They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

how to make audio book

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

how to make audio book

Postby MGadAllah » Thu May 30, 2013 4:05 am

I've a lot of books that needed to be converted to audio format.

Please how can I do so!?

Note:- no copy right violation as it is a very old books and here in Egypt it is not violating any law.
Just learning!
Mohamed GadAllah
MGadAllah
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: how to make audio book

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu May 30, 2013 7:22 am

Do you have recordings of someone reading these books, Mohamed? Or do they only exist in book form?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby MGadAllah » Thu May 30, 2013 9:08 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Do you have recordings of someone reading these books, Mohamed? Or do they only exist in book form?

Just book form
Just learning!
Mohamed GadAllah
MGadAllah
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu May 30, 2013 3:46 pm

I don't know of software that will automatically read the book from the page. Sorry.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu May 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Most likely would need to scan the books page by page and run the pages through a OCR program, then a text to voice program.
Would be lots of work, but Bob might know of a simpler way :) Bob knows all and sees all 8-[
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Thu May 30, 2013 8:31 pm

Chuck is correct. The books will need to be scanned, converted to text using OCR, and processed through a text to voice application. There is really no simpler way. I assume these are Arabic texts. If so, there can be significant issues with intonation and accuracy. As I understand it, normal Arabic is written largely without short vowel sounds. The more the text has vowels and diacritical marks, the better the conversion to speech. If critical, you may need to spend some time making changes to improve vocalization.

Arabic voices are available. See this demo and select an Arabic voice: http://www.acapela-group.com/text-to-speech-interactive-demo.html. You can also get some text to speech software that provide Arabic voices. For example, NaturalReader
Bob

Postby MGadAllah » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:02 am

I am sorry if I did not made myself clear.
I mean to read the book by my own voice.
This is a copy of what I tried : http://archive.org/download/Golden.Ency ... 2_0160.MP3
I do understand that it is in Arabic and you will not understand but just give me your impression about my voice.
As you can see in the background there are unwanted voices.
Just learning!
Mohamed GadAllah
MGadAllah
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:21 am

In that case, Mohamed, all you need to do is record your reading into your computer and save it as an mp3 file. You can do this with the free program Audacity.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Audacity will also allow you to edit out your mistakes.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby MGadAllah » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:23 am

Yes :) that is what I did but my problem is the noise and distortion in the background.
This is I uploaded a sample for what I did.
I mean I am asking for advise what I should do to make it really silence in the background.
Just learning!
Mohamed GadAllah
MGadAllah
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:22 am

A good condenser microphone will help tremendously. Here's what I use for my tutorials.
http://www.amazon.com/CAD-U37-Condenser ... microphone

It records in a cardioid pattern, so its focus is only on what is directly in front of it and very little background noise. Naturally, being very close to the microphone will also give you the best sound.

Audacity also has tools for reducing noise and enhancing the audio. But it will give you the best advantage if you've recorded it on a good microphone in the first place.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby MGadAllah » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:33 am

You mean this microphone is better then my Olympus voice recorder?
Just learning!
Mohamed GadAllah
MGadAllah
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:27 pm

...my problem is the noise and distortion in the background...I mean I am asking for advise what I should do to make it really silence in the background.

There is a lot of hum in the sample. It sounds similar to a recording on a tape recorder where the motor noise is being picked up. It is a solid state voice recorder, correct?

First, try to minimize the background noise as much as possible before you make the recording. Can you record in a room where you can be by yourself? Ideally, you should try to avoid a lot of hard surfaces which will reflect sound and add echoes and noise. Carpets, furniture, and drapes on the windows would be great if available as they will absorb sound.

A directional voice recorder would work best as it will pick up sounds in a preferred direction and suppress sounds in other directions. An Omni-directional recorder will pick up sound from all directions. The microphone Steve mentioned is a directional microphone. That particular one is designed to work with a computer.

The free program Audacity can be used to edit your recording and contains a noise removal effect that you can use to reduce the background noise. Audacity needs a few seconds of ambient sound as a sample to determine what it needs to remove. When you begin recording, wait a few seconds before speaking to provide the needed sample. When you edit the recording in Audacity, select the sample area and then apply the noise removal effect. When the dialog box comes up, click on the "Get noise profile" button. Next, select the entire audio clip and apply the noise removal effect again. This time, adjust the noise reduction and sensitivity parameters as needed to remove the noise. Click on the "Preview" button to hear how the parameter changes affect the sound. When you get it the best it will be, click on OK to apply the noise reduction to the clip. Afterwards, you can trim off the silent sample area.

Here is a before and after sample processed with Audacity. The reduction parameter was 30db and the sensitivity parameter was 2.44db.
BeforeAfter.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby Chris B » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:32 pm

Steve is right about a cardioid microphone. It will make a big difference. Making the room as silent as possible is the best start - there is also some echo in the room you are recording in - it probably has hard walls. If you can do your recording in a softer place (bedroom or soft sofa) it might reduce the echo. You can also apply a "Noise Gate" this can reduce an unwanted noise floor (PC Fans etc.) and a compressor can make your voice sound a lot "closer".

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyqui ... Noise_Gate

I applied noise removal, a noise gate and a compressor to the file you uploaded using Audacity. Here's the result:

802_0160_cjb.mp3

Edit: Looks like bob did the same thing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby MGadAllah » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:13 am

Sorry for late reply.
I wasn't had any internet connection at home because I was remade a lot of re-designs at my home.
I am really can not express enough my much appreciation for all members here in the forum and I am not going so far when I say you are as real good friends for me.
I am considering buying a good microphone as you suggested earlier. But I've realized some extra stuffs suggested buy amazon like this one:
CAD Audio EPF-15A Pop Filter on 15-Inch Gooseneck

Also I've found some other microphones suggested by amazon as well, so are they any better when they are more expensive or not necessary?

So please advise.

Please, another thing ... I am using sound forge since a while and used to it and never used audiocity ever before. So if I want to do the same audio effect, where to do so in sound forge?

Thanks a lot :)
Just learning!
Mohamed GadAllah
MGadAllah
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby MGadAllah » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:02 pm

hope to find help and sorry if i did something or mis beheave.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Just learning!
Mohamed GadAllah
MGadAllah
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Next

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats