They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

SRT Subtitle Files: Which Authoring App is Best?

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

SRT Subtitle Files: Which Authoring App is Best?

Postby jdanniel » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi everyone.

I just began learning about SRT files a couple of days ago. As of right now, I don't know much about them, but the format seems very promising to me, since I make tutorial movies. I've always wanted closed-captioning or subtitles in my movies, and now I think SRT files may be the best way to go.

My question is simple: Which DVD authoring programs support the SRT subtitle format, and of them, which one is best?

My DVD authoring program of choice is Sony DVD Architect 5.0, but it's not currently on my computer (because I haven't needed it in a while). Will that enable me to make menu-driven DVD's with subtitles based on srt files?

Thank you for your assistance!

J. Danniel
(Please feel free to call me Jd.)
jdanniel

Re: SRT Subtitle Files: Which Authoring App is Best?

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:31 pm

My question is simple: Which DVD authoring programs support the SRT subtitle format, and of them, which one is best?

I don't know of any standard DVD authoring programs that support SRT. You generally see this the other way around (DVD subtitles ripped from DVD, stored in SRT format) and you'll find a number of media players that will play SRT along with the ripped video file.

Sony DVD Architect 5.0 supports creation of DVD subtitles. If you want to use SRT, you'll need to convert that to a supported format. There is a free program called Subtitle Workshop that can convert SRT to DVD Architect Pro subtitle format. I don't know if Subtitle Workshop is still being developed though. There may be other programs like it, but I don't work with subtitles and haven't keep up with the field.
Bob

Re: SRT Subtitle Files: Which Authoring App is Best?

Postby jdanniel » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:35 pm

Hmmm....you brought up an interesting point.

Maybe it would be easier to import an AVI file, use Sony DVD Arch to create subtitles, create a DVD with it, and then convert the DVD back to AVI files with embedded subtitles?

Is that possible?

I'm going to have to dabble with this. I'm not sure, yet, exactly how to approach this.

Jd
jdanniel

Return to DVD Authoring