They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Converting VHS to Digital Video files

Talk about anything audio here. From video narration to podcasting, MP3s to MP4s - whatever your flavor, this is the place.

Converting VHS to Digital Video files

Postby Tubby » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:24 am

Hi All,
I have a dozen old VHS and VHS-c home videos from ~15 years ago. I would like to convert to them to digital before the VHS tapes deteriorate and so that i can add them to my digital home video collection.
My main concern is ensuring the conversion is the best quality possible.
I will probably try to find a business that does this service but in choosing the right place, I would like to know what method/hardware/encoding is the best?
I would like the videos to be in a widely compatible format but with high quality encoding.. I was thinking x264 as .mp4's.
Any recommendations would be appreciated,
Thanks!
CAMCORDER: Canon Vixia HF S10
PC: Phenom X4 9750, 4Gb RAM, Win7 Ultimate 64 bit, LG Blu-Ray Burner BH10LS30, 2Gb Radeon HD 6950 , 25" 1920x1080 LCD
S/W: Premiere Elements 10, PowerDirector Ultra64 9
Tubby
New User
New User

Re: Converting VHS to Digital Video files

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:06 am

Hi Tubby and welcome to Muvipix. :wcm:

I see that you live in Canada so, as I am UK based, I can't really offer any advice or recommendations on companies that carry out VHS to digital conversions. I had a look at the user manual for the camera that you have and couldn't find any reference to 'pass through' either so that ruled out the do-it-yourself route.

Sorry that I can't help more but someone else may be along soon.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:56 am

My only qualification would be that the service company does the conversion to DV-AVI video. (Most will assume you just want it on DVD.) Other than that, you'll most certainly get good results from almost anybody you find on the internet.

The other option is to pick up a Canopus AVDC unit. (Or, if you can find them, the discontinued ADS Pyro AV Link.) For a street price of under $200, these devices attach between your VHS player and your computer, and they produce excellent results -- every bit as good as you'd get from a professional!

Don't confuse these with cheap digitizers like the Pinnacle Dazzle or Plextor digitizer. The Canopus and Pyro are true DV bridges -- designed to create high-quality, editable video to the DV-AVI format.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:56 am

The Dazzle converter uses a USB transfer and not firewire. A USB will have grainy video. For better quality convert the tapes using a product that is firewire. I use the Pyro AV Link with this setup: From the TV to converter box S video cable and the audio plugs only of an AV cable, from the converter box to the computer via firewire.

If you do not want to do this yourself try to find a local person to transfer to an external HD for you. That is if you want to edit the video. If not, straight to disc. I mailed a few tapes off before I started editing and was unhappy with the results and worried if I would see the tapes again. I now offer both types of conversions locally.

EDIT: The setup from the TV is actually from the VCR. The VCR is hooked up to the TV to adjust the VCR settings such as display which you want set to off & adjust other settings.

And Welcome to Muvipix!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to Editing / Conversion / Formats