They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Converting from Analogue to Digital

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Converting from Analogue to Digital

Postby AnnetteH » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:50 pm

I have been converting my old VHS tapes to DVD using my Sony handy cam. The video goes from my VCR to the camera and then from the camera to the computer via fire wire. I use PE 3.0 to create my DVD's. Unfortunately my camera has developed power issues and is basically dead. I am thinking of getting a used camera on e-bay since they go for less than $100, but I am wondering if there is a better system that I could used to make my DVDs. I'll take any suggestions.
AnnetteH

Re: Converting from Analogue to Digital

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:17 pm

Hi Annette, Glad to see you around, it's been awhile :)

The handycam option is great and if you can get one for under $100 that works then it may be your best option.
There are also digital converters that will do the same job and maybe give you a little more quality.
The cost ranges from about $150 - lots of $$$$$

I use the ADS Pyro Link as do many of our members. Canopus also makes excellent digital converters that I would highly recommend. We have members that use those as well. So we can provide some help and support no matter what route you choose to go :)

The best converters still connect via Firewire to your computer just like the handycam.
Muvipix Store - Pyro Link
Muvipix Store - Canopus
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AnnetteH » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:07 pm

I checked out those links and I was wondering about this...
http://astore.amazon.com/chuckengelsco- ... B000VM60I8
AnnetteH

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:15 pm

In general the USB devices don't work. I tried many things a few years ago and the only thing that really worked was a digital converter like the Pyro Link. You won't be able to capture with Premiere Elements for sure, don't know what software comes with it or how good it is.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Paul LS » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:55 am

I agree with Chuck, I probably tried all the other USB devices that he didn't try and none of them really work satisfactorily. A few problems are; 1) that they will not work with Premiere Elements, 2) they are very prone to dropping frames, 3) audio sync issues and 4) generally only capture in MPEG2 which can be an issue to edit in Premiere Elements and needs re-rendering reducing quality.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to DVD Authoring