They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Exporting from PRE8 for Use in SDVDA 5 (P/S).

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Exporting from PRE8 for Use in SDVDA 5 (P/S).

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:55 pm

I thought I would check to verify that you can export (Share) hi-def MPEG-2 and AVCHD from Premiere Elements 8 and then use those clips in Sony DVD Architect Studio 5 and Sony DVD Architect Pro 5 without recompression when creating a Blu-ray or AVCHD disc. It seems you can.

In the Studio version you can import the multiplexed .mt2 file, but for Pro you need to export from Premiere Elements 8 using "None" for the multiplexing mode on the Multiplexing tab in Advanced settings. That will create 2 elementary streams, one video and one audio file. Then you can import the elementary streams into DVDA Pro 5. The audio file will load automatically when you import the .m2v file. If I select the "TS" option on the Multiplexing tab and try to import the resulting .m2t file, DVDA Pro 5 hangs.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Exporting from PRE8 for Use in SDVDA 5 (P/S).

Postby Ken Jarstad » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:04 am

Robert, I found that to make an AVCHD disk I had to change the Mbps value to ~15.00 AND select YES for Recompress or I would get a buffer underflow error because my .m2v files were ~25 Mbps. If the Mbps from PRE8 is ~15.00 Mbps or less this shouldn't be a problem.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:18 am

Ken, Thanks for pointing that out.

I remember seeing a message in DVDA about a bitrate limit of 25 MB if burning to a DVD. I believe that's total for both video and audio, but I would have to try it out. Possibly increasing the DVDA project's total bitrate from default 18 to something higher would prevent underflow errors.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:17 am

There has been a lot of discussion in the past regarding the buffer underflow error in DVD Architect Pro and it being a bug. This thread discusses it, it is rather long I am afraid:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/for ... eID=682280
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:27 pm

Thanks Paul. I did read through a lot of the posts about the buffer underflow. I get the error with exports from Cyberlink and Corel products with seemingly no way to fix it other than to recompress again. I was surprised when the exports from Premiere Elements 8 didn't cause those problems for me.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:30 pm

Maybe it's simplistic on my part but if seems as though exporting from your editor at an acceptable bitrate for the final product would not require a re-compress. ::C
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:16 pm

Ken Jarstad wrote:Maybe it's simplistic on my part but if seems as though exporting from your editor at an acceptable bitrate for the final product would not require a re-compress. ::C

Exporting at 15Mb works fine with Premiere Elements but not with the other NLEs
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:58 am

All the blu-ray discs on DVD that I created in DVDAS5 are no longer accepted by my Sony Blu-ray player model BDP-S370 after a recent software update to the player. The only "AVCHD" disc that I can play back now are ones created in PowerDirector 8.

This is very disappointing.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:18 pm

Uh, oh. Perhaps it is time to give Sony feedback. I think this is a serious issue.

Recall last year when some of us here were lamenting that Sony had tied up the Blu-ray format so it looked like us home video makers were locked out? Recently, with my successes with both Blu-ray and AVCHD it appeared that Sony was actually tweaking the AVCHD format to make it even more compatible. Some are speculating that Sony software was actually creating a Blu-ray folder structure on regular DVDs.

It may take awhile to sort these problems out. Feedback to Sony seems like a good idea to me. As for me, my Sony player still works - so why should I connect it up to the Internet for an update? :-
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:32 pm

I needed to update to enable NetFlix and all the other video and audio on demand services.

Anyway, Sony told me that I could get an exchange. Tech support told me that there was probably a problem with the update and to reset the player by pressing and holding the STOP+POWER buttons for 10 seconds. After that I should have been able to redo the update, but I wasn't able to. However, I believe the update was successful the first time and exchanging units won't fix the problem.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:42 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:I needed to update to enable NetFlix and all the other video and audio on demand services.

Anyway, Sony told me that I could get an exchange. Tech support told me that there was probably a problem with the update and to reset the player by pressing and holding the STOP+POWER buttons for 10 seconds. After that I should have been able to redo the update, but I wasn't able to. However, I believe the update was successful the first time and exchanging units won't fix the problem.

While I was responding, I was burning a disc with ImgBurn after I used AVCHD-Patcher to patch the index file in the BDMV folder. That played back in my BDP!!!

I ripped the structure from the disc I created with DVDAS5, the disc that wouldn't play in the BDP, back to my HDD. The I ran AVCHD-Patcher and then burned the structure back to a DVD-RW disc with Imgburn.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:53 pm

I have a copy of AVCHD-patcher but hadn't played with it because all my disks have been playing fine.

AVCHD-patcher is a rather "minimalist" utility, isn't it? Are you saying that it will make AVCHD disks playable now? Which option did you use? What exactly did it change in the disk folder structure? When I click on the link a web page appears full of oriental characters.

This is interesting because according to wikipedia AVCHD disks support 8.3 filenames which means we should be seeing xxxxxx.mts but my files all have xxxxxx.m2ts, just like Blu-rays do.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:28 pm

AVCHD-Patcher 1.06 changed only index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv in the root of BDMV. There's a BACKUP folder with those files, but those two files in there weren't changed by AVCHD-Patcher.

I left HDD unselected, and selected 0200 for INDX.

The web page is basically not readable.

This utility turned what looked like a BDMV on DVD into what looked like an AVCHD disc to my Sony BDP-S370. After the firmware update, I couldn't play BDMV on DVD, but I could before.

Other NLEs such as PowerDirector8 and MEP 16+ that literally say "AVCHD" on the disc creation dialogs worked fine before and work after the firmware update without using AVCHD-Patcher.

For reference, the firmware update to Sony BDP-S370 is M03.R.623.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Something else I tried. I burned a Blu-ray disc with menus in Premiere Elements 8 to a Phantom Drive virtual 25GB BD. I then ripped the files and folders (using AnyDVD HD, not necessary with vista or 7) from the virtual 25GB BD to my HDD. I then ran AVCHD-Patcher to update the index. Then I used ImgBurn to burn a BD Video to a DVD-RW 4.7GB disc formatted with UDF 2.5. That played in the Sony BDP-S370.

One thing that is disappointing with the pre8 menus is that after a scene or video finishes playing, the link/control does not go back to the menu, the disc just stops playing.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to DVD Authoring