They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

VOB files from DVD skip between files

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

VOB files from DVD skip between files

Postby UKPal » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:38 am

Hi All

I've always had this issue when importing from a DVD into Premiere Elements but never asked if there is anything I can do about it!

Importing goes well and then when I play back the files on the Timeline I miss a few frames between each consecutive .vob i.e. between VOBs VTS_02.1.VOB and VTS_02.2.VOB etc

Is there a 'cure' I wonder?

I know that dealing with VOBs is perhaps not really Premiere's forte - however if the ability to import is there, it is disappointing if there is no remedy for the skipped frames.

Can anyone advise me as to why it does this and even better would be how to get PreEl not to do so!

Thanks in anticipation!
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: VOB files from DVD skip between files

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:04 am

Hi UKPal !!
There really isn't much you can do within Premiere Elements, it seems to always lose a few frames between the VOB files. When it has been a problem for me I have captured the DVD with my Pyro Link directly from a DVD player, that doesn't miss anything. There may be other ways, I'm sure others will chime in as this is a problem many people face.
Hope you are doing well :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:35 am

Also, did you use Premiere Elements' Get Media/From PC DVD or DVD Disc tool to rip the files from the disc?

This often works better than merely copying the VOBs to your hard drive and then using Import to bring them into your project.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby UKPal » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:23 am

Hi Steve - so pleased you remember me :-D

Hope all's good with you.

Yup, pulled them in using the tool within PreEl straight from the disc.

Your advice re Pyro is noted.

I have also tried importing the VOBs using the full fat Premiere and the same issue occurs which surprised me!

I look forward to further responses and maybe a suggested 'fix' ;)
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Gerlinde » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:23 am

I had once to re-edit a 2h video burned to DVD. I tried PRE first, but gave up pretty soon. It was just too frustrating. I used Magix Movie Edit Pro 17 instead, it worked way better for something like that.
You could download the 30 day trial and use it to convert your .vob files to .avi for editing in PRE. The trial version is the full version and no watermark is added. The newest version is now MEP 18.
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby Bob » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi UKPal,

I remember you too!

The problem importing VOBs is that consecutive VOBs are meant to be read as if they were one contiguous file. There is a limit as to how large a VOB can be and the DVD authoring software simply splits the output buffer at the file size boundary without regard to headers or control blocks. The part of the buffer that didn't get written to the end of the first vob gets written to the start of the next. If you open a second or later VOB, there is a high probability that it will not start at the beginning of a video block. If the importing software does not compensate for this by combining it with the last block from the previous VOB, you can lose video frames and the audio may possibly get out of sync. The Adobe importer apparently doesn't do this.

The solution is to manually concatenate the VOBs before importing.
Bob

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:20 am

Bob wrote:The solution is to manually concatenate the VOBs before importing.

Now there is a term I haven't heard since the days of DOS. In essence, Bob is saying to open a DOS window by running CMD.EXE from the Windows Start Menu.

1 Open Start and type cmd.exe into the text box. (Select and run cmd.exe). It will open a window that is typically all black with white lettering.
for example: "C:\Users\YourUserNameHere>

2. Assuming the VOB files are in the same directory (e.g. C:\VOBTemp), change to the directory by doing the following:
cd c:\vobtemp

3. Concatenate the Vobs by typing the following:

Copy VTS_02.01.VOB + VTS_02.02.VOB + VTS_02.03.VOB VTS_02_ALL.VOB

This will copy 3 VOBs into a new file called VTS_02_ALL.VOB that you could then use with PrEl. If there are more than 3, just keep adding them to the command line and connect then with a PLUS sign in between.

HTH,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:00 am

Wow! Great trick, Vernon!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby UKPal » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:20 am

Many thanks to Chuck, gpecht, Bob (ah yes, another 'face' from the past), Steve and Vernon for the very helpful responses.

First, I shall try concatenating following Vernon's great explanation.

This forum still ROCKS! =D>
UKPal
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats