They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

SOS! Discs will play on computer but not desktop player

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

SOS! Discs will play on computer but not desktop player

Postby George Tyndall » Fri May 13, 2011 8:13 pm

From my PRE7 HD timeline, I shared to Personal Computer two files: 1) one with the preset MPEG NTSC DVD Widescreen and 2) one with the preset MPEG2 1920x1080i 30.

Each file plays perfectly from the USB2.0 external HDD, using Windows Media Player.

Using ImgBurn, I burned 1) to a SD DVD and 2) to a Blu-ray disc.

The discs play normally with Windows Media Player on the machine in my signature but not with 1) the VLC player on the machine or 2) the desktop LG Blu-ray player. 2) is seen by the player a a Data disc, while 1) is not recognized at all.

Conclusion: There's something about burning discs with Img Burn that I am failing to understand.

Suggestions please!
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: SOS! Discs will play on computer but not desktop player

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri May 13, 2011 11:41 pm

You can't create a DVD or a Blu-ray movie that way. All Imgburn will do is burn the files you give it. It won't create a VIDEO_TS or Blu-ray folder structure with all the necessary files. You have to provide the whole VIDEO_TS structure with the files, like you get when you burn a DVD to a folder with Premiere Elements. Since you can't burn a Blu-ray movie to a folder in Premiere Elements, you are stuck.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby George Tyndall » Sat May 14, 2011 12:47 am

RJ Johnston wrote:You can't create a DVD or a Blu-ray movie that way. All Imgburn will do is burn the files you give it. It won't create a VIDEO_TS or Blu-ray folder structure with all the necessary files. You have to provide the whole VIDEO_TS structure with the files, like you get when you burn a DVD to a folder with Premiere Elements. Since you can't burn a Blu-ray movie to a folder in Premiere Elements, you are stuck.

So, when ImgBurn offers the choice "Burn Files/Folders to Disc," it means to create a data disc?

True, PRE7 won't burn a Blu-ray to folder, but once I have the MPEG 1920x1080i 30 file(s) on the HDD, PRE7 can use them to create either an Autoplay or a Disc with menus, and the discs can be either SD or blu-ray, right? And then ImgBurn will burn the disc images to folder, correct?

:?:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat May 14, 2011 1:41 am

ImgBurn will create a Data disc unless you give it a DVD or Blu-ray folder structure. If ImgBurn sees that your folder is a VIDEO_TS folder with the correct files in it, it will burn a DVD movie disc, not a data disc. I can't really say for sure about a Blu-ray movie file structure, but Imgburn probably recognizes that as a Blu-ray movie. The results should be the same as if you had burned a blu-ray disc in DVDAS or in Premiere Elements. To be safe you could try burning a short movie before burning a long movie.

Once you have burned a blu-ray disc from Premiere Elements, copy the files and folders from the disc back to your HDD. Then use Imgburn to burn Files/Folders to a blu-ray disc. ImgBurn won't create files/folders from a disc, it will only create an ISO file, which you would have to mount as a virtual blu-ray drive using something like Phantom burner so you could read the individual files and folders.

I actually would prefer to write the files and folders to an image file first, then burn the image file to disc. I've always had trouble with dual-layer DVD's if I tried burning from files/folders. Always been successful if I burned one image file.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat May 14, 2011 2:14 am

ImgBurn does create a BDMV video disc. In fact, after adding the BDMV folder to the burn list, Imgburn asked me if I wanted it to also copy the CERTIFICATE folder. Then it said I had the wrong file system for a BDMV video and if I would let it change it to the correct format, UDF 2.5.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby George Tyndall » Sat May 14, 2011 9:00 am

RJ, my workflow has been to burn the SD and Blu-ray discs from my HD PRE7 timeline and then, in case I need more copies of either in the future, create ISO images of each on my HDD.

What is the advantage of your suggestion

Once you have burned a blu-ray disc from Premiere Elements, copy the files and folders from the disc back to your HDD. Then use Imgburn to burn Files/Folders to a blu-ray disc.

when you also state that, for future burning of discs, an image file is preferable to files folders

I actually would prefer to write the files and folders to an image file first, then burn the image file to disc. I've always had trouble with dual-layer DVD's if I tried burning from files/folders. Always been successful if I burned one image file

:?:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat May 14, 2011 10:53 am

George Tyndall wrote:RJ, my workflow has been to burn the SD and Blu-ray discs from my HD PRE7 timeline and then, in case I need more copies of either in the future, create ISO images of each on my HDD.

I thought you wanted to burn the disc images to a folder, as to a VIDEO_TS folder structure. I just misread your last sentence here in a prior post:

George Tyndall wrote:True, PRE7 won't burn a Blu-ray to folder, but once I have the MPEG 1920x1080i 30 file(s) on the HDD, PRE7 can use them to create either an Autoplay or a Disc with menus, and the discs can be either SD or blu-ray, right? And then ImgBurn will burn the disc images to folder, correct?

So now, yes, creating an ISO image on your HDD would be the way to go. Then use Imgburn to burn the ISO image on additional discs.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby George Tyndall » Sat May 14, 2011 12:39 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:So now, yes, creating an ISO image on your HDD would be the way to go. Then use Imgburn to burn the ISO image on additional discs.

:tx:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to DVD Authoring