They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Converting VHS with possible macrovision

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

Converting VHS with possible macrovision

Postby AVITRY » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:17 am

Hello all. This is the first time I've had to deal with this situation. A company purchased training material from another company that produced it on VHS. Years have passed and they wanted it put on DVD.

They contacted the producing company which they purchased it from and were given the OK in writing to reproduce the VHS to DVD for their use only.

Being given this letter copy I made a conversion using my Canopus 300, which btw is supposed to be able to overcome macrovision by holding down two buttons on top of the converter for 3 seconds.

Anyway, the result is the dvd with menus plays fine on all computers. But it is choppy on 4 test set top DVD players, to the point of not being able to view it properly. One set top player even says "no dvd present"

PE3 took in the conversion from the canopus 300 and the resulting avi was transcoded in PE3 to mpeg, and then that was menued in DVD Workshop. All without apparent issues until played on a set top DVD player. Using verbatim dvd -r

Has anyone run across something like this? I'm only assuming it is relative to copy protection but I dont know.

In checking the DVD It does have both video and audio ts folders. FWIW .

thanks,
joe
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Converting VHS with possible macrovision

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:42 am

Hi Joe,
Did you only make 1 DVD or have you tried multiple DVDs with the same results?
I would be surprised if multiple DVDs would have the same problems on all 4 DVD players.

Also,
Your choice of media is the same as what I use but I am thinking that you may have burned too fast.
8x or slower seems to work best on set top DVD players, the slower the better.
Some DVDs now will burn at 16x and faster but you don't want to do that.
Premiere Elements burns at the fastest possible speed so you will need to use another program to burn your DVDs, like Imageburn, so you can set the burn speed.

I am sure this is not a Copy Protection issue.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:54 am

Hi Chuck, 3 different DVDs were tried all with the same result. I always set my burn speed in DVD Workshop for 8x. I never attempt a burn at a faster speed. I've burned tons of DVDs without issue, but the company that gave me this VHS, informed me that the original producing company said there may well be a copy protection on the VHS.

Also, the computer I'm using has 2 DVD burners on it. I've tried using both. Same result.
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby AVITRY » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:46 pm

Update. Ok, so ... DVD Workshop has options for burning speed from a high of 24x down to 6x. I sure don't know where these software programs come up with these numbers since I recall them changing based on the DVD that is put in. You would think they could all be burned at 1x, but no, this program starts at 6x.

The one consistent thing about computers is, nothing is really consistent or makes sense. Hundreds of burns like this before at 8x and no problems.

I always thought the guys that program these things sitting for countless hours must make them crazy. Like when Windows shows an error message that says something like 'fault in module x86y04ufe440. Now, someone at Microsoft had to write that line of error message, they could have just as easily written something in english.

If anyone has seen the Marx Bros. movie day at the races with the scene of Groucho trying to decipher the book on which horse to pick, that reminds me of the quest we are asked to go on every time something happens to these computers. (If you haven't seen it you have to, and ... thanks to the irony of the marvel of modern computers, here is that scene.) :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LBIsDBC848

Anyway, I ALWAYS check off 8x. But, now, with this problem, and Chuck's reference to burning speed, I said, what the heck, I'll click it down to 6x and try one more time. Now it works. Although I'll admit, I haven't made as many tests with positive results as I did to get the negative ones. :)

It would have made more sense to me if it didn't. :-k

thanks,
joe
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats