Cinde.
It looks like you didn't miss anything when you set it all up, and as you say it even looked like it was burning and finalized at the end.
The fact that Roxio did it without problems is even stranger. I do use RecordNow a lot to create CDs for music and MP3s, that is similar to Roxio.
Maybe it would just be best to stick with what works rather than :pull:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:55 pm

I just tried burning an MP3 to disc in Windows Media PLayer, but when I look at the contents on the disc, it is just a copy of the MP3 file. It's not a music disc, but a data disc. Thank goodness I used Phantom Drive and didn't waste a disc.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:59 pm

I see what went wrong. In WMP under the burn button are options to burn a music cd or a data cd. The Data CD option was selected on my menu.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:18 pm

Jet Audio will convert MP3 to WAV without having to create an Audio CD***. Best of all it's free and has a high rating from users.

http://www.download.com/JetAudio-Basic/ ... 13740.html

Before you get to far into Jet Audio wasting time trying to figure out how to convert, first click the conversion button in the upper right set of buttons of the COWON Media Center. It's the button with an arrow on each end. That will bring up a dialog where you add your MP3 songs to a list and do the conversion.

***Edit: As long as the MP3 files don't have DRM. I'm not sure what happens if you try one with DRM.

Just downloaded an MP3 from Amazon.com for 79 cents. There is an Amazon link on the Jet Player. My first download of songs from Amazon was Hot 'n Cold. Was able to immediately convert that to WAV. Amazon also has a special downloader that will put the song in your WMP and iTunes library. I just went for the straight download with my browser and saved it in my download folder.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Cinde » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:29 am

Thanks RJ, I'll give Jet Audio a look.

The Album I bought was an old one the I haven't been able to find locally.
I also found quite a few "free" downloads while searching the Amazon site. Several holiday songs are HERE.

RJ Johnston wrote: Amazon also has a special downloader that will put the song in your WMP and iTunes library.

I used Amazon's downloader. I liked the way it downloaded only one at a time with the rest in que to automatically start downloading in sequence.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:59 am

Here's another app that will batch convert MP3 to WAV. This is a free application from MAGIX called Music Manager 2007.

http://www.magix.com/us/free-downloads/ ... c-manager/

After you select the MP3 songs on the left, click the "Selection" button under the heading "Convert and Transfer to Playlist" in the panel that's to the left of the playlist. That will pop-up the conversion dialog.

I had to uninstall the Jet application because it installed video codecs that interferred with something I was doing. I suppose I could have lowered the merit ratings. Easy enough to install it again I guess.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats