They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Rewrite blue ray disks?

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Rewrite blue ray disks?

Postby jerrymac50 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:49 pm

I bought some of the BD-RE thinking that you can re write with them. I guess I'm doing something wrong. When I burn a dvd using PE7 thats it. Some salesmen at Frys said after I finalized it you can't rewrite on that disk. Before I buy some more disks someone please let me knowe what's up. Thank-you.
jerrymac50
New User
New User

Re: Rewrite blue ray disks?

Postby Bob » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:46 pm

Blu-ray RE discs are rewritable. You just have to erase the disc before it can be rewritten. How are you trying to erase the disc?
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:52 am

Bob wrote:Blu-ray RE discs are rewritable.

Certainly are. I use them to avoid producing expensive 'coasters'. In the UK the Verbatim BD discs that I use are about UK£5, so they are expensive when compared to standard DVDs. They are even more expensive here in Italy where I am presently living.

Using this method of checking my BD project on my TV/BD player before I burn to the final BD disc saves some angst and potentially cash. :-D Just call me a skinflint... ::C
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby jerrymac50 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:42 pm

You know, I think I was reformating them not erase. I'll try that next time. Thank you.
jerrymac50
New User
New User

Postby Bobby » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:00 pm

Be careful. The term "formatting" generally is not used with CDs or DVDs.

The only time it is relevant is when the CD or DVD is being setup to emulate a Windows file system volume, or what is called "packet writing". The various disk writing programs call it different things (UDF, Mt. Rainier) but it is definitely something you should stay away from for audio or video work.

You do not ever need to format a CD or DVD to write files on it. It is used only when you want to prepare a volume that you can have the ability to read and write files individually as you would on a hard drive. But the method used is such a kludge that you would be far better off without it.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to DVD Authoring